What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

MadBomberman

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U, Melbourne Heart, Bulls
Was thinking of a moment I will never forget. Surprisingly 2 of them came this year. The first being the 94-1 quarter time score of the Essendon Vs Gold Coast game. I was stunned as I walked up to my seat. Its was 19-0 when I checked the scores (while in line), I think 38-1 when I walked upstairs and 56-1 when I sat down.

The other is the Geelong Vs Melbourne game. I was at a kebab store near my area and the store had the game playing. i completely forgot the game was on as I was watching the bulldogs Vs Eagles game before I left the house. As I looked in, I thought I saw the score reading 220-47, but I wasn't too sure. I told my brother and he didn't believe me. I then looked again and saw 120 for some reason. I walked in the store and literally dropped what I had in my hand when I saw 226-47.

The 2009 ANZAC day game is one that I will never forget. I thought that Essendon were finished as my Collingwood supporting brother was jumping around in happiness. Was supposed to go to work at that time but opted to stay until the end of the game. I got a bit excited after Jetta's goal, but thought it was all over when Jetta missed the perfect opportunity. Remember joffa wearing the golden jacket. Then came ZAHARAKIS! The rest is history.

Leo Barry's mark in the 05 grand final is another. That mark and that grand final is what got me into footy. Wanted Sydney to win and they did, but "Leo Barry you star!" is one I will never forget. Since I came in 2002, I didn't really like footy for those 3 years until that moment.

Just missed the 2001 Essendon Vs north comeback, so can't really say anything about that. What are your moments?

2006 Geelong vs West Coast, I switched off when the score was 79-25 in the 3rd. I came back later on at the start of the 4th to see Adam Hunter boot one from 50 to make the score 92-62, so I started watching again. The rest is history.

The very next week I went to Subi to watch West Coast smash Carlton (in theory). Halfway through the 3rd it was 81-37 Carlton's way, you could hear a pencil drop at Subi at that stage. West Coast were making inroads but with about 14mins to go it was still 100-72. The best part was when it was 101-93, from the centre bounce it came to out to Rowan Jones who handballed it to Cuz who ran in to 35 and threaded, the crowd went crazy.

I also remember the last few moments of the 06 GF like it was yesterday. Kerr for whatever reason kicks it to a contest in the middle, Rowan Jones and Leo Barry collide, RoJo wins the ball, hand passes to Lynch, who toes it to Waters, who handpasses in the air to no one, Fosdike breaks the Cousins tackle, kicks it to the 50 where it goes out of bounds.

lucky Brucie

Helen-DAmicos-nude-dash-in-the-1982-AFL-grand-final-5989942.jpg

-Scott Lucas kicks the winning goal against Carlton (I think 1998) after we were about 25 points down deep into the last
-Hirdy hug
-Jarman becomes a devil to the Saints in the best quarter of footy I've seen a man play
2001 comeback against the Roos

Seeing and hearing the Richmond cheer squad on their feet, bringing the Tigers crowd up with the North crowd as Jason McCartney ran down to take his position.

There have been some amazing football moments but as a memory - a moment I felt blessed to have been there for - that topped everything.

One moment will always stand out to me.
93 prelim final Bombers V Crows.
Essendons 3rd quarter comeback being 42 points down at half time reached a point when Mercuri kicked a goal about mid quarter.

The roar of the crowd when that goal was kicked I have never ever heard anything like it and any sporting event anywhere. And that is my reaction watching on TV, I can only imagine what that was like at the ground.

Been to 5 grand finals and 7 prelims since then and have not heard anything close to that.

