AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming we finish around abouts where we are on the Ladder currently, puts us in the ballpark of picking up Molly O'Hehir, she is super clean, tall, quick and fierce in terms of 1%ers. We also BADLY need a KPF and ruck if Lakay doesn't come in Marathon runner fit next season. Who is on everyones wishlist in terms of the draft (be realistic) 🤭

Assuming we finish around abouts where we are on the Ladder currently, puts us in the ballpark of picking up Molly O'Hehir, she is super clean, tall, quick and fierce in terms of 1%ers. We also BADLY need a KPF and ruck if Lakay doesn't come in Marathon runner fit next season. Who is on everyones wishlist in terms of the draft (be realistic) 🤭
I think the earliest we could pick, if we lose both remaining games, is 6th. I doubt Molly will still be available then, but it's not impossible. If we went with a KPF with Pick One, it could be Emma McDonald, who's tall and fast like Franklin, but much stronger in the contest. Rookie Central have her going about 8th, I think.

I think the earliest we could pick, if we lose both remaining games, is 6th. I doubt Molly will still be available then, but it's not impossible. If we went with a KPF with Pick One, it could be Emma McDonald, who's tall and fast like Franklin, but much stronger in the contest. Rookie Central have her going about 8th, I think.

Still think, if a standout like O'Hehir doesn't slide to us, we'd be equally or better suited to picking a possession pig mid. We need another elite ball winner just as much, if it's McDonald vs a mid rated slightly higher (eg if we rate Painter or Howley higher) would take the mid (best available between those two roles I guess).

Think we need a bit more of a definitive plan with what we're doing with Lakay and Lakfer. They've sort of been thrown around, partnered up with each other and multiple other options, played random game times etc. If it's decided Lakay would do 70% ruck and Lakfer 70% forward or the other way round etc would love to train that and stick with that. Have seen with Zakfer the benefits of a more settled role week-to-week.

Obviously relies a lot on Lakay coming back way fitter but yeah, think we miss a bit of that presence with those two being lost in the forward line currently and Franky being effectively solo down there.

Still think, if a standout like O'Hehir doesn't slide to us, we'd be equally or better suited to picking a possession pig mid. We need another elite ball winner just as much, if it's McDonald vs a mid rated slightly higher (eg if we rate Painter or Howley higher) would take the mid (best available between those two roles I guess).

Think we need a bit more of a definitive plan with what we're doing with Lakay and Lakfer. They've sort of been thrown around, partnered up with each other and multiple other options, played random game times etc. If it's decided Lakay would do 70% ruck and Lakfer 70% forward or the other way round etc would love to train that and stick with that. Have seen with Zakfer the benefits of a more settled role week-to-week.

Obviously relies a lot on Lakay coming back way fitter but yeah, think we miss a bit of that presence with those two being lost in the forward line currently and Franky being effectively solo down there.
I'd take a midfielder with Pick One, because I think the crop of mids this year is better than KPFs, and because we're still not strong enough in the middle and the middle is where most AFLW games are won and lost given there's so many stoppages.

Drennan is great but might not be playing much longer, Roberts is great but we'd like her to play forward more, Swanny's good but can't kick straight. The only current mid option we're sure we'd like to stay as a pure midfielder long-term is Lewis, as none of the others are good enough.

So we need to develop this new crop of midfield kids, Rentsch will presumably be there soon, but she's still raw, ditto Kavanagh and Rowley. It would be great to have one more young ace midfielder, like Painter or Howley, to toughen up that young midfield group as they develop, and set the standard high. We've had too many mediocre midfielders now and in the past, and it's dragged the standard down.

Agreed - We simply need a blue chip mid that can hit her targets.

I’d be looking at Painter or Howley

McKee is another but maybe a better forward - her skills are brilliant

I'd take a midfielder with Pick One, because I think the crop of mids this year is better than KPFs, and because we're still not strong enough in the middle and the middle is where most AFLW games are won and lost given there's so many stoppages.

Agreed - We simply need a blue chip mid that can hit her targets.

