Western Border Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to wind up the recruiting period for the Regional Leagues Fantasy Footy League ... applications are drying up ... but would still love to get at least to four teams!

(69 players, 11 more to enable a fourth team!)

METRO VIC (25 players)
Diamond Valley FL (10)
1. Kickass (Div 1 / Eltham)
2. mattyr (Div 1 Bundoora)
3. Iceman27 (Div 2 / Wallan)
4. Force (Div 2 / Watsonia)
5. Bubble Wrap (Div 2 / Watsonia)
6. Giveyathemail (Div ? / Lalor)
7. Jewelsandbullet (Div ? / Montmorency)
8. Dv_Worm (Div ? / Coburg Amateurs)
9. rompermfc (Div 2 / Macleod)
10. ifyoucandodgeawrench

VFL & VAFA (Vic) (7)
1. can't mark can't kick (VAFA / D1)
2. harper (VAFA / D2 / South Melbourne Districts)
3. youngblood (VAFA / D2 / Aquinas)
4. The Tigers Nuts (VAFA / D3 / Old Westbourne)
5. the lemon wedge (Port Melbourne / VFL)
6. Joe Dirt (VAFA / A Grade)
7. FitzroyRamone (VAFA / C Grade / Fitzroy Reds)

Essendon DFL (5)
1. Subway (Essendon DFL)
2. colgate (Essendon DFL / Strathmore)
3. coreybrown (Essendon DFL)
4. litening (Essendon DFL / Airport West)
5. oldfashiondefender (Essendon DFL)

Western Region FL (3)
1. Gemini17 (WRFL Div 2)
2. Blueboy16 (WRFL Div 2)
3. thesilkmeister (Western Region FL)
x. the lemon wedge (WRFL Div 1 / Port Colts) - VFL / Port Melbourne (Bigfooty RL FFL)

WEST MELB & WEST VIC (20 players)
Riddell DFL (4)
1. billylid (Riddell DFL)
2. Itsmyshow (Riddell DFL)
3. Trublueroo (Riddell DFL)
4. Bluecrew #2 (Riddell DFL)

Western, Mallee, Wimmera (9)
1. Bakers_Patrons (North Central FL / Wycheproof-Narraport)
2. Centre Sqaure (North Central FL / Wycheproof-Narraport)
3. clifton's lookalike (Central Murray FL / Tyntynder)
4. Whispers (Geelong FL)
5. The Prawn (Millewa FL)
6. MasterOfROC (North Central FL / St Arnaud)
7. ALWHTE (Mininera & DFL)
8. theopacman (Western Border FL / Hamilton Imperials)
9. sheep dogger (Geelong FL)

Bendigo FL / Loddon Valley FL (7)
1. gerta (Loddon Valley FL)
2. A_JET8 (Bendigo FL)
3. Norfolk & Clew (Bendigo FL / Golden Square)
4. max powers. (Bendigo FL)
5. The fatman (Bendigo FL / Kyneton)
6. davis 24 (Bendigo FL / Kyneton)
7. Courageunderfire (Bendigo FL / Kyneton)
x. caveman (Bendigo FL / Kangaroo Flat) - Roys FC (Sweet FA)
x. maroon and blue (Bendigo FL / Eaglehawk) - Roys FC (Sweet FA)

EASTERN MELB, EASTERN VIC & OUTSIDE VIC (24 players)
Northern, North-Eastern, Eastern & Gippsland regions (15)
1. FOOTYBOSS (Goulburn Valley FL)
2. Johnny Tapp (Goulburn Valley FL)
3. Zippa (Goulburn Valley FL)
4. Joeyboy (Kyabram DFL)
5. VT#23 (Kyabram DFL / Violet Town)
6. sparra (Kyabram DFL)
7. The Iceman #49 (Kyabram DFL / Violet Town)
8. iwantanotherflag (Picola & DFL / Katandra)
9. Slush Puppy (Kyabram DFL)
10. Darc21 (Ovens & Murray FL / Wangaratta Rovers)
11. goodies (Ellinbank DFL)
12. Marto121 (Picola & DFL)
13. slugga (YVMDFL)
14. MadMan V1.2 (Southern FL / Div 3 / Skye)
15. More Than A Game (Tallangatta DFL)
x. Pie4Life (MPNFL) - Dragons (Sweet FA)
x. OldMav (MPNFL) - Bigfooty Bombers (Sweet FA)
x. Frankston Rover (MPNFL) - Frankston Sharks (Sweet FA)
x. diablo14 - (MPNFL) Frankston Sharks (Sweet FA)

Outside Victoria (9)
1. Bella Buffalo (South Africa)
2. cckid (Ontario AFL / Canada)
3. roorat (Northern Tasmanian FA / Deloraine)
4. bakerman (Tasmania / Southern FL / Premier / Kingborough)
5. head67 (Riverina FL)
6. morphous (Queensland)
7. SJM41 (Queensland / ? FL / Redland)
8. Injury prone (WAFL / Perth)
9. billybrownless16 (Tasmania / Southern FL / Premier / Lauderdale)
x.Ljp86 (WAFL / Subiaco) - Dragons FC (Sweet FA)

Note : Players numbered x. are players who are only available under permit. They do not count amongst the 20 players required for a team, as if they are unavailable just one week, then that team will be unable to field a full contingent. The team's for which these players are primarily registered, are listed alongside the players' names.[/QUOTE]

good to see hamilton get over imps on the wekend all the mail was that imps were going to be all over them, hamilton with there backs against the wall with players like mcginley crawford ferguson rhook out mighty effort lots of the young brigade standing up

Bad news for other clubs is that Portland may be getting back two to three players who will more than likely be walk up starters in the senior side. Have not seen North play but wonder at this early stage who will get near Portland.

