Western Region Football League team (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Western Region Football League team

Further to what I said in an earlier post, I heard at cricket last night that Knezevic shafted the team he initially signed for in West Footscray for a better offer from Albion. Apparently the figure is 3K sign on and $750 a game, and thats coming from a mate of his apparently. Nobody in the comp is worth that sort of money let alone a midfielder, maybe a gun ruckman or key position player. Im sure Albion will be very competetive this year but this is crazy. I would have thought that this money would be better off spent on players they need, like key position players.

Agree with you beazer but i think in all local footy no matter what type of player they are not woth it.
The sooner we have a cap where players are rated on a points system the more secure our clubs and league will become.
I also heard that in 2009 the edfl will be putting this system in place hopefully all leagues follow suit,all local clubs need it for their survival...

Agree with you beazer but i think in all local footy no matter what type of player they are not woth it.
The sooner we have a cap where players are rated on a points system the more secure our clubs and league will become.
I also heard that in 2009 the edfl will be putting this system in place hopefully all leagues follow suit,all local clubs need it for their survival...

This is essentially what does divide clubs $ but how would you control it? There would be a lot of dodgy under the table type stuff going on i'd think. Clubs would then have to employ accountants to ensure all is above board. I like it just don't know how they would monitor it!

Lucas McGhie not going any where, 100%. If he doesn't play it will be cause he can no longer get Saturdays off work. Has been one of the major driving forces to get West back up to Div 1

Rumors are running around like crazy at the moment BUT if he has done this, doesn't show much as a person and i'm some of the we$t blokes will introduce themselves to him through the season! IF true, b/c the truth will come out.

Now beaz, any goss on the new coach for 2008? maybe a Montebello? has the respect down there but not sure if he has the time?

I heard that Montebello is retiring and from reports has not been seen at training as of yet. Can any Spotty boys clarify this?

Has it been confirmed yet if O'Neill and Hoath are back at the Colts? Any other former players returning?

Lucas McGhie not going any where, 100%. If he doesn't play it will be cause he can no longer get Saturdays off work. Has been one of the major driving forces to get West back up to Div 1

Would be a major loss if did happen to leave which as you said would be highly unlikely.

Impressive stats from last year - kicked over 50 goals, named at CHF and Captain in team of the year, B&F, Bagged a half dozen in the GF and was best on. Super year no matter what division

St Albans sound like they have many irons in the fire. Have heard that they are talking also to Nick Aloi. Nick would be a solid onballer in the WRFL for sure. It would be even bette for the saints if they lure his brother with him also as a package deal. He is also chatting with Greenvale and some teams up in the GV.

As has been stated on the forum, the kangas are up and running for their 2008 season. Beazers comments (i think it was) about the older guys. We have a few training with us who are just interested in maintaining their fitness however on the wednesday night that spotty were there, the Essendon Super Rules boys actually ran off just in front of us.

Plyometric session on Wednesday night was different and extremely tough. Pulled up as stiff as a brick as i am sure many have. Will be a light night tonight i assume.

Sunshine for 2008, there will be some additions and departures as there are at most clubs every year. Foley and mentha are the two notable additions at this stage with dicussions taking place with a few more. Its all speculation though at this early stage.

Rumors are running around like crazy at the moment BUT if he has done this, doesn't show much as a person and i'm some of the we$t blokes will introduce themselves to him through the season! IF true, b/c the truth will come out.

Now beaz, any goss on the new coach for 2008? maybe a Montebello? has the respect down there but not sure if he has the time?

Andrew 'Chucka' Knezevic is a great bloke and not used to dealing with clubs as he has been playing at Keilor for peanuts for the last four 4 years after 2 seasons at Werribee in their seniors. He hasn't signed anywhere and that's a fact. If fit he will be a gun ruck rover half forward and will kick about 50 goals in the WRFL.

Any truth to the rumour that Jim Condos is not happy to play at Old Essendon?

Back to Parkside maybe?

Monty is over the hill. His body is f#cked and runs like Cliff Young these days. Would be a good coach as he has a very good football brain but I dont think he wants to coach yet. I might put my hand up myself. We wouldnt do too flash but we would have a good time.

Would be a major loss if did happen to leave which as you said would be highly unlikely.

Impressive stats from last year - kicked over 50 goals, named at CHF and Captain in team of the year, B&F, Bagged a half dozen in the GF and was best on. Super year no matter what division

I agree it was a good year, but pretty sure it does matter what division you are in. He will get towelled up in Div 1.

I agree it was a good year, but pretty sure it does matter what division you are in. He will get towelled up in Div 1.

Division 1 is hardly the VFL (or the EDFL for that matter). I think sometimes you get carried away.

If West get pumped every week then yes he may struggle. If they put together a competitive unit then he will do well. This guy has super talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Division 1 is hardly the VFL (or the EDFL for that matter). I think sometimes you get carried away.

