AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall good for us I think, although there is a sting in the tail.

It will make it harder to get top WA talent, so we may need to get used to players like Zippy heading East.

However, it has a couple of flow on affects. Trading will become more serious, as it will eliminate the trading of picks that are far more valuable to some clubs than others. And it means the mid range picks will become more consistent. WA talent tended to fall away a bit after the top few, with some of the interstate talent unavailable, it restricted what you could do.

We now get to draft from the whole national pool.

No more Cleaver type situations though unfortunately.

No more Cleaver type situations though unfortunately.
I reckon if Cleaver was forced into a national draft with her commitment to a specific netball on the table, interstate clubs still wouldn't touch her.

Also, there just isn't enough money to prevent other girls from pulling the pin if their primary career isn't fully supported by a club either, and they'll be making sure they let interstate clubs know where their overall priorities sit.

No doubt it'll be more even in a lot of ways, but there'll still be way more cases like this than the AFLm national draft (which as we know, most certainly doesn't force some local boys from leaving their parents behind).

I reckon if Cleaver was forced into a national draft with her commitment to a specific netball on the table, interstate clubs still wouldn't touch her.

Also, there just isn't enough money to prevent other girls from pulling the pin if their primary career isn't fully supported by a club either, and they'll be making sure they let interstate clubs know where their overall priorities sit.

No doubt it'll be more even in a lot of ways, but there'll still be way more cases like this than the AFLm national draft (which as we know, most certainly doesn't force some local boys from leaving their parents behind).
Except Cleaver is a train on partner at the Fever, she isnt a player. I think Vic clubs just line up a Vic netball club, draft her. Tell her your playing footy in Vic, and training on with a Vic netball club, or your training on at the Fever, and not playing footy. No way a national junior rep she doesn't get a train on gig somewhere.

I think I know what she goes for.

Being able to stay in WA, play for the Eagles, and train with the Fever no doubt suited her right down to the ground, and as she can nominate WA with the certainty Eagles take her, thats a no brainer.

Don't think she does it if its a national draft though.

What we are going to start getting, is female players that have had their eyes on an AFLW career from a long way out, and are committed to that, rather than nurses and retailers who just fit some footy in around their lives

Anyone know what the deadline is for signing players to replace Hooker and Kavanagh for this season?
Can be done anytime before the 1st game, or so it has been the case in previous years.

"West Coast coach Daisy Pearce has backed young gun Ella Roberts to continue her ascent into AFLW superstardom, saying there was no ceiling on what the teenager could achieve.

Roberts has made a huge impression since being drafted by the struggling Eagles in 2022, with her second season aged just 18 seeing her finish as the runner up in the club’s best-and-fairest award and becoming the first West Coast player to be named in the competition’s 22under22 team.

Speaking after an open training session in Dunsborough as part of the club’s community camp, Pearce said the Margaret River product’s lofty level of ability was matched by her tenacious desire to improve. “The sky’s the limit for El,” she said. “With someone that talented and who takes so much in her stride, you can forget how young they are. “She’s such a competitor. As we get to the more match-style drills, we see her strengths really come to the fore.”

Drafted as a tall forward, Roberts was unleashed more around the ball last year and made a massive impact, including in a best-afield performance in round one’s western derby where she gathered 24 disposals. Pearce said she would continue to use the young star in a hybrid role. “It’ll be similar to last year, probably a little bit more midfield time,” she said. “We’ll give her the opportunity to continue developing in the midfield, but with the interchange cap coming in last year and the nature of the game, the weapon that she has in being able to go forward will help her and help us as well. “With Ella, you’d be happy with her anywhere on the ground, she’s a person that can have an impact.”

Having been back in official pre-season training for four weeks, Pearce said she had been heartened by the club’s training standards lifting with every session. “We’ve seen huge improvements in that area, it’s building every week,” she said. “We were really lucky that since mid-January, we were putting on optional sessions, and we had a big bulk of our squad really coming in and having that appetite to want to train and want to work. “They’re realistic about where they’re at and what our history’s been to this point, but all it takes now is hard work and wanting to really buy in and do it together, that will see us get more and more competitive on-field. “As the coach, I couldn’t have asked for much more in that space, in terms of their attitude and their hunger.”

The AFL announced last week the women’s competition’s draft would become fully national from this season, with Pearce saying replacing the old state-based model was a “big step”. “It’s another sign of how quick the AFLW’s grown,” she said. “That’s an exciting one for us as a club, that on top of the developing talent here in WA, there’s now a truly national network that we can look into as well. “(It) will only help to grow the competition.” A strong crowd gathered to watch the Eagles go through drills at Dunsborough Playing Fields, with chief executive Don Pyke among the club’s contingent on the ground

God, i hope the girls have a good season.
Lord knows I need something to take some pride in with this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a pretty positive feeling about it honestly
I think we will definitely close the gap.

Wether that translates to more wins, or to just being more competitive in more games, I'm not sure.

But I think the trend will be good.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top 3 leaders probably as expected.

Interesting (and I don't mind it) that Sergeant and Hosking have already been voted into the leadership group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back