Remove this Banner Ad

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Swan Districts.
As an outsider looking into the club I am genuinely confused as to what they're doing with their list, they haven't bottomed out yet, they still have numerous older players yet to hang up the boots, yet they've decided to bring in 3 mature age players, and opted to trade away their #3 draft pick when ideally this is the time they'd be trying to stock pile young players and develop them as part of their future core, do they genuinely believe they can make one last gasp effort for finals?

I don't know, the Fremantle supporter in me would be happy to see them down the bottom for years to come, but the objective part of me is just wondering whether this is strategic or pure incompetence on their behalf?

Maybe they saw the player they wanted being around at pick 12
Whilst being able to grab two experienced players

Bold move!

As they already have a centerpiece in Reid to build around. Wouldve thought instilling confidence in him with some other top line players around his age being a priority

They’re trying to get better without being complete shizen. Makes sense to me.

What doesn’t make sense is trading out Pick 3 when they really didn’t need to, Pyke then claiming that they will still get a good player later in the first round, only for their list manager to say after trade deadline that they will try to trade up. 🤪

There's probably been a handshake deal done where we'll trade some of these future picks for Richmond's current haul, and end up with a first rounder for the upcoming draft, maybe even come out ahead a bit in these deal. Maybe the future pick 1 we have for their pick 10 and something else.

Theres plenty of examples in history of teams trading out picks for established players. Hawthorn's dynasty was largely attributed this ffs. Not suggesting we're anywhere even close to finals.

As an outsider looking into the club I am genuinely confused as to what they're doing with their list, they haven't bottomed out yet, they still have numerous older players yet to hang up the boots, yet they've decided to bring in 3 mature age players, and opted to trade away their #3 draft pick when ideally this is the time they'd be trying to stock pile young players and develop them as part of their future core, do they genuinely believe they can make one last gasp effort for finals?

I don't know, the Fremantle supporter in me would be happy to see them down the bottom for years to come, but the objective part of me is just wondering whether this is strategic or pure incompetence on their behalf?

It's been pretty much explained.

They wanted Hawks 14 plus extras to land Baker.

Hawks lost patience and traded 14.

Eagles had to pivot and get the deal done as a commitment was made to Baker.

That deal turned into a sh!t fight because Hawks played silly buggers. Player manager ripped them a new one.

The pick 3 split was done as plan B and Owies was the steak knives in the deal, nothing more. And he was offered a contract so wouldn't be a DFA and likely Richmond would have nabbed him in the PSD. Owies is a Cripps replacement for the Eagles. One year left for Cripps Max.

Eagles were looking for support for the kids and to set standards. They landed Graham for free to help Reid and Kelly.

Baker at half back.

Owies the gut running pressure forward.

Once all the other deals were done the Eagles went back to the Hawks and stared them down after having the rug pulled in day 2. The Hawks paid a massive price for Barrass. MASSIVE.

Hawthorns fans won't agree but in reality the Hawks gave up close to their entire original 2025 draft hand for a 29 year old full back with back issues. F1st plus F2nd plus F3rd with a 4th going back. Ouch.

Right now the Eagles have the most picks and points in 2025 based on 2024 ladder positions. They can easily trade into the 2024 draft either on draft night or prior to.

They have the flexibility to trade their F1st and bring it forward and still retain enough picks for a Warner trade next year.

Will be surprised if they hold the same picks now and use them on draft night.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are West Coast trying to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back