If West get pumped every week then yes he may struggle. If they put together a competitive unit then he will do well. This guy has super talent.

There is an unbelievable difference between Div 1 & 2. For starters he will not recieve 30% as much ball down into the forward line becasue West won't be strong enough to give it to him. I'm not denying he's got talent, just saying there is a massive difference, and that he'll struggle. He didn't have 1 quality defender on him all year compared to Div 1 standards.

There is an unbelievable difference between Div 1 & 2. For starters he will not recieve 30% as much ball down into the forward line becasue West won't be strong enough to give it to him. I'm not denying he's got talent, just saying there is a massive difference, and that he'll struggle. He didn't have 1 quality defender on him all year compared to Div 1 standards.

I am not comparing the strengths of the two divisions. Let's not forget it is one league, so the strength of each is all relative.

If you are a good enough player you will do well. At North Footscray we have lost good players to division 1 over the past 10 years and they have mainly held their own. Granted, it is tougher for a key position player, than a wingman or flanker.

The only caveat for this argument is if West lose by 100 points every week. If they are competitive (which I expect them to be) then McGhee will do well. It is not like he is going to play down at Williamstown or Werribee.

I am not comparing the strengths of the two divisions. Let's not forget it is one league, so the strength of each is all relative.

If you are a good enough player you will do well. At North Footscray we have lost good players to division 1 over the past 10 years and they have mainly held their own. Granted, it is tougher for a key position player, than a wingman or flanker.

The only caveat for this argument is if West lose by 100 points every week. If they are competitive (which I expect them to be) then McGhee will do well. It is not like he is going to play down at Williamstown or Werribee.

i think you will find out that he will struggle against the top six sides in div1. he will kick goals against yarraville, altona and glen orden but when he is playing against the top six sides he will have a quality opponent on him and delivery will not be as good or as often. That is not to stay he is not a good player but would be a better player if he was the no.2 or no.3 forward rather than there one and only target up forward.

ps . and he can do the "duck the head" in some contested situations

Considering I was the 1 who posted that Kenezevic had apparently signed at 2 clubs, I should also say that I heard on the weekend that he hadnt signed at West Footscray and only Albion. Not sure whether he did or didnt but I thought I should mention that I heard that he hadnt.

yeah i agree with all the posts regarding lucas mcghie but you got to remember that back in divy 1 season 2002 he was only 18 years old , west got smashed by 100 points every game so not much deleivery and he still kicked 50 goals and made forward pocket team of the year . also the bloke has done 2 pre season at afl clubs so his got the resume to back it up

Considering I was the 1 who posted that Kenezevic had apparently signed at 2 clubs, I should also say that I heard on the weekend that he hadnt signed at West Footscray and only Albion. Not sure whether he did or didnt but I thought I should mention that I heard that he hadnt.
Beazer starting false rumours. Didnt think someone that has had so many about himself would do that ha ha

Any truth to the rumour that Jim Condos is not happy to play at Old Essendon?

Back to Parkside maybe?

It looks like AK has signed with Albion.

Albion is a very lucky to have signed this bloke as he can and will tear the WRFL apart if he gets fit and enjoys his football.

Albion is a club that may or may not suit him. They will either like him or not. He is a good bloke. Opposition put your best player on him as he will win Albion some games off his own boot.

Good Luck AK gutsy move going to Albion. Enjoy your year.

Beazer starting false rumours. Didnt think someone that has had so many about himself would do that ha ha

Nah, just posting what I heard. Whats happening at Port? Heard that Caddy and Chisnel are off to Heidleberg or North Heidleberg?? Lost any others/picked any up? I dont know how you blokes do it. Our training last night was shocking. Our fitness is terrible and our skills are disgraceful. I know we have only just started but I cant understand how you prepare fitness, skills, game plans etc in when you start after xmas.

yeah i agree with all the posts regarding lucas mcghie but you got to remember that back in divy 1 season 2002 he was only 18 years old , west got smashed by 100 points every game so not much deleivery and he still kicked 50 goals and made forward pocket team of the year . also the bloke has done 2 pre season at afl clubs so his got the resume to back it up

Not to sure about those 2 afl preseasons mate, he did have a run down at richmond for a few weeks but that is a lot different then doing a full 3 month AFL preseason.

Albion continue to forge forward, Justin Doorwood has signed on as Steve Zavals assistant.

Not to sure about those 2 afl preseasons mate, he did have a run down at richmond for a few weeks but that is a lot different then doing a full 3 month AFL preseason.

Albion continue to forge forward, Justin Doorwood has signed on as Steve Zavals assistant.

Albion have been on the forge forward since i started umpiring boys! Hopefully the Dorwoord, Zavalas combination can bring them the discipline they need plus the skill and fitness to win games. Is Broadbent staying? He was their shining light last year and a great find.

Knez at Albion, very interesting. Can certanly play the game, looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back