Western Region Football League team (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Western Region Football League team

i dont think there would be a chance for us to win 6 games if we won the flag and went up but we would certainly give it a crack. i think there should be something in place for teams that go up from div 2 to be able to rebuild for two years.

how could u prove that they will be in a position to win a certain amount of games?

also if parkside stayed up then how would that be any better than the best div 2 side coming up

i dont think there would be a chance for us to win 6 games if we won the flag and went up but we would certainly give it a crack. i think there should be something in place for teams that go up from div 2 to be able to rebuild for two years.

how could u prove that they will be in a position to win a certain amount of games?

also if parkside stayed up then how would that be any better than the best div 2 side coming up
Interesting one and for all you colts boys on here, after the wekend the wheels are back on (they may never have been off) so well done on the win.
Crackers still got 4 and although in garbage time the stats say 4 and if he did that in all 18, would be close to the leading g kicker for comp.
Anyway div 2 sides to come up will not be able to compete w div 1 teams for years. History says Nth Sunshine, Seddon, Altona, Glenorden can not compete and if a west foots or heights were to come up then no doubt woulb be straight down again for one of the bottom 4. A vicous cycle.
The league may look at introducing some sort of salary cap, not financial but on a player points system like some leagues do. That would be interesting but not sure if it would or could work.
It just seems the strong get stronger and the lesser teams remain just that.
Top 4 is set I think with Albon and St Albans fighting for 5th but from reports dont think much of Albion, a few injuries and walk outs and could be 2005 / 2006 all over again. Promised so much early but delivered so little.
St Albans could be the sleeper and could help shape the top 4 as they already knocked off colts....

Just wanna say that i agree completely with the above comments regarding the difference in div 1 & div 2. There is absolutely no comparison. glenorden last year were without a doubt unbeatable in div 2, and then in their first game come out and get smashed by the bottom of div 1 yarraville. however as the year has progressed they are getting better, and will continue to get better as they adjust to div 1 (even though the scorecard won't always reflect this). What this proves is that you need a bit of continuity in the league. Teams coming off the glory of a div 2 flag and stepping into the big league have no chance of making an immediate impact. They need time to build. However saying this everything i guess could be judged on a case by case scenario. And then comes the problem of who judges this?

I just want to throw another discussion point into the air and see what people thought. i've long been curious about what people thought of this.
what if the league were to organise 3 divisions? I know initially this may sound a bit strange, if you think about it there might be some benefits. at the present time there are 22 teams in our two divisions. In the past however we have seen clubs fold and disband becasue they simply can't compete with the standards. I believe if you created 3 divisions there would be an even spread of talent actoss the board, andf it would overall make the competition much more stronger. if you kept division 1 with say 8 teams, then had two groups of 7 it would make the tranistion to the next (or lower) division less damaging. also if there were 3 divisions a lot of the struggling clubs would not be under such pressure, and might actually have some shots at success. At the moment, even in division 2, it is too hard for clubs to join the league unless they got some cash and support cause they would just end up like lavo or brunswick.
The league needs to seriously have a look a this issue, and i'd be intersted to know if they ever have considered it.

I don't wanna write too much for now but am willing to elaborate if required. Any thoughts?

Just wanna say that i agree completely with the above comments regarding the difference in div 1 & div 2. There is absolutely no comparison. glenorden last year were without a doubt unbeatable in div 2, and then in their first game come out and get smashed by the bottom of div 1 yarraville. however as the year has progressed they are getting better, and will continue to get better as they adjust to div 1 (even though the scorecard won't always reflect this). What this proves is that you need a bit of continuity in the league. Teams coming off the glory of a div 2 flag and stepping into the big league have no chance of making an immediate impact. They need time to build. However saying this everything i guess could be judged on a case by case scenario. And then comes the problem of who judges this?

I just want to throw another discussion point into the air and see what people thought. i've long been curious about what people thought of this.
what if the league were to organise 3 divisions? I know initially this may sound a bit strange, if you think about it there might be some benefits. at the present time there are 22 teams in our two divisions. In the past however we have seen clubs fold and disband becasue they simply can't compete with the standards. I believe if you created 3 divisions there would be an even spread of talent actoss the board, andf it would overall make the competition much more stronger. if you kept division 1 with say 8 teams, then had two groups of 7 it would make the tranistion to the next (or lower) division less damaging. also if there were 3 divisions a lot of the struggling clubs would not be under such pressure, and might actually have some shots at success. At the moment, even in division 2, it is too hard for clubs to join the league unless they got some cash and support cause they would just end up like lavo or brunswick.
The league needs to seriously have a look a this issue, and i'd be intersted to know if they ever have considered it.

I don't wanna write too much for now but am willing to elaborate if required. Any thoughts?