Both of you are spot on with the assessment of badly needing a quality midfielder.

In games where we are competitive and or leading, more often than not, the opposition midfields find a way to claw their way back into the game and overtake us.

If we can actually get the ball into our forward line enough, we manage to find a ways to manufacture a winning score.

Our down fall has been, winning the stoppages and getting enough ACCURATE feed, to our forwards.

It was a really disappointed when Kavanagh went down, with a popped knee, as her midfield craft was something that I was really looking forward to seeing.
Her pre-draft midfield work was so encouraging.

As AlphaSheep so correctly points out, AFLW games are won and lost at the stoppages.

We are out of finals affectively after the Geelong game, which doesn't upset me as I considered us out for a couple of weeks already.

But it's time to start breaking down what list changes are needed.

Bearing in mind, I don't think any changes outside our first three picks make any difference, in that the players we bring in are unlikely to be a significant improvement on who hey replace. Maybe replace a player with one that better fits a need.

So, who is essential to keep.
Who isn't essential, but is the sort of contributor good teams need.
Who is worth keeping on potential.
Who is borderline, who is just a bit better than an automatic delist, but not good enough to be safe.
Who has to go.

For me, starting from the bottom.

Gooch, it's past her by, way to slow now. Lions game, it was obvious that they were trying to hide her as Lions were exploiting her lack of pace.

Simmons, another taken because she looked good athletically and could impose herself at lower levels, but she lacks footy skills and nouse, and is too old to let her develop.

King maybe, except I have no idea who she is or how she would go. Looking at WAFLW, she looks like she would be an 6 - 10 possessions a game mid. We have plenty, don't need more.

Petrevsky, hasn't played in 2 seasons. 4.5 possessions a game when she did play.

For me, delist those 4, bring in 4 players that should be better, then we rely on trades for movement.

Because while there are other players I would like see changed for someone better, I don't think that happens with anything below pick 3 or 4.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The list of players we keep because the draft isn't deep enough to upgrade them, bearing in mind, some will probably be delisted, but it's a lottery who.

Goranova. Second string mid, but has improved on most stats this year
Roux. Always heaps of potential, rarely any output.
Bushby. Another second string, but also improving. 10 possessions a game sees he safe.
Western. As one of our few forwards that can actually get the ball, safe.
Webb. Not in the delist group only because it's a small list. Don't think she stays.
Harken. Depth
Di Donato, worth persevering with.

The unsighted. Players that we didn't get a look at.
McDonald. Given Schillings performance and the possible emergence of Johnson next year, may struggle to get her spot back.
Sergeant. A depth player.
Johnson. An exciting prospect if she can get on the park.
Ellington. 4 disposals a game 2023.
Kavanaugh. Someone with promise.

We are out of finals affectively after the Geelong game, which doesn't upset me as I considered us out for a couple of weeks already.

But it's time to start breaking down what list changes are needed.

Bearing in mind, I don't think any changes outside our first three picks make any difference, in that the players we bring in are unlikely to be a significant improvement on who hey replace. Maybe replace a player with one that better fits a need.

So, who is essential to keep.
Who isn't essential, but is the sort of contributor good teams need.
Who is worth keeping on potential.
Who is borderline, who is just a bit better than an automatic delist, but not good enough to be safe.
Who has to go.

For me, starting from the bottom.

Gooch, it's past her by, way to slow now. Lions game, it was obvious that they were trying to hide her as Lions were exploiting her lack of pace.

Simmons, another taken because she looked good athletically and could impose herself at lower levels, but she lacks footy skills and nouse, and is too old to let her develop.

King maybe, except I have no idea who she is or how she would go. Looking at WAFLW, she looks like she would be an 6 - 10 possessions a game mid. We have plenty, don't need more.

Petrevsky, hasn't played in 2 seasons. 4.5 possessions a game when she did play.

For me, delist those 4, bring in 4 players that should be better, then we rely on trades for movement.

Because while there are other players I would like see changed for someone better, I don't think that happens with anything below pick 3 or 4.

