West Coast Vs Geelong, Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Another game we should have won, but came up short.

Once again our fitness and skill levels are not at AFL standard.

Nick Nat's mark omg what a *****ing grab!!!!

Nothing wrong with our fitness level based on what we saw last night. For the last quarter we were two runners down with Selwood and Butler sidelined so considering the intensity level we maintained across 3 1/2 quarters IMO fitness wasn't the problem.

Skills and turnovers however was where we lost it, people can say young teams turn it over more but its players such as Waters, Embley and Selwood who need to reduce their errors.

Even so Waters was increadible last night and Embley did play much better.

Not happy with the crowd having a laugh when Kennedy comes in for his set shots. I will personally slap anyone around me who continues to do this.

Yes - he has a wierd runup. Get over it and stop putting him off by laughing at him.

Yeah i swear that first goal he missed was because of that, it was loud i could hear it on tv:eek: f***en disgrace if people continue with that.:thumbsdown:

Yeah i swear that first goal he missed was because of that, it was loud i could hear it on tv:eek: f***en disgrace if people continue with that.:thumbsdown:

Kennedy might aswell get use to it because it won't stop. If it looks funny then the people will laugh regardless of your sensitivity to this issue.
You can't stop the crowd. When Kennedy starts doing the funny run up- do you expect everyone to not laugh and hold it in.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME:rolleyes:

Kennedy might aswell get use to it because it won't stop. If it looks funny then the people will laugh regardless of your sensitivity to this issue.
You can't stop the crowd. When Kennedy starts doing the funny run up- do you expect everyone to not laugh and hold it in.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME:rolleyes:

He may have to get used to the man on the mark tyring to put him off like someone did last night. That was amusing because... hey i haven't seen that before.

Kennedys runup is amusing.... for the first couple of times. If we need to continue having a chuckle at our own player when he is just going through his own routine that is proven to be pretty accurate then i worry about the mentality of some of our own supporters.

Another game we should have won, but came up short.

Once again our fitness and skill levels are not at AFL standard.

Nick Nat's mark omg what a *****ing grab!!!!
Losing a runner really hurt us

I don't normally complain about the umpires because i think usually teams get there fair share of bad calls but they were ****ing horrendous tonight.
Seriously, you must be having a gag. How many times did the whistle go and a random free no one spotted went to the Eagles. It was 24-17 in your favour and 2 goals to 0 from direct frees. End of story.

Seriously, you must be having a gag. How many times did the whistle go and a random free no one spotted went to the Eagles. It was 24-17 in your favour and 2 goals to 0 from direct frees. End of story.
So many 50/50 calls went your way. The freekick counts neans little, we got a number of inconsequential ones. And your star studded midfield never, ever get pinged fot HTB, especially Ablett.

Perhaps referring to umpires in general?

They were absolutely shocking last night, the game was really ruined in parts because of it.

Even though the freekick count was well in our favor, there were a lot of HTB and dropping the ball decisions that should have gone our way and didn't.

YA.. 20 disposals 80% effective, nice goal on the run and 4 tackles after being out for a while, solid prefomance IMO. Oh and grats on the "unamed" baby:)

Yep, no flies on Dalziel in that performance - very good game and will hold his place in the team for the Richmond game. Liked his game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The criticism of McKenzie is just down right crazy.
Killed Pods last night.
Defensively, he's fantastic.
He might do alright on his direct opponent but he turns it over constantly and gives away too many cheap free kicks. All his good work is cancelled out and he remains a spud.

great effort by the boys to push geelong ,some thoughts

mckinley has really improved his work ethic out of sight to become a valueable player now

lecca and kennedy are A graders now

also we have beau waters who has been allowed to develop nicely away from the hbf .

He might do alright on his direct opponent but he turns it over constantly and gives away too many cheap free kicks. All his good work is cancelled out and he remains a spud.

...he had one free against last week. And one against the week before. He gave away 0 against Melbourne, Fremantle and Hawthorn. His only bad week free-kicks-against wise was Saints, with 3.
He didn't have too many turnovers last night.
You have an agenda.

I have to agree - there's no way MacKenzie's good work is cancelled out by his errors. He's given away 5 frees all year and his disposal has been arlight recently.

In fact our tall defenders have been so good that no tall forward has gotten away from us since Roughead in round 7, which Glass would have to wear.

I think the last forward to bath MacKenzie would have been Jon Brown, in round 1. I can't recall if MacKenzie spent time on Pavlich, who kicked 5 on us, and Bradshaw got his goals on Glass. Those 4 blokes (Roughead, Pavlich, Bradshaw and Brown) are the only tall forwards we haven't contained and a lot of the issue has been with Glass.

I have to agree - there's no way MacKenzie's good work is cancelled out by his errors. He's given away 5 frees all year and his disposal has been arlight recently.