Good post there by Lopburi, agree on everything you said. :thumbsu:

i think in theory it sounds great, it would also be great if there were 1 or 2 clubs joining our comp r there any on the horizons? there has been caroline springs and point cook mentioned a bit but i cant see either of them forming in the forseeable future

i agree definently with the 3 division theory......and it is something that has been discussed at length on the division 2 thread. It seems like a logical step to enable the survival of a number of clubs, rather than the fading away into oblivion that is clearly on the cards at the moment for some teams.

The reality is that any side, be they div 1 or div 2, will find it hard to attract players and sponsors if they are getting flogged week in and week out. The league should get some balls and make a decision to safeguard the future of these clubs or watch as the WRFL turns into a laughing stock of one sided contests and clubs shutting their doors.

I have no idea who we should direct our theory too but I would love to see a bulletin from the league saying that they either 1). Looked at it and found that it was unviable for reasons X,Y and Z. Or 2). Are planning on looking at it in the near future. At least it will provide some clear direction to some clubs on where their future lies.

Couple of my thoughts for what they are worth.

Comments about Parkside not being dropped to Div 2 because of their history (made by other posters) is ridiculous. If they finish on the bottom, they are relegated, simple as that. If they are good enough in div 2 and earnt he right to get back into Div one by winning the Div 2 flag, well good luck to them. But no team should be given special consideration.

The gap from Div 1 to Div 2 is a big one but teams do adjust. Altona and Glenorden are examples of this. At this stage they are not competitive with the big sides throughout the course of a whole game, but they are improving.

Teams that think they win div 2 and are going to come up and play finals in div 1 in their first year are dreaming. Altona are moving in the right direction. They are gradually improving and have some good juniors coming through.

I am not sure about 3 divisions either. I think 10 teams in div one is a great number, perfect. It is even, everyone plays everyone twice and it is a good number of rounds. Furthermore, could you imagine the calibre of teams in div 3 if that proposal was to go ahead. It woudl be crap.

I dont know how clubs will go attracting players to paly into this competition. I personally would not wanting to be running out each week playing sides like laverton, gladdy park, brunny power, brooklyn.

I think the WRFL would love a two division comp with 10 teams in each. Maybe they are just waiting for the above 4 or so teams to drop off the side of the earth to make this happen. who knows.

Another thought, in ten years time the number of teams may have dwindled to a point where there is only one division with 14 or so teams.

I think a three division system would only work if there was a merger between the WRFL and EDFL, otherwise you can forget it.

cheers
Travvy

Ok well i'm glad this has sparked some interesting debate.
In response to your comments Travvy i appreciate the feedback, but disagree with some of the things you'e stated.

For starters in reference to your quote "I am not sure about 3 divisions either. I think 10 teams in div one is a great number, perfect. It is even, everyone plays everyone twice and it is a good number of rounds. Furthermore, could you imagine the calibre of teams in div 3 if that proposal was to go ahead. It woudl be crap".

The fact that an even amount of teams should not be a deterent for a greater and more even competition. every league has uneven amounts and it doesn't always work out properly but everybody gets on with it. Also the calibre of division 3 would be shocking, but at least it would be evenly shocking. Teams would have a chance and realise that they're not going to go out and have a certain defeat every single week. Also this would make it more approchable for new teams thinking about joining the league casue they know they can start at the bottom, rather then entering an uneven competition and getting blasted.

Secondaly "I dont know how clubs will go attracting players to paly into this competition. I personally would not wanting to be running out each week playing sides like laverton, gladdy park, brunny power, brooklyn."

The fact that these clubs go out each week and get smacked anyway wouldn't change this for players for or against. If you want to move out of div 3, then you have to work for it. you might even find more blokes are attracted to a division 3 because they realise the odds are increased in their favour, and they're not looking at a disgraceful defeat every single week. more players might join up.

And finally "I think the WRFL would love a two division comp with 10 teams in each. Maybe they are just waiting for the above 4 or so teams to drop off the side of the earth to make this happen. who knows. Another thought, in ten years time the number of teams may have dwindled to a point where there is only one division with 14 or so teams. "

I highly doubt the WRFL would be wanting 4 teams dropping out of the competition. And why would anyone want that. Footy is supposed to be a sport enjoyed by everyone, not just those more fortunate. The league would be doing everything it can to sustain teams, but there is only so much they can do. when seddon folded last year this was terrible. Here you have a club that wins back to back division 1 senior flags (against Spotty) 15 years ago, and now they are finsihed. Who wants that? and there is no chance that the league will ever dwindle to one division. Demographically speaking the area is expanding at one of the fastest rates in all of Victoria (if not the fastest). New areas are popping up at the quickest rate the west has ever seen. In 10 years time i reckon we are a certainty to have more teams emerging as the juniors come through the ranks. creating a third division now i think would just be a positive step towards the inevitable future of the WRFL.

