Game Day Western Derby XXXIX - Who's got the bigger Dong?

Remove this Banner Ad

, if you did you'd be well aware of my comments about the changes Simpson has been trying to implement, including the horror that creates when Matt gets even more "outside" ball and his clearances plummet - it actually reduces his only useful impact and increases his worst aspects...
To be fair and as mad as I have been, this is a short term way of looking at things.

Simpson is a new coach, what he is doing is laying the foundations for how he wants the team to play.

Players that don't meet the required standards will either grow, or be exposed. Simply look at the backline, functioning very well and all of Brown, Bennell and Sheppard are thriving under the new responsibility. There were doubts about all three at the beginning of the season.

I also think they are a good example of how he wants the team to look and play.

Very critical of both Wellingham and Shuey being dragged forward in successive weeks, which has exposed Priddis and Selwood badly. However, what it is showing is who is capable and who is not and I think with a long term view in mind is valuable.

I also think we are playing three rucks partly as a development tool. I expect Cox will be moving on at years end.

First time in WA though? Or did they play freo there last year?
Im certain they were over here last year at some point. Ill have to check but.

Rd20 v Freo. Got belted but Freo were flying then and those younger GWS players were probably a bit cooked.

i totally agree. but at least he goes hammer and tong to get the ball every week, year after year.
he is the worst person to have winning the footy in the modern game. he just isnt quick and creative enough to get those chances to our advantage.

but thats EVERYTHING in his power he can provide.

darling will try, dive, stretch and pressure on every possible occassion, its the least he can do.
you or I can do those things, it doesnt take any skill, it takes heart, fitness and some 'giveash**t'

shuey and gaff dont have that, so all the talent they have is just worthless

I reckon Shuey has shown plenty of heart. Still struggling to beat a hard tag but never gives up. Gaff on the other hand...

If you think about it all football is meaningless. Its a constant rotation. One day we will win another flag, one day we will win another spoon.

Season after season, win and loss, win and loss, ultimately going nowhere.
exactly..like most sports. we all invest our emotions and money and time into what? - a corporate brand, a business that functions purely to get bums on seats, sell a brand and make a profit. we're sheep, brainwashed with a corporate jingle, some coloured clothing, and a new slogan each year. in the end, regardless of which club we choose, we're all the same sheep, bleating away endlessly season after season. cycle after cycle. Ah, i love a brooding existential funk!..god i hate football sometimes. i think i saw some positives in there somewhere today, but it mightve been fly shit on the Tv screen?

Why is Josh Kennedy so ****ing r3tarded this year? Every game you can count on him to do 2 or 3 boneheaded things that cost us. He looks slow and uncoordinated. What have this coaching staff done with him?? I want 2011-13 JK back

To be fair and as mad as I have been, this is a short term way of looking at things.

Simpson is a new coach, what he is doing is laying the foundations for how he wants the team to play.

Players that don't meet the required standards will either grow, or be exposed. Simply look at the backline, functioning very well and all of Brown, Bennell and Sheppard are thriving under the new responsibility. There were doubts about all three at the beginning of the season.

Very critical of both Wellingham and Shuey being dragged forward in successive weeks, which has exposed Priddis and Selwood badly. However, what it is showing is who is capable and who is not and I think with a long term view in mind is valuable.

I also think we are playing three rucks partly as a development tool. I expect Cox will be moving on at years end.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side. I think Simpson is taking this first year to lay foundations and see what he has ... I just think tweaking Matt's role further exposes his limitations ... that's ok, as long as it leads to him either getting the hell out of the team or massively and unexpectedly improving ...

I've got no issues to date with Simpson. We actually had a positive coaching response today after we got belted early ... Not just a rev up but a change in approach ... That was unlikely in Woosh's time other than "throw Hunter forward" :p

Why is Josh Kennedy so ******* r3tarded this year? Every game you can count on him to do 2 or 3 boneheaded things that cost us. He looks slow and uncoordinated. What have this coaching staff done with him?? I want 2011-13 JK back

Coaching changes always have a positive impact on some players and a negative impact on others. Simpson was apparently strongly involved in reducing Hawthorns reliance Buddy and in creating a more unpredictable, dangerous and flexible structure ... Perhaps Kennedy is struggling with a more nuanced structure or coaching requirement and prefers a more old school approach...

Why is Josh Kennedy so ******* r3tarded this year? Every game you can count on him to do 2 or 3 boneheaded things that cost us. He looks slow and uncoordinated. What have this coaching staff done with him?? I want 2011-13 JK back
He looked good in the preseason.

My guess, our kicking into the forwardline has deprived him of opportunities and he is down on confidence.

There is no predictability with our ball movement and forward leads aren't being honored, this leaves a big marking and leading forward like Kennedy in no mans land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the way you think!

as ugly and painful as it is to watch this crapola, and it may get worse before it gets better, its still worth 'trying' to remember this team is being panelbeated and refitted into shape, into a new team.
many of the players out there were good players in 2011-13. they havent just all lost whatever skills they had-like theyve all suddenly been de-magnetised or something!? theres other issues going on -coaching, new roles, changing roles, new players, testing the depth, unsettled etc..its hard to take, but it will probably swing around. it seems the coach is tweaking the big picture, not so concerned with short term results..but on top of all that is our wayward kicking, keeps haunting us.

Masten and Kennedy were two of the most disappointing for me. Masten played well defensively but 12 possessions as a midfielder / half forward is not good enough. A pity because when he gets the ball he usually does something good with it (esp by foot). Is Kennedy carrying an injury or something? Barely seems to break into a big lead, just does half jog leads. And gives up way too easily with his forward pressure.

Masten and Kennedy were two of the most disappointing for me. Masten played well defensively but 12 possessions as a midfielder / half forward is not good enough. A pity because when he gets the ball he usually does something good with it (esp by foot). Is Kennedy carrying an injury or something? Barely seems to break into a big lead, just does half jog leads. And gives up way too easily with his forward pressure.

I don't think his knees are in the best condition. Other than that I think he's fine, just a lack of confidence and proper delivery.

[
Not sure where to put this I wanted to share.

Our last 4, 4th quaters = 38 points for, 85 against, 44.7%.

That just screams unfit.

No that screams of wasted energy in bad kicking & turnovers then having to catch up & been totally spent .
If we had kicked 6.2 instead 2.6 in 2nd quarter game would of been over.
Bad kicking saps energy & motivation. But having too many talls who cant play to that intensity doesnt help.

Again. No point in having a clearance if you cant get it to a team mate.

I don't believe that he can't get it to a team mate, my argument is that the team mate who receives the ball, bar shuey, has absolutely no hurt factor

as ugly and painful as it is to watch this crapola, and it may get worse before it gets better, its still worth 'trying' to remember this team is being panelbeated and refitted into shape, into a new team.
many of the players out there were good players in 2011-13. they havent just all lost whatever skills they had-like theyve all suddenly been de-magnetised or something!? theres other issues going on -coaching, new roles, changing roles, new players, testing the depth, unsettled etc..its hard to take, but it will probably swing around. it seems the coach is tweaking the big picture, not so concerned with short term results..but on top of all that is our wayward kicking, keeps haunting us.

Interesting argument however one could argue that the quick rebuild from 2010 to 2011 was facade and we are back to 2008-09-10 days without having any success in between.

Also our recruitment of Wellingham just seems absolutely pointless now, missed out on Grundy who on form would be a handy upgrade on nic nat

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Western Derby XXXIX - Who's got the bigger Dong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back