What does Andrew Symonds need to do to cement a Test spot beyond the 2007/08 summer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he batted pretty well today, it seemed like a very difficult wicket to bat on but he was going along quite nicely. I'm in favour of keeping him in the Test team for a long while, besides who's going to replace him?

Anyone who says Hodge go sit in the corner and stay there. (I'm a Hodge fan but in no way, shape or form should he ever replace Symonds)

Pretty poor shot by Roy today, but he had plenty of mates that played worse shots. To be fair though Kumble's contribution to the dismissal has been underplayed... beautiful slider out the front of his hand, a bit quicker and skidded on so Roy couldn't get the elevation he desired.

He has developed into an integral part of the side over the past 12 months... doubt the selectors will drop him any time in the near future.

So it begins again...

The bloke is averaging 138 for the summer so far and was the 3rd highest run scorer in the team today.

Yep, let's drop him.
His average is inflated from not outs and those innings were played under zero pressure.

I don't think Symonds should be dropped, but he is the only member of the top 7 with any question mark next to his name. That will be the case until he shows he can perform when coming in at 4/200 rather than 4/400.

Re: What does Andrew Symonds need to do to cement a Test spot beyond the 2007/08 summer?

stay alive, other than that he's fine

Symonds' brief in the second innings of the First Test against India should suit him. Australia already have a lead of 320. They just need to hammer it home and push that lead up towards 500. A quickfire 70 is exactly what is required, and Symonds is entirely capable of delivering that.

Symonds' brief in the second innings of the First Test against India should suit him.

Lived a charmed life... eventually gone for a quickfire 44.

Footwork today was horrible, definitely stuggled with the ball swinging around. Don't think his feet actually moved when he was bowled of Zaheer's noball.

35 and a 44 on a tough batting track should have been enough for this test match. Probably should have gone on and made a couple of 50's though.

I would say he will probably play at least the next two tests. Still needs a century an/ or a couple of 50's to cement himself

Roy still making runs on a shocking pitch. :thumbsu: Now up to 182 runs for the summer at 91.

The most popular man in the dressingroom and the most marketable player in the test side is secure for a while yet.

Much to the disgust of a few jealous and bitter types on here. :)
Most marketable is Brett Lee.

Ray Charles can see that.

Clarke close 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Symonds is plastered everywhere at the moment.

No doubt about it, companies want the most popular man in Australian cricket.

Yep. Only had to hear the ovation going out to bat. Very popular man.

Roy still making runs on a shocking pitch. :thumbsu: Now up to 182 runs for the summer at 91.

The most popular man in the dressingroom and the most marketable player in the test side is secure for a while yet.

The fact that he comes in when we're 4/380 and about to declare, obviously means his average will be higher because he has less chance of getting out.

You must be kidding if you think he's more marketable than Clarke and Lee. QLD bias at it's strongest:rolleyes:

His popularity and marketability are irrelevant. Picking the best side matters more than selling SUVs and fried chicken.

At the moment, Symonds is the only member of the top 7 with a question mark hovering over his spot. Pointing to his inflated average is erroneous. He's played one quality innings since being recalled against England. He's flayed some attacks when the pressure is off, but hasn't really delivered when coming in under tougher circumstances.

I'm certainly not saying that he should be dropped. But his place is far less secure than the other guys' around him.

The fact that he comes in when we're 4/380 and about to declare, obviously means his average will be higher because he has less chance of getting out.
Wah, wah, wah. What do you want him to do? Get out?

People do know how averages are calculated don't they? A quarter of Hussey's innings have been not-outs.

When he starts to actually fail, we can question his place in the team. The fact is the rest of the boys love having Symo in the team and his form suggests he holds his place. He didn't get his mum to complain to the paper - he just put his head down and scored runs (whether in the domestic comp or in the ODIs).

It's pretty funny really knowing Roy is safe for this series at least, and to see how popular he is around the country. Then you get the middle-aged, bitter and twisted fuddy duddys on here who gnash their teeth and shout out expletives whenever his name is mentioned. :)

His popularity and marketability are irrelevant. Winning is what matters, not selling cars and fried chicken.
I didn't say it was relevant. I used the point as a description rather than a selling point for his continued inclusion in the team.

But on the topic, if you think winning is what matters, Roy will be safe for a long, long, time. I get the feeling though winning is irrelevant if Symonds suddenly isn't performing his role any more.

I'm certainly not saying that he should be dropped. But his place is far less secure than the other guys' around him.
You mean like Punter, Clarke, Hussey?

Well hold the phone!! You don't say?

It's pretty funny really knowing Roy is safe for this series at least, and to see how popular he is around the country. Then you get the middle-aged, bitter and twisted fuddy duddys on here who gnash their teeth and shout out expletives whenever his name is mentioned. :)
Why do people keep mentioning his popularity?

He could be the best bloke in the world and it wouldn't count for shit unless he scores enough runs.

I agree that he is safe for this series, but if he misses out a few times, the pressure will be right back on.

His popularity and marketability are irrelevant. Winning is what matters, not selling cars and fried chicken.
Exactly, as long as the team keeps winning his spot will be very safe. Team success and marketability saved Brett Lee's arse in test cricket for many years... at least this year Brett is actually earning his spot, having actually grown a brain.

At the moment, Symonds is the only member of the top 7 with a question mark hovering over his spot.

Only in your mind is there a question mark over his spot.

But on the topic, if you think winning is what matters, Roy will be safe for a long, long, time. I get the feeling though winning is irrelevant if Symonds suddenly isn't performing his role any more.
I don't know what the last sentence means.

I take your point about not changing a winning side, but we should be picking our best XI. Symonds hasn't cemented his spot in that side.

You mean like Punter, Clarke, Hussey?

Well hold the phone!!
And Jaques, who has just come into the side, but is already far more secure than Symonds.

And Clarke was only recalled a few Tests before Symonds. He's now locked in, while Symonds isn't.

Exactly, as long as the team keeps winning his spot will be very safe. Team success and marketability saved Brett Lee's arse in test cricket for many years... at least this year Brett is actually earning his spot, having actually grown a brain.
Brett Lee spent 18 months out of the Test side because he wasn't performing.

Even when we're winning, we should be picking our best side. I don't think it's a given that Symonds is in that side.

Only in your mind is there a question mark over his spot.
That's a nothing comment.

He's got a Test average of 33, so you can't say he's cemented a spot.

You might find Gunnar quickly edited that point because he knows that is not true.
What's not true?

Winning is a pretty important part of sport, don't you think?

But I did clarify my comment - we should be picking our best side, even when we're winning Tests. I don't think that's a controversial suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back