Western Border Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that ebout Phil Currie. Very hard to replace big players and Gunn and Hatherell arn't tall players.
Shepard will be a good pick up for Heywood, can play.

Word is Peter Shepherd will have a run in this weekend's Elastoplast Cup for Heywood.
There are mixed messages on this though, as a couple of Heywood boys I know were unaware of the supposed Shep's Second Coming.
He would be very handy though, as the boys certainly knows how to find the ball and the goals.

Western Border site is saying Shep is playing

Imps won Elastoplast Cup by about 8 goals. Hard to say from today whos good and whos not. Portland played only around 6 senior players.

Imps won Elastoplast Cup by about 8 goals. Hard to say from today whos good and whos not. Portland played only around 6 senior players.

Yes, Portland kept its cards very close to its chest again in the preseason cup. Not as close as hamilton though, who did not even bring a full team.
Imps looked like the Heywood of last year's cup.
They had plenty of run and were very well drilled, but I would not expect them to convert what was a genuinely good performance yesterday into being a serious flag threat this season.
Generally a fairly good event, with Portland once again providing the full spectrum of weather conditions. Portland were a bit territorial though, as hosts.

Yes, Portland kept its cards very close to its chest again in the preseason cup. Not as close as hamilton though, who did not even bring a full team.
Imps looked like the Heywood of last year's cup.
They had plenty of run and were very well drilled, but I would not expect them to convert what was a genuinely good performance yesterday into being a serious flag threat this season.
Generally a fairly good event, with Portland once again providing the full spectrum of weather conditions. Portland were a bit territorial though, as hosts.
Of some of the others !? East, North, South, Millicent & Hamilton.How did they look,most cases i see that scores were fairly close.
Did Peter Shepherd line-up with Heywood.

Of some of the others !? East, North, South, Millicent & Hamilton.How did they look,most cases i see that scores were fairly close.
Did Peter Shepherd line-up with Heywood.

East played really well, although seemed to have a couple of their bigger names missing.

North looked like they did not take it too seriously, South were good without getting into top gear, Millicent had a crack but was not quite up to it, while Hamilton had to borrow players from its oponents just to get a game. That was not a very good look, to be honest. At least take some reserves or under 18s.
Peter Shep did line up for Heywood and played quite well, but was carrying a little more weight than the Lions' coaches would have like to have seen.

i can report we had 10 a grade players missing that will probably play in the first game (north gambier)
i am guessing that east had 6-7 missing and south 4-5.
was surprised with heywood---looked ok...obviously portland had all the guns missing. from what i saw and played against millicent, hamilton and west definate bottom 3!!!

i can report we had 10 a grade players missing that will probably play in the first game (north gambier)
i am guessing that east had 6-7 missing and south 4-5.
was surprised with heywood---looked ok...obviously portland had all the guns missing. from what i saw and played against millicent, hamilton and west definate bottom 3!!!

Do you think south will be up there or will they drop off a bit this season? I thought Heywood looked ok as well. However the fact they only just beat Portland is not such a good sign considering the side Portland had in. The only gun Portland played was Lancaster.

Has it been confirmed that Damian Squire is playing for the team that Mark Jeffires coaches? Portland i think??

The talk is he will play 10 weeks and finals. He has not yet appeared on any transfer list. May not be the only Sturt player heading to Portland. No names.

well how good can a side be losing copping, howard, rowe, wilson and capewell. i know mcgregor played but i'm yet to be real keen on him. maybe he make's up for joshy wilson!!!!
heywood looked ok --- pretty much at full strength though so hard to guess. few dirty players it seems if there discipline they will go much better i think.
hard to say from the weekend after the teams that were put out to play with north east portland south all looking short on there normal talent.
any word on what was the go with hamilton? Watts was carrying alot of weight and not looking great and does not seem the player he use to be from their grand final win a few years back...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well how good can a side be losing copping, howard, rowe, wilson and capewell. i know mcgregor played but i'm yet to be real keen on him. maybe he make's up for joshy wilson!!!!
heywood looked ok --- pretty much at full strength though so hard to guess. few dirty players it seems if there discipline they will go much better i think.
hard to say from the weekend after the teams that were put out to play with north east portland south all looking short on there normal talent.
any word on what was the go with hamilton? Watts was carrying alot of weight and not looking great and does not seem the player he use to be from their grand final win a few years back...

Watts took a hit in one of the games. Early on i think in the game. He got up and just slowly made his way down to the foward line(i think). Was not a good look. If he was hurt what was the point staying on. Don't know if cricket finals had anything to do with the poor turn out. Dont quote me but i think someone with a connection to Brian McGinley may have died.

Is Micheal Jones finally going to play for South Gambier? iirc yrs ago(95? 96?) Millicent wouldnt clear him and the only games he played that yr were a couple of Ressies games for South Adelaide.

James Park (Hey) & Gareth Crawford's (Ham) clearances 'in motion' to Kerang in the Cmfl.Both would be sorely missed you would think !? Should be like silly season between now and a fortnight with in's & out's with teams rushing to get signings before round 1

James Park (Hey) & Gareth Crawford's (Ham) clearances 'in motion' to Kerang in the Cmfl.Both would be sorely missed you would think !? Should be like silly season between now and a fortnight with in's & out's with teams rushing to get signings before round 1

I think you'll find Gareth Crawford played with Lake Wendouree last season in the Ballarat football league not Hamilton.

Watts took a hit in one of the games. Early on i think in the game. He got up and just slowly made his way down to the foward line(i think). Was not a good look. If he was hurt what was the point staying on. Don't know if cricket finals had anything to do with the poor turn out. Dont quote me but i think someone with a connection to Brian McGinley may have died.

Hamilton were missing a couple of players (Huf & Logan) who were playing in a Premiership for St.Andrew's in the Local Cricket Comp and Brian McGinley did unfortunatly lose his brother in law in the Burnley tunnell crash.

gareth crawford to play for kerang this year in central murray league....under coach brent forsyth

It's official, big Leigh Capewell is leaving the Western Border and going to Branxholme-Wallacedale. A great player and a big angry man, I'd love to say he will be sorely missed, but as a former defender it would be a bit insincere. Best of luck to the big fella in bush footy though.
HUGE loss to South.

It's official, big Leigh Capewell is leaving the Western Border and going to Branxholme-Wallacedale. A great player and a big angry man, I'd love to say he will be sorely missed, but as a former defender it would be a bit insincere. Best of luck to the big fella in bush footy though.
HUGE loss to South.

There will be a lot of defenders sleeping better at night with Capewells departure and a lot of defenders in the South West league hoping they play no where near him. One scary customer. Will kick a lot of goals in the South West. Has been a great player for South Gambier.

Kerang were also the club talking to James Imbi.
However it fell through.

I thought I'd already posted here but oh well nevermind : Currently recruiting posters to have their Bigfooty alter ego's play in the new Regional Leagues Fantasy Footy League. You don't have to do anything at all, except you can barrack, boast, sledge and make excuses for yourself and your team if you like. Details are in the link in my signature. Its NOT the 'dream team' type fantasy footy, its a randomised simulator which plays matches on its own, randomly, using team lists full of player names we submit, which will be Bigfooty user names.

Hoping to get some interleague rivalry going, anf to hook up with the Sweet FA (which has already been going for 7 years) for a promotion-relegation system.

Cheers, carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back