Western Region Football League Division One

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucks2012

Senior List
Suspended
Sep 28, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know there is a section for this but it hasn't been posted in for over a month so I don't like the chances of a reply...

Just after some honest opinions of the standard of both senior and reserve level WRFL, division one? Any comparisons to the various EFL divisions would be a handy point of reference.

Background: may be making a comeback to footy at age 28 (next year) after 4 years off with recurring knee injuries. Haven't so much as had a kick in that time. Pre-injury and with both fitness and continuation of playing on my side I'd be confident of getting a game with any senior suburban side, now, who knows, will be happy to get through a full game in the two's. If I were to play EFL I'd be content aiming for a D2-4 side, wouldn't bother with D1.

I know there is a section for this but it hasn't been posted in for over a month so I don't like the chances of a reply...

Just after some honest opinions of the standard of both senior and reserve level WRFL, division one? Any comparisons to the various EFL divisions would be a handy point of reference.

Background: may be making a comeback to footy at age 28 (next year) after 4 years off with recurring knee injuries. Haven't so much as had a kick in that time. Pre-injury and with both fitness and continuation of playing on my side I'd be confident of getting a game with any senior suburban side, now, who knows, will be happy to get through a full game in the two's. If I were to play EFL I'd be content aiming for a D2-4 side, wouldn't bother with D1.
The WRFL is nowhere near the standard of the Eastern league which is probably the best suburban league going around. But its still competitive enough to have a run around

Can you fight ?

I can compare the WRFL to the Northern Footy League which is pretty similar to the EFL.

For example, Epping (a team who plays in division 2 and have just scraped into finals the last 3 yrs) versed Port Melbourne (a team who has won something like the last 6 division 1 grand finals and havent lossed at their home ground in years) in a practice match at the start of this year...

Anyhow, Epping won by 100+ points and Port didnt kick there first goal of the game until there was 30 seconds left to play of the entire match.

So a mid-range div 2 team from the NFL destroyed one of the greater teams seen in the WRFL.

And the EFL is a standard better than the NFL so it really isnt a comparison.

Hope this helps.

I may be able to help a little here. I used to play in the WRFL as a junior but I have followed them from a distance for a while.

While the Epping V's Port Melbourne result above may give you an idea, I would like to add that Port Melbourne did not make the finals this year. Also in their first game of the season they lost by 74 points to Spotswood who were admittedly the best team all year but they ended up finishing 2nd.

I would say there are are a few 'good' teams in Divison One namely Spotswood, Albion, St Albans, Sunshine, Altona, Port Melbourne and Hoppers Crossing. The depth after these teams really drops off. The Division 2 and beyond are pretty average at best. There are a few ex-AFL players at the better teams mentioned above like Glen Manton at Albion but as mentioned earlier the standard does drop off quite rapidly. On the whole, the WRFL is certainly a weaker league than the NFL and EFL.

The reference to being able to fight is certainly appropriate but more so in the lower divisions.

If you just want a run around then this league will do the trick. By the sounds of things if your knee holds up and you are only looking at playing at a lower division, you may well dominate.

Hope this helps. :)

I can compare the WRFL to the Northern Footy League which is pretty similar to the EFL.

For example, Epping (a team who plays in division 2 and have just scraped into finals the last 3 yrs) versed Port Melbourne (a team who has won something like the last 6 division 1 grand finals and havent lossed at their home ground in years) in a practice match at the start of this year...

Anyhow, Epping won by 100+ points and Port didnt kick there first goal of the game until there was 30 seconds left to play of the entire match.

So a mid-range div 2 team from the NFL destroyed one of the greater teams seen in the WRFL.

Hope this helps.

Where do I begin? As a former WRFL and before that FDL player, I can tell you that Spotswood won 3 flags in a row before being beaten this year by Albion. No the western region is not as strong as the Eastern or Northern leagues, but it is not as bad as some ill informed clowns on here are suggesting. Ex AFL players, such as Danny Jacobs, Michael Frost, Simon Wiggins, Aaron James, Glenn Manton and many others are either playing currently or have played within the last couple of years. As far as the fighting is concerned that is a fallacy. If you want to know about thuggery, look no further than our Northern neighbours and see what they get up to.

WRFL is good, solid, friendly and well attended footy, so give it a crack, or PM me if you like for any questions you might have.

Cheers.

Where do I begin? As a former WRFL and before that FDL player, I can tell you that Spotswood won 3 flags in a row before being beaten this year by Albion. No the western region is not as strong as the Eastern or Northern leagues, but it is not as bad as some ill informed clowns on here are suggesting. Ex AFL players, such as Danny Jacobs, Michael Frost, Simon Wiggins, Aaron James, Glenn Manton and many others are either playing currently or have played within the last couple of years. As far as the fighting is concerned that is a fallacy. If you want to know about thuggery, look no further than our Northern neighbours and see what they get up to.

WRFL is good, solid, friendly and well attended footy, so give it a crack, or PM me if you like for any questions you might have.

Cheers.

Fallacy hey? What are you, a sales person for the WRFL?

Don't talk shit and try to sweet talk it.

Fallacy hey? What are you, a sales person for the WRFL?

Don't talk shit and try to sweet talk it.

What would you know? I played this season with a bottom 3 div 1 team who is apparently known for brawling. Don't think I saw anything this season that you wouldn't see in the AFL.

Paganism is spot on with what he said.

BTW bucks the WRFL div 1 thread has constant chatter in it.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736493&page=23

Not sure where you went.

Hope this helps.
Mate you are justing trying to pump up the NFL with that dribble about a Garbage Practice match between Port and Epping.For starters.Port havent won 6 GFs in a row.They were beaten in the last 3 before this year.They come off a summer where they lost at least 7-8 players from their beaten 2009 GF team including D.Jacobs had no preseason and didnt have a coach until 2 weeks before that Epping practice game.Played an unfit inexperienced young side against a well drilled super fit Epping that day and yes got smacked but even though they never made WRFL finals would have comfortably taken Epping during the season.Sh-- comparison because i can guarantee you if Epping played Spotswood that day they would have been poleaxed by more than 100 points.There is no doubt that NFL is probably a bit better than WRFL but if a div 2 NFL side beating a WRFL side in a rubbish practice match is how you compare leagues then give us a spell.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Region Football League Division One

Remove this Banner Ad

Back