Agree with all this. NGL had no idea we had King on the list, googled her, nothing online really either, half certain she doesn't exist and has been made up for some sort of tax hoax.

No articles, no photo on our list page, seemingly no draft history, was she a top-up?

Also speaking of top-ups, if they don't increase list sizes this year (they really need to) we'll need to cut a little deeper than the 4 you mentioned to take 3-4 draft picks since we have injury replacements on the list.

Of those despite liking Harken, if Sergeant gets back to fitness I don't think there's a spot for her sadly. Good state level player but just don't think has the weapons for AFLW level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentials.
Franklin. I was thinking she was delist, but I keep forgetting how young she is, and she sits in front of a not very efficient midfield. Roberts still gets the ball forward, but she is a very different type.
Wakfers, both. Size, speed, young.
Bakker, hasn't set the world on fire, but, young, has upside.
Cleaver. Has underwhelmed, but is the sort you keep on potential. Maybe needs to pick a sport, or risk being a 2 sport failure.
Lyons. Inexperienced, not a lot of ruck depth, gets at least 1 more year.

Agree with all this. NGL had no idea we had King on the list, googled her, nothing online really either, half certain she doesn't exist and has been made up for some sort of tax hoax.

No articles, no photo on our list page, seemingly no draft history, was she a top-up?

Also speaking of top-ups, if they don't increase list sizes this year (they really need to) we'll need to cut a little deeper than the 4 you mentioned to take 3-4 draft picks since we have injury replacements on the list.

Of those despite liking Harken, if Sergeant gets back to fitness I don't think there's a spot for her sadly. Good state level player but just don't think has the weapons for AFLW level.
I know it will be more than 4 delisted. But it's those 4, plus some from the next list.

And King was a suprise to me too, was it even announced?

Last edited:
The solid players we need to keep list.
Gibson. Not huge numbers, but can make an impact forward, and we don't have many that do.
Rowley. Hopefully makes it to the star list.
Rentsch, could be very good for us.
Hosking. Grunt player we need.
Swanson. Wish her kicking would get more consistent, but always contributes.
Hooker, if she goes on.
Britton, has become solid. The best of our second string mids.
Lakay. Solid ruck
Schilling, suprise packet of the year.

Players we can build the team around. A pretty self evident, and unfortunately short, list.

Thomas, one of the classiest defenders in the league and still young.
Roberts, one of the most naturally able footballers in the league imop.
Drennan. Just consistent and effective. Goes unnoticed a bit.
Lewis, our only other solid mid apart from Roberts and Drennan.
Smith, our best link up player, and avenue from defense.

If we lose next week, and Carlton and Bulldogs finish above us (not impossible) we could pick as early as 5th in the draft.

5th would give us one of either Rasheed, O'Hehir or Fish, given those three, plus Harris and Centra will almost certainly make up the top five. Sarah Black confirmed Harris is going to Gold Coast, which means whoever finishes bottom (probably Collingwood) will obviously take Centra.

And it's possible Carlton will go with Sophie McKay even if they pick before us, given she's a) only a smidge outside the top five, if she is at all, and b) a father-daughter pick, and c) her sister Abbie will be expecting it, so team morale is a consideration if they don't take her.

If we win next week, and pick 7th or 8th, we'll still probably get either Howley or Painter, which would be also great, but Rasheed, O'Hehir and Fish are a level above, I think.

I think the loss to Geelong shows why Zippy is our best option, we had plenty of the ball, but just couldn't use it well enough. Rasheed and O'Hehir are great ball users, but Zippy is elite, maybe as good as Centra, and the coaches in Victoria say Centra is the best junior kick in the state, male or female.

And I suspect it could be Zippy at 5th, because GWS so badly needs someone who can play forward as well as midfield (Rasheed) and Sydney could use the help in defense (O'Hehir). They're both more versatile than Zippy, and could probably have more impact in struggling teams in their first few years. But Zippy, I'm pretty sure, will be the best in the long run.

I always feel awkward wanting the team to lose, but at this point in the season, there's nothing else to gain but draft picks. Collingwood sure won't be trying real hard to win their last match, with Centra on the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back