Not open for further replies.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
The Season so Far

Frustrating and inconsistent. LWLWLL. Sitting 12th on the ladder. The game against Melbourne was another odd one - we were in that for a long while but it felt like we were slowly getting strangled out of the game and that the barn doors were about to explode open. As many posters have said, it's exactly what we used to do to other teams.

The odd part is, we actually haven't looked that bad this season. 3 goals up against Carlton (7th), 4 goals up against St. Kilda (5th), ahead at half time vs Melbourne (1st), hit the front in the 3rd against Adelaide before being royally shafted. It's not like we've been uncompetitive in any game, we just can't quite seem to string four quarters together. And when we do get the momentum, we rarely score enough to fully capitalize on it.

But good news! This week we've got the Naitanui-less Eagles who's season so far has been a sputtering mess. They just lost to the previously winless Port by 84 points.

Conspiracies

I would like to delve deeply into stats from both teams, and come up with evidence of why we should win this one.

Instead...

1650900530466.png

The elephant in the room to address and harvest its delicious ivory is the umpiring. Currently we are sitting at a -47 free kick differential, whilst the Eagles are at -19. Given our horrendous record already, coupled with the Eagles' historical umpiring dominance in Perf, this could get ugly. But no matter, we've overcome hurdles like this before. To all the Tigers fans out there, just sit back and enjoy the reaming - I mean, how much worse can it get?

1650901489667.png
The Game

1650901517980.png
^ actual Optus Stadium ground surface

We've only had 5 games on this concrete road, this shatterer of shins, annihilator of achilles, calamity of calves, for a total of 2 wins and 3 losses. Last time we played the Eagles it was a heartbreaking loss that hamstrung our already flailing finals chances. Two incidents to remark on from that one:

1. Ryan's 7m pass to Kennedy who put them in front deep in the last. Apologies for the poor quality, but if you look closely enough, you can see the cash falling out of the ump's pocket.

1650901697187.png

2. Bolton blatantly blocked off the footy in the goal square with 8 seconds to go. Whoever that spud Eagles defender was doesn't even try to contest the pill. But no matter, no matter, I'm not bitter...

1650901762816.png

The Eagles are an odd one and if I were their fans I'd be jumping port to Heave Ho Freo. But alas, the Eagles still seem to have a pretty good side. Some good backs (Barass, Hurn, Mudguts McGovern if he's fit), good mids (Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Kelly, Redden), and good forwards (Kennedy, Darling, Rioli, Ryan, the lesser Cripps). And not to mention the GOAT winger himself, Paaaaatrick Naishhhhh.

1650901962621.png (yes my photo editing skills are trash).

Prediction

We really should get the job done here if we're any chance of playing finals. Especially with no Naitanui and likely no Yeo, expect our midfield to get on top and we have the forwards to stretch them defensively. If we play anywhere near the glimpses we've shown we'll be right. I think the Eagles will lift after last week's demolition, and as we all know, we are everyone's grand final.

Tigers by 16.

we are e gurls grand final

its so hard to be positive about games when you are so many teams grand final and at the same time youre also the umpires grand final every week

theyve been thrashed 4 weeks in a row, all their players will grow an extra leg this week. we are already 20 free kicks down

If the team we just lost to are meant to be unbeatable and could go the perfect season… I’d be surprised if we lose another game this year….

Bring in Picko, Lambo and the GOAT
Give Edwards a run in the VFL playing mainly midfield, and give Dow a spell and RCD a boot in his arse for being so useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you want to know what Stupid is?

To pay 200 dollars for a yearly subscription of AFL football manufactured by the Adjustment Bureau. That is stupid.

Can we just pretend this game isn't happening? We should win but we'll lose and it will be gut-wrenching.

Let's move on to the following week - you hate to see it but Grundy being out for 10-12 weeks helps us...

Team vs. Collingwood

Gibcus, Balta, Broad
Vlastuin, Grimes, Short
Pickett, Cotchin, Lambert
Stack, Riewoldt, Bolton
Baker, Lynch, MRJ
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Soldo, Graham, Sonsie, Rioli

emg/ Dow, Castagna, Tarrant, Edwards

As down as a lot of people are, you don't pack the season in after round 6 sitting at 2-4. The next 3 weeks are key to us staying in contention to play finals, no matter how unlikely it seems that we will make the 8, the club will be going down that path until it is too far gone and that could come in the next 3 weeks. Or we could be sitting 5-4 with dreamtime on the horizon.

Must win this game for multiple reasons, but mainly because losing to this West Coast who don't look awful on paper but who's form is putrid will just about break this board.

Short turnaround, travelling to Perth, I think this will be a tricky one but I'd love nothing more than a blowout win which would be important for confidence moving forward. Not sure what changes we see, Lambert and Stack potentially for Dow(injured) and not sure who else. RCD should hold his spot and with Dow's injury should be afforded more midfield minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back