1. Jezza's mark in the 1970 GF - the image is indelibly etched in my memory. This was a 'VFL' moment, but let's face it VFL became AFL.
2. Gary Ablett Senior's superhuman feats - there are so many, but one that stays with me was his first game for Geelong under Hafey. I didn't know anything about Ablett, but in his first game he took spectacular marks, kicked goals, got reported and received BOG.
3. The Geelong chant midway through the last quarter of the 2011 GF. Collingwood supporters come out with their chant at the drop of a hat, but Geelong supporters reserve their chant for special moments, and this time the chant signified the 2011GF was Geelong's.
4. Billy Brownless kicking the winning goal in the 1994 QF v Bulldogs, and Sandy Roberts aptly declaring, "Billy Brownless, the monkey is off your back".
5. Dermott Brereton muscling his way through the Essendon team during a quarter time break - was it the first GF between these sides in the 80's? It made you realise what a larrikin he was (he's just an idiot now).

Round 22, 1987.

The scoreboard catching fire before a Richmond / Carlton game (think that might have been a round 22 game as well?)

Meatloaf, alas, will take some time to forget.

1. Paul Chapman taking a hanger in the '07 Grand Final right in front of me and my old man (Geelong supporter). The seats we had were amazing and for that day only I was a Geelong supporter.
2. Last year when Andrew Walker took that mark at the 'G. We were right up the back this time however but it was in front of the pocket we were sitting near and the crowd went absolutely berserk. Carlton and Essendon fans - it didn't matter. People were jumping up and down in their seats and going off their brains. Was awesome to see.

*sigh* all my awesome memories are of other teams hahah. Hopefully someday there will be some good Richmond memories in there somewhere.

1)Justin Madden kicking his goal in the 1995 Grand Final, I knew we had won it after that goal.

2)David Parkin going nuts after we beat Adelaide in 1998 at Football Park.

3)Justin Murphy holding the ball over his head when the siren sounded in the 1999 PF.

1997, 2009 and 2010 grand finals. Especially 97, that one seriously hurt. :( All of them were close in a way, but gradually slipped away. 04 preliminary final as well. One day, football might not be so cruel...

Robert Harvey tearing Carlton apart in 97 or 98.

Games generally at Waverley Park and Moorabbin.

Gary Moorcroft mark. Geelong vs Sydney - the Nic Davis game. Nathan Brown breaking his leg - the whole crowd was shocked.

Eddies face when Dane Swan didn't win the Brownlow, but Judd did.

Scoreboard at MCG catching on fire and the lights going out at Waverley.

Weird things happening St Kilda vs Freo like Peter Carey marking the ball, and Sirengate.

Eddies face when Dane Swan didn't win the Brownlow, but Judd did.

Eddie's face when Varcoe kicked the sealer in the last quarter of the grand final.

Jeff's face when Geelong kicked 4 unanswered goals in the third quarter of qualifying final that killed off the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Running onto the ground when a 21 year old Lance Franklin, became the first player since Tony Lockett to kick 100 goals in a H&A season :D

Nathan Ablett's two goals in 07, that's when I knew we had our first flag in my lifetime and I'm normally a pessimist. Hard to explain but remember it like it was yesterday.

Being at the first ever Eagles game against Richmond in 1987 was also one I remember. Was right in front of the goals at the Subi end in the last quarter, was quite enjoyable..never crossed the line to become an Eagle though like my brother did. Still got the original ticket stub to that game actually.

97 grand final. Won the local footy tipping comp and was my first afl grand final and will forever be etched into my memory. Jarman's last quarter was astounding.

Another last quarter effort this time in 07 at subiaco, scotty lucas' send off for sheedy and hird. No matter how much of a w***er i have always thought sheedy to be and how much i've hated the bombers at times (mainly in the 90's) the efforts of lucas in that last quarter effectively killed our season and ensured the beginning of geelongs dynasty.

There's a few Roy and HG moments that stand out for me from Grand Finals too.

-Abusing Mick and Licuria after the 2002 Grand Final when they were on camera crying.

"Go home you losers! Look at you you pair of girls! You're nothing!"

-At a ball up during the 2005 Grand Final.

"That's what we want to see HG, a big bunch of arses and then big Cox to jump in there and split them".