Bad news for other clubs is that Portland may be getting back two to three players who will more than likely be walk up starters in the senior side. Have not seen North play but wonder at this early stage who will get near Portland.
May get a chance to see them this week, but i still think East will be a danger to them, from what i heard they were'nt far away from them two weeks ago.Casterton also will challenge as they have some height about them and grunt and talented youth also...did anyone see there game against East on saturday !? they obviously played good footy to beat the sa dogs like they did !!

May get a chance to see them this week, but i still think East will be a danger to them, from what i heard they were'nt far away from them two weeks ago.Casterton also will challenge as they have some height about them and grunt and talented youth also...did anyone see there game against East on saturday !? they obviously played good footy to beat the sa dogs like they did !!

Casterton are also at the moment without their gun foward Dylan Kent. They also have a recruit from Sth Warrnambool named Jamie Templeton. Does anyone know anything about him?

It did bucket down rain last saturday. So maybe difficult to read into the results too much. Portland are going to be the team to beat out front. i think with East and North the main challengers. no doubt Casterton have improved due to the extra season in some of their youth. Hamilton and Imperials have improved but they were a long way behind last season so they need too just to be competitive. South will still push for finals but have lost too many to trouble the top 3.

Whats the standard like in the Western Border League? I have family in Heywood and Portland and have always thought it may be worth a go playing a couple of years. Would it stack up against city football>?

Whats the standard like in the Western Border League? I have family in Heywood and Portland and have always thought it may be worth a go playing a couple of years. Would it stack up against city football>?

I think it would depend what level of city football you are comparing it too.
It is a good, solid standard of football, but the range of competition across the senior grade can vary wildly between the best teams and the worst some years.
Your team's like Portland, South, North and East would compete fairly well in a number of suburban leagues, but sides like West and Millicent would struggle most years.
Casterton this year also seem pretty strong.
It is a different style of football, however, to what you might find being played at, say, Rowville or around Northcote.
Having played in the metro leagues certainly does not ensure you willl dominate out here though.

10 years ago it was rated as the 2nd best country league after the Ballarat league

That may have changed

Having played both city and country leagues I'd say the Western Border sits somewhere between B and C grade Ammatuers and above the old Footscray District League.
It is no where near the second best league in Country Victoria.
Ballarat and Geelong are probably ahead of the others. Hampden is probably the best League in the Western District. Western Border teams such as Portland North and East could challenge the Hampden teams but the bottom teams in the Western Border would struggle.
The quality of the best 6 players I find in any div 1 Country League side are usually of similar talent its the next 10-12 that make the difference in standard.

Used to play for Portland many years ago. Have always held a soft spot for the tiges. Can anyone give me a rundown on their progress so far this year? Any of the older fellas still getting around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to play for Portland many years ago. Have always held a soft spot for the tiges. Can anyone give me a rundown on their progress so far this year? Any of the older fellas still getting around?

Portland are undeafted and going strong. Premiership favourites at this early stage. As far as the old fellas, Mick Jennings retired around three years ago. Ray Chesters son Tim now plays for the tiges. Chambo, Ray chester, Shane Malcolm, Spider Ball still around Portland.

Thanks Sam,
So Jenno's given it away? One bloke I'd have thought would go on forever...
Surely big Goose & Spider are not still going round?
Good to hear the club is going well backing up after last year :thumbsu:
I'll have to try & make it down sometime this year for a look.
Last time I was there, just got smashed catching-up & didn't see too much footy!

The Tyntynder F.C in the Central Murray Football League (previously Mid Murray Football League) is having a reunion this weekend 18th, 19th & 20th of May at their clubrooms in Swan Hill. We will be acknowleging the premiership sides of the mid 80's but any player, supporter etc is welcome to attend this great weekend. If you would like more info you can contact keg18wilson@hotmail.com or ring the clubrooms on 03 50322974

How did the WBFL go yesterday in the interleague match against Wimmera FL?
They got beaten by 6-7 goals in the end, wimmera won it in the 2nd & last quarters kicking 5-6 gls to 1 in each of those quarters.There were no match details online just results posted thru the vcfl/wbfl & wim sites.
Just looking at the team that was picked it was a young side and last minute injuries to Flett & Camerano would'nt have helped.

it was a very windy day and WBFL probably kicked themselves out of it with 1 goal 7 in the first. They made a real charge kicking the 4 goals in the last 5 mins of the third then the foirst goal against the wind in the fourth. A couple of costly turnovers resulted in Wimmera goals and they then ran away with it.

It was a disappointing side from WBFL as they had a lot of key players uninterested due to the MtGambier cup held on the friday. many players choosing to get on the sauce rather than playing interleague the next day.
On a good note the U18s won.

it was a very windy day and WBFL probably kicked themselves out of it with 1 goal 7 in the first. They made a real charge kicking the 4 goals in the last 5 mins of the third then the foirst goal against the wind in the fourth. A couple of costly turnovers resulted in Wimmera goals and they then ran away with it.

It was a disappointing side from WBFL as they had a lot of key players uninterested due to the MtGambier cup held on the friday. many players choosing to get on the sauce rather than playing interleague the next day.
On a good note the U18s won.
Was the Wim side at full strength or they similar in the borders side, did that Johns for the wim side have an influence !!
The Mtg cup probably was a distraction, i wonder if things may have been different had it been the round robin format like the last few years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back