West Coast Vs Geelong, Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is a bit harsh on Ebert I think. Fair enough his kicking has been well below an acceptable level but I think he will be a good player. He is good overhead for a midfielder and I don't mid the way he goes about it.

we done everything in our power in that last quarter to give geelong the game.

we had moments in the game, but overall we stuffed it. it just illustrates where we're at as a side...lacking polish.

in saying that, our effort was fantastic. tackling pressure was immense, it's a bit annoying that we bring this type of game out against the best team...who we were destined to lose against anyway. if we played like this against lesser teams, we'd have won.

overall, a fairly good effort.

Mitch Brown, stay forward. he provides a very lively target who presents with agility and ferocity. more please.

A good effort overall and our endeavor can't be faulted. Well done to the boys on a great contest.

Every time Naitanui does something it really gets the crowd going - which gives the whole team a boost. Can't wait until he can do those things more consistently.

Brad Sheppard is going to be a gun. More players like him please.

Has it occurred to you that putting a tag on someone does not automatically mean they suddenly stop? Good players can beat a tag. Great players can beat multiple tags.

Why do you assume that WC just decided to let Chapman run around?

Because nobody was even near him. The amount of times centre bounce he was standing all alone and he get it almost every time. I don't assume anthing, I make astute observations.

Has it occurred to you that putting a tag on someone does not automatically mean they suddenly stop? Good players can beat a tag. Great players can beat multiple tags.

Why do you assume that WC just decided to let Chapman run around?

Plus tags are easier to shake in the 2nd half when players tire, physically and mentally. And i might add when one of your midfield rotation is missing.
I've been very critical of A Selwood this year but he was playing his best game for the year before he was taken out.

Ebert's kicking was just terrible.

But let me say his marking, running and handballing seems to have improved big time this year.

I'm not sure there is anything we can do about that kicking. Sure, we can work on it but in the meantime he should focus on handballing or kicking in situations where there is 0 risk of a turnover.

Thought Nicnat was really good, his ruckwork gets better every week, and tonight he had more of an input around the ground.

Dalziell, thought he was okay. Defenders all pretty good though Hurn didnt handball once and had efficiency of just 71%.

Swift was better, too. His handballing was generally on target, and he ran the lines - we won't win games, and we won't make our game plan work, if our pacy players don't take the game on. He is far from his best but he played one of his better games this year.

Embley's experience was important, though disposal still iffy at key times.

McKinley, Sheppard, Waters, Schofield all very good I thought. Butler and Adam Selwood were going well until injured. Scott Selwood took over Adam's role quite well in the 2nd half and did a pretty good job of restricting whoever he played on.

Everyone is a bit harsh on Ebert I think. Fair enough his kicking has been well below an acceptable level but I think he will be a good player. He is good overhead for a midfielder and I don't mid the way he goes about it.

Agreed. He makes great position and even though he makes some skill errors at least he had 5 shots on goal. Thats incredible when you look at the lack of goals from our other mids all year. Hopefully he converts them next time.

Mitch Brown, stay forward. he provides a very lively target who presents with agility and ferocity. more please.

Didnt they make it hard for Brown tonight! they kicked it high and not to his advantage a hell of allot. Made it way too easy for his opponent to spoil.

He IMO is also a much much better CHF then a FF. I think it was great signs from him though and he will be much better in the next few weeks. Needs to bury those chances though or he really isnt any better then Lynch.

Why drop Dalziell. Swift should go. He goes to the ground to easy gets caught way to often. Let him have a month with Claremont. Yes give Smith or Stevens a run

People who are bagging out Swift will have egg on their faces in another two years. He is 19, played very little footy as a 17 and 18 year old due to injury and IMO is showing improvement with every game he plays at the top level.

Swift IMO has been told to take the game on and use his evasive skills, what he lacks is experience, when he learns to know when to run versus when to give off quickly by hand or foot he will be a very, very good midfielder. He won't learn how to do that at AFL level playing WAFL.

Losing Selwood and also Butler hurt us tonight but we had a fair dinkum crack and I didn't see anyone have a poor game.

Even Embley played good.;)

So did Wilkes ........ again.:eek:

Stevenson butchered a couple of kicks out of bounds but hey, he hasn't played 5 games yet.

Waters turned it over a bit but he got allot of it as well, great attack on the ball and even greater mark.

Kennedy, LeCras and McKinely looked good, still need fast, defensive crumbers though.

And Sheppard played his best game yet.:thumbsu:

Makes up for the end of the second quarter when West Coast put it on the full but played on for a goal.

Always swings and roundabouts with the umpires.

Yeh that was hilarious.

Umpiring this weekend has been shocking. The Crows V Dockers game was really bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast 3.7 7.9 12.10 14.14 (98)
Geelong 4.2 8.3 15.8 18.14 (122)

GOALS
West Coast: Kennedy 3, McKinley 3, LeCras 2, Naitanui 2, Embley, Cox, Ebert, Dalziell
Geelong: Byrnes 4, Johnson 3, Ablett 2, Wojcinski 2 Podsiadly, T Hunt, Varcoe, Selwood, Enright, Stokes, Mackie

BEST
West Coast: Waters, Hurn, Priddis, Kennedy, Swift, Sheppard
Geelong: Chapman, Bartel, Byrnes, Enright, Selwood, Wojcinski, Stokes

Didnt they make it hard for Brown tonight! they kicked it high and not to his advantage a hell of allot. Made it way too easy for his opponent to spoil.

He IMO is also a much much better CHF then a FF. I think it was great signs from him though and he will be much better in the next few weeks. Needs to bury those chances though or he really isnt any better then Lynch.

yep, agree 100%. great signs from him tonight though, he looked really hungry.

i dont think he's every going to be a big goal kicker(mind you, i used to think the same of kennedy), but we really need someone else besides kennedy to provide a target up the field.

oh by the way, brad sheppard is the real deal. several times today he showed his acceleration and true pace. made a few bad decisions, but overall he's classy. the more games into him, the better. Gun.

Emac done a great job on pods as well, he gets a bit of a bad wrap on here but he's very competent in 1v1 contests.

McKinley was great. Showed his value at FF and leading up around the ground - as did all our forwards. They weren't just pigeoned holed in strict positions.

Shame that once Selwood started playing his best game for the season, he gets injured.. Just like Masten..

****ing snipers.

TBH didnt think there was that much in it. It looked a lot worse because he did his shoulder or collarbone - something that could've happened in any legal contest. He did get him high but not hard enough to concuss him.

He will probably get a week or 2 but if I had it my way he would have no case to answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Vs Geelong, Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back