What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

We can beat anyone on our day but so can a few other teams. The idea is to finish as high on the ladder as you can and if you can't get Top 4 at least get a home final. Then have a reasonably clear injury list and find good form.

Who knows what Hawthorn or anyone else will be like by then. The could've fallen apart. This year there's no team I fear except ourselves and our inability to produce our best on a given day for whatever reason. We don't need any more injuries from hereon in for a start . Especially to key players.

Team looked out on their legs in the 2nd half.

Hard to see us not dropping at least 1 game
Live at the ground I actually thought we looked in pretty good shape... And you know my schtick well enough to know if I don't think that's the case I call it out.

Yes there was maybe a bit of panic at stages in the last quarter but I don't think that was down to work rate. Guys were still fronting up for each other.

Maybe what you were seeing on TV was the ease at which the Suns were able to transition the ball from one end to the other. 15 inside 50s for the quarter would reflect this.

But many of those times we looked in pretty good shape behind the ball, AND the midfield cavalry got back quickly to lend support as well. We only conceded 4 shots from those 15 entries which I think reflects this.

Having said that I think an 8 day break will be better for us now than another 6 day break! Both games have certainly been pretty physical, and I guess we need to expect another one next Sunday.

Last edited:
Percentage is absolutely on the table again. Currently our lead over Freo is the equivalent of about 6 goals. Spread over the 10 games (combined) both teams have remaining, it's bugger all.

Whether it determines 3rd/4th or 5th/6th is probably neither here nor there. However if it determines 2nd/3rd or 4th/5th it could have a massive bearing on the outcome of our season.

A premiership could be decided on the back of an ill-timed trip to Perth. So the manner of our performances is going to become just as important as the win or loss column.

Can we show the necessary resilience to battle on in the face of near certain defeat? Can we put the foot to the floor if we're good enough to have an opponent well beaten at 3 quarter time?

The answers to these questions may influence our September fate nearly as much as "can we get the 4 points?" over the next 5 weeks .
Came here to pre-empt the Round 24 schedule. Freo are fixtured to play Port in Perth, so I can't see a world where that is NOT the last game of the regular season, with what is likely to be at stake for both teams.

This means that, provided we are both on the same number of points by then, Fremantle will know exactly what they need to do to pass us or stay ahead of us on percentage.

I'm sure most of us recall what a massive advantage this was for us back in 2021.

This being the case, I think we should be lobbying the AFL fiercely to play Brisbane v Essendon at 6pm on the Sunday night, or whenever the last game is. I don't think it's likely to get much traction but I think we at least have to try.

Then, as a bargaining measure, ie "well you didn't give us this, at least have the decency to give us this, somewhat inferior alternative", we request both matches be played at the same time, thus advantaging neither team.

I know the club's public rhetoric will be "we just need to keep focusing on our own performance and the rest will take care of itself" which I get and it needs to be that. But behind the scenes this is where Swann/Daly/Wellington need to come to the party for us.

Fortunately neither Freo or Port are a big club, and certainly not a big Victorian club, so that is at least something in our favour at AFL House.

After last night's games, our percentage advantage over Freo has shrunk, but only slightly. Assuming games where there's an "average" level of scoring, I put it at around 32 points. So still nothing in it really with 4 games remaining.

Seems legit that Freo gets to play a beaten up Essendon next week, while we get to play the team who beat them up 🤷🤦

Last edited:
Live at the ground I actually thought we looked in pretty good shape... And you know my schtick well enough to know if I don't think that's the case I call it out.

Yes there was maybe a bit of panic at stages in the last quarter but I don't think that was down to work rate. Guys were still fronting up for each other.

Maybe what you were seeing on TV was the ease at which the Suns were able to transition the ball from one end to the other. 15 inside 50s for the quarter would reflect this.

But many of those times we looked in pretty good shape behind the ball, AND the midfield cavalry got back quickly to lend support as well. We only conceded 4 shots from those 15 entries which I think reflects this.

Having said that I think an 8 day break will be better for us now than another 6 day break! Both games have certainly been pretty physical, and I guess we need to expect another one next Sunday.

It was more our inability to move the ball. Shifted Ah Chee and Oscar up the ground/behind the ball. Chipped sideways and backwards because we weren't rushing forward and providing options. No run and carry. Hack kicks from stoppages instead of linking up.

Think it was a clear change in gameplan in the 2nd half to go more defensive until the Suns gave up midway through the last

dayne zorko all australian captain

Came here to pre-empt the Round 24 schedule. Freo are fixtured to play Port in Perth, so I can't see a world where that is NOT the last game of the regular season, with what is likely to be at stake for both teams.
I thought the AFL likes to schedule meaningful games on the Friday and Saturday nights (with the bonus of big Melbourne clubs, which is obviously a tick against this game) but failing that the Saturday arvo games are the remainder - Sunday is reversed for meaningless ones.

I know the NFL does the schedule like you describe (most meaningful gets held to last) but in general the AFL serves up a load of tripe on the last day.

I thought the AFL likes to schedule meaningful games on the Friday and Saturday nights (with the bonus of big Melbourne clubs, which is obviously a tick against this game) but failing that the Saturday arvo games are the remainder - Sunday is reversed for meaningless ones.