In fact our tall defenders have been so good that no tall forward has gotten away from us since Roughead in round 7, which Glass would have to wear.

I think the last forward to bath MacKenzie would have been Jon Brown, in round 1. I can't recall if MacKenzie spent time on Pavlich, who kicked 5 on us, and Bradshaw got his goals on Glass. Those 4 blokes (Roughead, Pavlich, Bradshaw and Brown) are the only tall forwards we haven't contained and a lot of the issue has been with Glass.

Well for Roughead is was junktime goals. Both Pavlich and Brown were pulling goals out of their ass. Not much any backman can do about that.

As I said before I was lucky enough to get to your game this week through a workmate and I'll be honest I really thought I was going to see a clinic.

After 5 minutes I was getting very chirpy, Geelong had slammed on 4 straight fairly comfortably and the box was pretty quiet.

However, the response from your players was fantastic.

A few of the senior blokes, namely Cox, Selwood and Priddis had a fairly long chat in the middle, your forwards converged and Wilkes, surprisingly was barking orders to the back six.

That was the first time I had seen your side actively look to transfer the ball through the middle, the first time I had seen your side play on as much as they could.

The attack on the ball and the ball carrier was also pretty impressive.

Even though you lost that's the first sign of life I've seen in terms of playing a brand of footy that's going to be competitive.

In the end I think the class of Geelong just kicked in, your footskills dropped off notably in the last but if you keep that level you will win more games than you lose.

Only negative for me was the game of Hurn, if you're going to peel off your man attack the contest, kill it.

5 or so times he found himself standing in no mans land, no good to anyone there.

Finish on a postive.

Dalziell - running machine - attack on the footy :thumbsu:

Dalziell - running machine - attack on the footy :thumbsu:

Dalziell's work rate is superb and I am a big fan of his decisions and disposal. However you ironically mentioned our attack on the footy and Razzle Dazzle in the same line something that I think he is very poor at. I am guessing you meant it in terms of our side as a whole which I agree with the triple D train often sharks out of a contest ever so slightly when it was his hard ball to win.

Dalziell's work rate is superb and I am a big fan of his decisions and disposal. However you ironically mentioned our attack on the footy and Razzle Dazzle in the same line something that I think he is very poor at. I am guessing you meant it in terms of our side as a whole which I agree with the triple D train often sharks out of a contest ever so slightly when it was his hard ball to win.

Should have been a + sign.

His workrate is unreal, I watched him handball on the outer wing back to Hurn I think it was, you then switched it and he was the link on the opposing half forward flank.

Mackie just couldnt stay with him.

Fantastic effort from the lads.

Just a couple of points i'd like to make.
Firstly to the players who are oft criticised by many a poster.
Watch the first quarter and see how good Priddis is at reading the ball at stoppages. And not just because he gets it rammed down his throat as cudos to Geelongs Blake i thought he was very admirable. Pridiss didnt get a lot of direct clearances from all his work as he would often be beset by a couple of Geelong players but you cant clear it unless you get it.
Adam Selwood was pivotal and it would of been interesting if he would of gone on to Chapo after Thomson started playing Gazza forward as Chapo murdered us.
Embley was terrific tonite. He actually runs with the footy and when asked to play inside(which he is starting to be too o0ld for) he didnt let Woosha or the team down.

Other points

Swift was at times very good. I disagree with people who don't say he's quick enough. I think that Tom's problem is that when he runs with the footy he isn't bursting away with the footy and this causes him to get caught or pressurised. If you watch his first effort with the footy he actually does burst and then beats oppo to deliver. This is what he doesn't do enough off- he just runs without that initial burst. Watch Chapo. Gets ball bursts away slows to compose and then deliver to advantage. Tom is definately quick when he sprints.

Finally Geelong had Varcoe(who i thought was brilliant) they also have Stokes and Brynes. We really don't have 1 of these style of players let alone 3. These players i believe were the difference as i thought defensively we were good - without running enough- but good still. Midfield really battled hard and had their moments and a functioning forward line.

Final point for me is about the lack of run from the backline. When geelong were struggling because of great defensive zone pressure they came out after half time and their backline started running the ball and creating the loose player. Well we have Mackenzie who is not slow for a big bloke but i'll be buggered if i can remeber more than a handful of times in aseason where he will run the footy out with purpose. Schofield looks great when he runs, Waters actually runs and Sheppard and Stevo do sometimes. That's just the backhalf but run from the back is also getting the mids to do it as well from deep. We slowed and switched which is great to create space to run, but we still don't run after switching we look to hit up key targets up the field and this where kicking to advantage comes in and to be honest we generally are not that good in this area(getting better)

Dalziell problem isnt his kicking, generally spots targets pretty well by foot. It's his awarness and ability to hit targets by hand under limited pressure. From the preason matches all the way through the season he has missed targets by hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Vs Geelong, Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back