-Late in the 2004 Grand Final.

"And Cassissi with the nose spills to ball but Akermanis grabs it and looks like he's the only bloody lion out there that thinks they can still win the bloody stupid thing"

Being at the first ever Eagles game against Richmond in 1987 was also one I remember. Was right in front of the goals at the Subi end in the last quarter, was quite enjoyable..never crossed the line to become an Eagle though like my brother did. Still got the original ticket stub to that game actually.
Just watched that game this morning for the first time, was released with the 92 Victory Pack recently (sorry...). Good game.

The moment I most remember is obviously the 2006 Grand Final, and some of the incredible finals we've played in the last 5-6 years (05 v Sydney x 2, 06 v Sydney x 2, 06PF v Adel, 07QF v Port, 07SF v Coll, 11SF v Carl)

But for non-eagles related moments, cannot go past Nick Davis v Geelong SF 05. The most impressive match winning performance, on a big stage, that I can remember. Couldn't believe the stadium was still standing after the siren went, the crowd was that loud.

Nick Davis last quarter in the Semi Final

Corey Jones goal from the pocket with 15 seconds to go in the match when we came back from 40 down at three quarter time.

Gary Moorecroft mark.

Ess vs North massive comeback (Damn)

Wayne Carey left foot goal from the boundary

To be honest, I'm usually too drunk to watch the big moments. Thank Zeus for the highlights on tv the day after. I do remember BJ's mark in the first GF in 2010. Jumped out of my seat screaming 'BJ'. Thought the Saints had it after he goaled.
Vaguely remember Longy kicking a goal after a nice run in '93. Sos' claim of touch notwithstanding. And remember yelling out 'Mutley' everytime Jarman kicked another to win it. Though I didn't see the game much because I got so hammered the night before, my head hurt so much that I lay on the floor and didn't move for 3 quarters, except to gingerly sip from my beer. Eventually hair-of-the-dog kicked in...drinking problem? Yeah, not enough of it....:D

Just a couple off the top of my head. The last 15 or so minutes of the 1989 Grand Final, which I attended, simply amazing.
Stewy Dew, and Hawthorn's, 10-15 minutes of magic in the 3rd in the '08 GF, to sink one of the most dominant teams of our time. Awesome.

gehrig kicking his 100th in the prelim and getting that break that stopped the momentum.. you don't know what could have happened otherwise

same with michael wilson missing the 07 grand final. much bigger loss than most non-port fans will understand

the 1994 grand final and how geelong's flag pre game that was flown from behind a planewas all twisted up and not smooth like the eagles one. don't ask me why, i was so young i thought this would have an effect on the cats game

maybe hawkins' patch in the grand final this year, that was good to see especially against the magpies

looking around and analysing the crows supporters when we beat them in showdowns. i love thinking about how basic their lives must be. it's fantastic how quiet and terrible they are when they aren't winning

lucky Brucie

Helen-DAmicos-nude-dash-in-the-1982-AFL-grand-final-5989942.jpg

haha classic, I think I was 6 when I caught this during the GF, I was an AFL (VFL back then obviously) convert from that moment !

other moments :

* the eerie feeling that fell over the ground as Hawthorn and Geelong decided to focus on beating the crap out of each other instead of playing football at Princes Park; as a young fella it was pretty weird to watch - supporters were oddly quiet in the last quarter when all hell was breaking loose .. (I was there !)

* Ablett's 9 in the '89 Grand Final, the highlight of which was his amazing goal from the boundary throw-in (I was there !)

* the whole distasteful-yet-compelling Carey/Stevens/Archer 'reunion' match

* Ablett's televised pre-season (Panasonic cup ?) game against Carlton in (I think) 1987, it was as close as I have seen to a bloke being literally unstoppable, from my dodgy memory I think he kicked 6 goals in a quarter, with Peter Dean and Tommy Alvin trying to rape him at every contest

* ending the drought
(2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back