I know the NFL does the schedule like you describe (most meaningful gets held to last) but in general the AFL serves up a load of tripe on the last day.
That certainly was not the case last season:
Screenshot_20240728_092943_AFL.jpg

Or in 2022:
Screenshot_20240728_092958_AFL.jpg

2021 you are correct, but that season there was no week off before the finals, with the AFL trying to get ahead of COVID etc.

So I'm expecting we will see a pretty stacked "Super Sunday", with any meaningless matches pulled back to the Saturday.

I think we finish 2nd. Blues have a draw that's probably on par with ours. Fremantle have a tough last few weeks in comparison. Besides Sydney, I think the Dogs are the ones to watch and I will absolutely hate to have them in a final. They can score fast and chucking Lobb down back has absolutely been an instrumental move that will propel them deep into finals IMO. He has been playing VERY well and the team is starting to gel - at times they look out of sorts but other times they look completely dominant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was more our inability to move the ball. Shifted Ah Chee and Oscar up the ground/behind the ball. Chipped sideways and backwards because we weren't rushing forward and providing options. No run and carry. Hack kicks from stoppages instead of linking up.

Think it was a clear change in gameplan in the 2nd half to go more defensive until the Suns gave up midway through the last
It wasn’t an inability it was a choice as you said yourself.
One thing that I have really like about our last 8 weeks in particular is the ability to be able to win in different ways.
We did change the way we moved the ball but I believe it was to help support the depleted backline and to minimize turnover in the back half but we still showed the ability to score.

I think we finish 2nd. Blues have a draw that's probably on par with ours. Fremantle have a tough last few weeks in comparison. Besides Sydney, I think the Dogs are the ones to watch and I will absolutely hate to have them in a final. They can score fast and chucking Lobb down back has absolutely been an instrumental move that will propel them deep into finals IMO. He has been playing VERY well and the team is starting to gel - at times they look out of sorts but other times they look completely dominant.
If the Hawks make it to finals, they will be dangerous too I reckon. They could be the first team to win from 8th...

On SM-N976B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The ladder is so tight a loss or two will have a big impact on final positions.
We are winning ugly so i can hope for top 4 but top 6 more likely i recon.
The old one week at a time very appropriate.
Beat the Saints away and one step closer to top 4

My daughter booked accommodation for the GF yesterday. Airfares not booked yet.

How long ago does this feel?

On SM-N976B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Listening to that again today, well the criticism that fagan has pets, sticks with the same group, doesn't drop players and bring in more energetic players seem to have been proven.

Because fagan has moved away from that model, through injury mostly, and has blooded new players and dropped players (albeit those new players) because of form and it has rejuvenated the team.

Older players are now playing with more energy, young players are pushing hard to hold their positions.

We still think some players are out of form, but we also don't know the full story. Like Morris the other night. Didn't look great until you realise he stopped ballard from his intercept game. So there will always be a few players we want dropped but don't get.

This means that, provided we are both on the same number of points by then, Fremantle will know exactly what they need to do to pass us or stay ahead of us on percentage.

I'm sure most of us recall what a massive advantage this was for us back in 2021.

This being the case, I think we should be lobbying the AFL fiercely to play Brisbane v Essendon at 6pm on the Sunday night, or whenever the last game is. I don't think it's likely to get much traction but I think we at least have to try.

Then, as a bargaining measure, ie "well you didn't give us this, at least have the decency to give us this, somewhat inferior alternative", we request both matches be played at the same time, thus advantaging neither team.

I know the club's public rhetoric will be "we just need to keep focusing on our own performance and the rest will take care of itself" which I get and it needs to be that. But behind the scenes this is where Swann/Daly/Wellington need to come to the party for us.

Fortunately neither Freo or Port are a big club, and certainly not a big Victorian club, so that is at least something in our favour at AFL House.

After last night's games, our percentage advantage over Freo has shrunk, but only slightly. Assuming games where there's an "average" level of scoring, I put it at around 32 points. So still nothing in it really with 4 games remaining.

Seems legit that Freo gets to play a beaten up Essendon next week, while we get to play the team who beat them up 🤷🤦

Interesting point - although I think there's a very good chance Freo drop either the Geelong or GWS match in the interim, so it will likely end up being something of a moot point. They've had a really impressive season, but I'm not sure I buy it yet. They'd be a bit of a dream home qualifying final match-up - similar to Port last year.

The ladder is so tight a loss or two will have a big impact on final positions.
We are winning ugly so i can hope for top 4 but top 6 more likely i recon.
The old one week at a time very appropriate.
Beat the Saints away and one step closer to top 4

My daughter booked accommodation for the GF yesterday. Airfares not booked yet.
So the lid is on but the lid is off?

Interesting point - although I think there's a very good chance Freo drop either the Geelong or GWS match in the interim, so it will likely end up being something of a moot point. They've had a really impressive season, but I'm not sure I buy it yet. They'd be a bit of a dream home qualifying final match-up - similar to Port last year.
I think (a) they would be a very tough finals opponent, wherever the game is, and (b) yes those matches may be tough for Freo, but we also have some tough fixtures of our own coming up.

Certainly wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back