The last 10 or so posts have made for some interesting reading. I think the common ground on most opinions is that we would all like a better/stronger more even competition to participate in??

Two divisions , three divisions what ever the case may be. Many years ago the concept of the restructering of the old zoning program to that of the now under 18 program was implemented to give a clear and direct career path for all those who played in our region. It is about time this was enforced and all of the clubs that fall into the western zone, play in the WRFL. This would have obvious benefits I would think?

Your thoughts??

Great win by the colts boys today,easily our best performance for the year and a win we really set our selves for.
I know spotty were missing 5 walk up starts[kelly,molan,beasley,pelar and musca] and we also had some good players out[webb,twomey,wittmar and burns] so we are not getting to excited about it but a win we are proud of and now we want to build on it.
Hoppers knocking of sunshine was interesting,really evens the ladder up and it will be a big game next up when spotty and sunshine meet,both sides will be out to redeem themselves.
A week off and for an old bloke i look forward to it,enjoy the rest boys and be ready and raring to go for rd 9.

THE BIG QUESTION?
How the **** did crackers get 4 goals in junk time after bonnet give him a bath....................i'm still in shock

well i have certaintly copped it this week on big footy, thanks fellas..

the 4 i kicked were in junk time and the game was well and truely over at that stage and torren did give me a bath, i was easily beaten on the day as was our team. i was copping it from the crowd which is great i love it and i was just having some fun back, gotta enjoy urself on the field.

well done to the colts boys they played quaility game looked very impressive. our boys just have to regroup and get set for the challange against sunshine.

and to the peanut bagging laverton, seriously mate what the fcuk you on about, you have never met me or spoken to me so how can u judge me. w

and beazer still looking for a hairdresser from altona, im struggling big time here gonna have to get stuck inbto the ladyboys

The last 10 or so posts have made for some interesting reading. I think the common ground on most opinions is that we would all like a better/stronger more even competition to participate in??

Two divisions , three divisions what ever the case may be. Many years ago the concept of the restructering of the old zoning program to that of the now under 18 program was implemented to give a clear and direct career path for all those who played in our region. It is about time this was enforced and all of the clubs that fall into the western zone, play in the WRFL. This would have obvious benefits I would think?

Your thoughts??

That's a very interesting point. I can't really comment much on this cause i'm unsure of how it operates, but i'd love to know more if anyone can elaborate. What are the clubs playing outside the western zone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the 4 i kicked were in junk time and the game was well and truely over at that stage and torren did give me a bath, i was easily beaten on the day as was our team. i was copping it from the crowd which is great i love it and i was just having some fun back, gotta enjoy urself on the field.

well done to the colts boys they played quaility game looked very impressive. our boys just have to regroup and get set for the challange against sunshine.

and beazer still looking for a hairdresser from altona, im struggling big time here gonna have to get stuck inbto the ladyboys

don't get to upset crackers take the good with the bad,you have had a good run and torren usualy beats most opponents,im sure you will bounce back.
It was not much of a game after quarter time but you guys done well not to get blown out the water and you had some good players missing and im sure you will be hard to beat come finals time.

Nothing wrong with that, we need characters in this game and the colts have got more than their fair share, so you're not robinson crusoe in that department. Something noticed by some keen observers though, was the Spottys coach lack of intensity at the 1/4 and 3/4 time breaks. If ever blokes needed a rocket up them it was then, but there was no emotion shown whatsoever.

yeah.....new to me also. More info.....??:thumbsu:

I think most of you can remember that prior to the draft players were zoned to a VFL club from a certain area. This did not guarentee that all in that zone would only ever get to play for the said club but in most cases any potential stars were directed to their clubs under 19's and if good enough progressed onto the clubs senior list. Most VFL clubs had an VFA affilite and there were many players that moved between the two comps. There were of course many players who were swapped/ cleared from one club to another just the same as the trade goes these days.
Around the time of the VFL/AFL expansion the powers to be decided that in order to have the perfect system it was decided to abandon the zoning concept and set up regions. Thus the under 18 comp begun.There were also some other reason's behind the reduction in age group etc as well but for the sake of the discussion they are not relevent. The regions were designed to create a clear and direct career path from juinors through to seniors. In our case the FDFL/WRFL through to the western Bulldogs. The western region borders are from the base of the west gate bridge across to Werribee over to Baccus Marsh and back down to Taylors lakes. The border being the calder highway at Keilor. My veiw is that all clubs in our region play in the WRFL as it was intented.

