Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Wells gets all the credit for recruiting - and no doubt he has unearthed some gems. But it's what happens once they get here that probably needs some long overdue praise.

On 360 last night Adam Simpson acknowledged Geelong's 'craft' when praising Scott.

Scott turned around and said it actually had little to do with him, and it was the product of the development team, headed by Lappin, instead.

That seems the best matches I can do, with Tom Stewart for Bowes the clear odd one out. I think in reality Stewart comes back in for either him or more likely Duncan or Tuhoy.
Stewart will come in for Mullin.

I don't know why people (not just you) predict that one of three players, none of whom have played in the VFL this year, will suddenly be dropped out of the blue. Whoever gets dropped for Stewart will be one of the two guys who have flitted between VFL and AFL this year in the back half - Bews, and Mullin.

I don't know why people (not just you) predict that one of three players, none of whom have played in the VFL this year, will suddenly be dropped out of the blue. Whoever gets dropped for Stewart will be one of the two guys who have flitted between VFL and AFL this year in the back half - Bews, and Mullin.
Yeah fair call.

I'd probably only consider Mullin if we play Hawthorn - pace could be handy and he played wel lagainst them at the G this year from memory.

Just a thought, but I wonder if some of the guys like Duncan (who some think are washed up) would contemplate moving back to the VFL and mentoring the guys coming up in 2025.
The club doesn't pay vets to specifically play VFL, that's a waste of a list spot, especially given our recent success with rookie/late picks.

I think Duncan will be offered an extension, based on the club's previous history of not wanting to turn over too many veterans at the end of any one year, and the fact that we're already losing Tuohy and Hawkins, and Stanley and Rohan would be ahead of Duncan in the exit queue.

I disagree with their assessment - while he was built like a stick, he always looked pretty composed and good with the ball for mine.
Agreed some of us said early that Zuthrie may not make it due to size but he has something that others don't and that was composure. and just for that he is worth giving time to.

Thankfully he put on some size and is now a very good player.

Yeah it'll be Mullin or Bews almost certainly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tuohy comes into the 22 for the other one as he's been there all year. There's a chance we weren't backing him to play 4 full games in a row and held him back in case we needed to go the long way.

Then sub is C Guthrie, Mullin or Bews. For mine it's in that order and dependent on fitness.

Agreed some of us said early that Zuthrie may not make it due to size but he has something that others don't and that was composure. and just for that he is worth giving time to.

Thankfully he put on some size and is now a very good player.

The 2017 QF when he was tiny and about our only player who was clean and composed showed he could be a player. He weirdly lost complete confidence for a couple of years but eventually it all clicked.

Yeah it'll be Mullin or Bews almost certainly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tuohy comes into the 22 for the other one as he's been there all year. There's a chance we weren't backing him to play 4 full games in a row and held him back in case we needed to go the long way.

Then sub is C Guthrie, Mullin or Bews. For mine it's in that order and dependent on fitness.
What I think will happen: Stewart straight in for Mullin. Tuohy stays sub, largely down to the fact that his versatility makes him the perfect substitute.

What I hope will happen: Stewart straight in for Mullin, SdK in for Bews, Stewart to spend more time up around the ball with Jack Henry as that third tall. Tuohy stays sub.

I don't think they will bring Guthrie in, even as sub - if someone goes off injured in the first quarter, there is way too much risk in having him play a full game.

Probably trains great, but get him on edge. Same with Bews, SDK , touhy and a few more. Get them hungry. Holmes & O. Henry missed cups in the last two years… they should be training the house down and letting their teammates know the pain of missing out on a cup. Let’s rev them all up ! Can’t be satisfied with a demolition of putrid pretender Port.
Harder game is coming.
So the original training standards comment you made was an assertion of your opinion stated as fact.. to be clear

You have no idea how he trains- poorly or well but based on fluctuation in output you presume to know his standards have dropped

Go Catters

On 360 last night Adam Simpson acknowledged Geelong's 'craft' when praising Scott.

Scott turned around and said it actually had little to do with him, and it was the product of the development team, headed by Lappin, instead.
I like what he said about tactics too. How Scotty created 'layers', and the WCE coaching team had no idea how he did it. Would love to have gotten more insight into that. However, as usual, CS didnt talk about the second part and instead gave credit to the development coaches for the first part. And then the conversation moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like what he said about tactics too. How Scotty created 'layers', and the WCE coaching team had no idea how he did it. Would love to have gotten more insight into that. However, as usual, CS didnt talk about the second part and instead gave credit to the development coaches for the first part. And then the conversation moved on.

Same.

It was an intriguing comment. I would've liked more clarification too so I could've understood what he meant.

This is Jake Kolodjashnij's last year, isn't it? If we make the Grand Final it will be game 199 for him. Win it and he's be a dual Premiership player, but 199...

This is Jake Kolodjashnij's last year, isn't it? If we make the Grand Final it will be game 199 for him. Win it and he's be a dual Premiership player, but 199...

While Jake is currently out of contract, I'm not sure it's going to be his last season - there's been contract extension talk discussed going back to May/June

Think the only question is if it's a 2-year extension or 3-years

But doesn't sound like he's in a rush nor considering going elsewhere

Was listening to Kane and Kingy on SEN and they raised a really good point about Zuthrie. When he first started out, he looked very unlikely to turn into the player he's become. Built like a matchstick, confused out there sometimes, wilted under pressure etc. It's a massive credit to the player development team down at Geelong to turn these guys into seriously valuable players we depend on. We just keep doing it. I genuinely believe that the players themselves are only half the story. How many other clubs out there could have turned a Mark Blicavs into the player he's become? Same with Z Guthrie, Kolo, Gryan etc.
I picked it from Zuthrie after his first preseason game:

Zach Guthrie looked like a player. Really impressed with the kid, he seemed to be in everything. Had a few comments from my mates "who's that kid?"

While Jake is currently out of contract, I'm not sure it's going to be his last season - there's been contract extension talk discussed going back to May/June

Think the only question is if it's a 2-year extension or 3-years

But doesn't sound like he's in a rush nor considering going elsewhere
Yeah fair enough. I wasn't sure what the current goss was around Kolo and I remembered from the QF broadcast someone saying he was on 197 games, which would make a Grand Final berth his 199th... if we made it and if he was selected.

He still has something to offer IMO.

Well if it was to be his last match (which I dont think it will be) then I guess he should get chaired off by the CEO and Brenton Sanderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back