Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoyney on SEN says he ‘will vomit’ if he hears Geelong’s midfield is a weakness. Ranked 1 at clearance differential, hardest team to score against at clearance and top 3 for scoring from clearance since round 16. So since Paddy has come back our midfield is a strength.
Anyone sniffing a pennant?

Hoyney on SEN says he ‘will vomit’ if he hears Geelong’s midfield is a weakness. Ranked 1 at clearance differential, hardest team to score against at clearance and top 3 for scoring from clearance since round 16. So since Paddy has come back our midfield is a strength.
Anyone sniffing a pennant?
Since around round 16 our midfield has become one of the overall best from nearly the worst.

Now that has coincided with Danger back Stewart into the middle and others back from injury as well.

Last edited:

Since around round 16 our midfield has become on of the overall best from nearly the worst.

Now that has coincided with Danger back Stewart into the middle and others back from injury as well.
QF was a masterclass from Danger with fantastic support from Atkins/Bruhn and Bowes as the mids.
Stanley going AOK.
Mannagh doing a bit of MF time as well with Stengle/Dempsey/ Close and Miers excelling between the arcs.
Lot to like..........

I’m flying to Europe at 12:00pm on Saturday 28th September. 4 months ago when I booked it, I thought that we might make finals but a GF was a step too far. And I’m an eternal optimist with the Cats!!!
God knows how I’ll cope if we get into the “big dance”!
I’ll have subscribe to some AFL international viewing service for an exorbitant amount of money , and watch when I arrive in London…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.watchafl.com.au

Get the weekly subscrition and you can watch online or on phone

GO Catters

Last time we played Hawks, Sicily and Ginnivan missed- major outs.
If we get to play them again, it'll be the GF, which in itself will be great efforts for both teams.
Hawks seem to have this incredible spirit, belief and momentum at present; would LOVE to beat them in a GF, but it'll be hugely nerve-wracking

2008 PTSD vibes here..

2008 PTSD vibes here..
Genuinely a Hawthorn flag is the only way this season feels like a bad one. Even losing a prelim or grand final when we thought we were no chance would be manageable. But those pricks coming through when they were supposed to be bottom 4 would be vomit inducing

I’m flying to Europe at 12:00pm on Saturday 28th September. 4 months ago when I booked it, I thought that we might make finals but a GF was a step too far. And I’m an eternal optimist with the Cats!!!
God knows how I’ll cope if we get into the “big dance”!
I’ll have subscribe to some AFL international viewing service for an exorbitant amount of money , and watch when I arrive in London…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch on the plane.

Genuinely a Hawthorn flag is the only way this season feels like a bad one. Even losing a prelim or grand final when we thought we were no chance would be manageable. But those pricks coming through when they were supposed to be bottom 4 would be vomit inducing
Cat man Whateley has an editorial today on Hawthorn’s continued success or as it’s titled ‘hawthorn’s historical dominance.’
Good luck to them. Obviously not against the cats, but winning is winning.

As good as they've been - and I'm a big Mitchell fan - a premiership has to be a step too far, doesn't it?

It sounds weird, but I could see them beating Port, and even knocking off Sydney, but playing in a Grand Final after back-to-back interstate trips and the emotional ride they've been on just has to take its toll.

Full credit to them, it would be one of the great premierships if they can pull it off.

As good as they've been - and I'm a big Mitchell fan - a premiership has to be a step too far, doesn't it?

It sounds weird, but I could see them beating Port, and even knocking off Sydney, but playing in a Grand Final after back-to-back interstate trips and the emotional ride they've been on just has to take its toll.

Full credit to them, it would be one of the great premierships if they can pull it off.

They weren't meant to be ready to win one in 2008 either

They weren't meant to be ready to win one in 2008 either
That's literally got nothing to do what I said.

The point was they're playing back-to-back interstate finals to make a GF, on top of the final they've already played.

It's not about being too young, or not being ready, it's just the sheer mental and physical toll that's going to take.

If they can get through that, and win this year's flag they deserve all the plaudits they get. It would be a mighty effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have agreed with that before the Port Ade final

That final Geelong has played sensational skilled football , an absolute masterclass and with speed , one of the best exhibitions in Geelongs entire history , that is how good it was , on the back of that i would love Geelong to win this years Premiership

The 3 best exhibitions of pure class football by Geelong

(1) 2007 Qual final v Nth Melb

(2) 2024 Qual final v Pt Ade

(3) Round 18 v Nth Melb at MCG 1993- Cats won by 94 pts i attended it - another master class - just exhilarating stuff from go to wo

I like what he said about tactics too. How Scotty created 'layers', and the WCE coaching team had no idea how he did it. Would love to have gotten more insight into that. However, as usual, CS didnt talk about the second part and instead gave credit to the development coaches for the first part. And then the conversation moved on.

In Australian Rules Football coaching jargon, the term "layers" typically refers to the different levels or stages of defensive or offensive setups and strategies. When coaches talk about "layers," they are often discussing how a team structures its play to manage opponents effectively.

For example, in a defensive context, "layers" might describe how a team sets up its defensive zones or how players are positioned in different lines or tiers (e.g., backline, midfield, forward line) to manage the opposing team's attack. Each layer represents a different level of defensive pressure or support, designed to contain or disrupt the opposition's play at various stages.

Similarly, in an offensive context, "layers" might refer to how a team structures its attacking movements, with different players or units operating at various depths or positions to create opportunities and break down the opponent's defense.

Overall, "layers" is a way of describing the complexity and organization of a team's approach to both offense and defense.

Thanks to Chat GPT

I would have agreed with that before the Port Ade final

That final Geelong has played sensational skilled football , an absolute masterclass and with speed , one of the best exhibitions in Geelongs entire history , that is how good it was , on the back of that i would love Geelong to win this years Premiership

The 3 best exhibitions of pure class football by Geelong

(1) 2007 Qual final v Nth Melb

(2) 2024 Qual final v Pt Ade

(3) Round 18 v Nth Melb at MCG 1993- Cats won by 94 pts i attended it - another master class - just exhilarating stuff from go to wo
Yeah attended your No.3 also. Ablett Snr 10.6 on Micky including his 100th. The Master!

This year has been huge beyond what I thought possible and our young brigade is so promising now!
Yes, Cats youngsters improve quickly
They have the raw talent to begin with
They train and compete along side stars
They have excellent mentoring available
Players are professional and self motivating
Players have pride and work on improving
Cats game is inclusive very team oriented
No easy games. Opponents always go hard
Pressure to perform is shared not blamed
Basically :-
They are immersed in a successful culture

What do Cats do in the week off?