I think most of you can remember that prior to the draft players were zoned to a VFL club from a certain area. This did not guarentee that all in that zone would only ever get to play for the said club but in most cases any potential stars were directed to their clubs under 19's and if good enough progressed onto the clubs senior list. Most VFL clubs had an VFA affilite and there were many players that moved between the two comps. There were of course many players who were swapped/ cleared from one club to another just the same as the trade goes these days.
Around the time of the VFL/AFL expansion the powers to be decided that in order to have the perfect system it was decided to abandon the zoning concept and set up regions. Thus the under 18 comp begun.There were also some other reason's behind the reduction in age group etc as well but for the sake of the discussion they are not relevent. The regions were designed to create a clear and direct career path from juinors through to seniors. In our case the FDFL/WRFL through to the western Bulldogs. The western region borders are from the base of the west gate bridge across to Werribee over to Baccus Marsh and back down to Taylors lakes. The border being the calder highway at Keilor. My veiw is that all clubs in our region play in the WRFL as it was intented.

Would that be the Western side of the bridge?
This would mean no more Port Colts in the WRFL
The Western region is in regards to the Western Jets then it is open for any AFL club to pick any player in the draft, Western Bulldogs have got no alignment with any region anymore.

Maybe an idea to increase the number of teams in the league is for AFLVictoria to take a stand and decrease the number of clubs in the Amatures. Then the WRFL would gain the likes of Werribee and Williamstown for a start.

It would be good for the WRFL to gain two clubs like this, then with Caroline Springs and Point Cook could come in,place them in a third senior grade,keeping Division 1 as 10 teams. Now that's how quick a third Division could start.

and to the peanut bagging laverton, seriously mate what the fcuk you on about, you have never met me or spoken to me so how can u judge me. w

Doesnt surprise me that you are starving Crackers. Just another trip away without troubling the scorers. Keep your eye out for her, she will be the 1 eating from the trough. You cant miss her, she is the female version of Mr Ed.

Lopburi, I would be interested to see your proposal for the three divisions. Who would be the 8 teams in Div one, and the 7 teams in Div 2 and 3?

i agree obe so the likes of gladdy park and brunswick and coburg can go to the essendon league where they belong and the likes of taylors lakes and sydenham/hillside would becom part of the wrfl is that wot ur getting at?

Would that be the Western side of the bridge?
This would mean no more Port Colts in the WRFL
The Western region is in regards to the Western Jets then it is open for any AFL club to pick any player in the draft, Western Bulldogs have got no alignment with any region anymore.

It would be good for the WRFL to gain two clubs like this, then with Caroline Springs and Point Cook could come in,place them in a third senior grade,keeping Division 1 as 10 teams. Now that's how quick a third Division could start.

Your correct in your piont from above but the original intention of the regional structure was to provide a stream so all that lived in an area went on to represent that area at the highest level. The western area incorparates three VFL clubs, more that any other region. There are a number of reason for this, not all good let me say, buts that another story. My original piont is that sides like Melton , Melton south , Melton Central , Rockbank , Sydenham/ Hillside , Weeribbe Centrals and Taylors lakes would become WRFL clubs. And as you aluded too, we would loose Coburg Districts, Brunswick and St Bernards in the juinors. If we are to be a true WRFL then that would be the case. All I am saying is that if this was to be the case I would see it as a way to bolster the level of footy in each division, (which would probaly go back to 3 )

at the risk of sounding stupid y cant the wrfl look at this as an option. we have somebody at the league now who has years of experience of working as this regions representative surely mr Batty should be doing something.

obviously the essendon comp have the same problem with keilor park getting spanked every week in div 1 and the likes of hadfield sydneham i think north coburg the same in div 2 surely we could work something out together

CABBY,what happened in your game,was there a wind or some kind of advantage to one end?27 goals to 6 seems a bit strange and you guys must have missed some chances.
Big game next up against spotty,and they shoul be just about full strength,although mangan may struggle to come up with a hammy.
How is your squad looking and is that mentha still playing with you guys or back at werribee?
If you guys loose you will slip out the top 3 and if spotty loose they will surrender a big advantage they had in holding top spot.

We have one tough away game left for the year in rd 10 against hoppers then we get sunshine,albion,st.albans and spotty all at home which for us is a big advantage for us playing those tough games at home.

CABBY,what happened in your game,was there a wind or some kind of advantage to one end?27 goals to 6 seems a bit strange and you guys must have missed some chances.
Big game next up against spotty,and they shoul be just about full strength,although mangan may struggle to come up with a hammy.
How is your squad looking and is that mentha still playing with you guys or back at werribee?
If you guys loose you will slip out the top 3 and if spotty loose they will surrender a big advantage they had in holding top spot.

We have one tough away game left for the year in rd 10 against hoppers then we get sunshine,albion,st.albans and spotty all at home which for us is a big advantage for us playing those tough games at home.

And we play St Albans, Hoppers, Port and Sunshine away. A hard run home leading into the finals thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back