Autopsy What have you liked, learnt and hated from Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 - 8 wins total, def 1 finalist (Ess) % of 85.

2015 - 7 wins total, def 2 finalists (Rich, WB) % of 77

If anything you may have gone backwards...

Yes, you are better than you were under Neeld but you are still only just getting back to where you were 5 years ago and you're not there yet. Exactly as I said.

When Bailey left you brought in one of the top rated assistants in the AFL. A guy that a coaching legend in Mick Malthouse vouched for. You then went backwards at a rate of knots. Now when Roos leaves next year you will again be bringing in one of the top rated assistants in Simon Goodwin. A guy that a coaching legend in Paul Roos vouches for.

Can you really say, with ANY confidence, that you will be better off? Will Goodwin play the same style? Favour the same players? Want the same structures? Continue the same development pathways? He might do what Nathan Buckley has done and blow the list up to rebuild it the way he wants.

It's not about the talent on the park, there are plenty of good players there just as there were in 2011, but let's not pretend like Paul Roos has been a miracle worker here and that you are a million miles better off than you were back then because your not.

How many of Malthouse's assistants were any good though? I mean Neeld was, statistically, one of the worst coaches in VFL/AFL history, all Goodwin has to do is be even a mediocre coach and he has Neeld covered.

Plus, while Neeld was a terrible coach, he started from a fairly poor position, the club had just lost by 31 goals late in the 2011 season. The list was also rubbish, during Neeld's regime the midfield was basically built from Nathan Jones and fumes. I don't know whether Bailey's Melbourne is better than Roos' Melbourne (no 31 goal thumpings though), but I'm pretty sure Goodwin's Melbourne would be better than Neeld's Melbourne. I repeat, Neeld was, statistically, one of the worst coaches in VFL/AFL history. Even Jade Rawlings has a better coaching record at AFL level.

Liked

The Crows gutting it out to the very end. Mentally they improved a lot compared to their disaster 2014 season. I felt like quitting supporting my team that I have supported since 1991 when I was in Adelaide. After a mid season tragedy when Phil Walsh got killed in a horrible way they battled it out winning 6 of their last 9 games to make the finals. Adelaide had some bad games but were usually able to bounce back. But can they finally win a final in Melbourne? ... The Bulldogs vs Adelaide EF is a game between two fairly unsuccessful teams who have both had some tragic finals exits in recent years. Someone will end up losing so their is a lot writing on it .... should be an electrifying shootout.
West Coast Eagles, I think they can go all the way.
Western Bulldogs beating Sydney at the SCG! .... What a game!
Richmond beating Fremantle at Subiaco Oval.
The Giants continual improvement, 11-11 this season. But probably another 2 years before they make the 8.

Disliked

Free to air TV coverage in VIC/TAS, too much Melbourne and Carlton and too many bad Friday night games. But I'll be watching the entire finals series.
Carlton, Gold coast = horror seasons.
Essendon = rock bottom and under-performed badly after playing finals last year, at least they finished the season off with a nice win against Collingwood.

Liked
Hogan. Monster.
The return of the ruckman - a few years ago they were dead in the water, now you've got 4 genuine A-grade rucks (Naitanui, Jacobs, Goldstein, Mumford) plus a whole host of quality at the next level (Sandi, Lobbe, Ryder, Martin, Gawn).
The St Kilda surprise.
The Bulldogs.
#weflyasone
The Coaches' Box on SEN on Friday nights - unbelievable radio, just superb.

Learnt
For some reason, the AFL community seems to not understand just how bad the Dees of 2013 were, and how thankful many of their supporters are to see wins...and how, as a result, we don't give a flying **** how they actually look.
Essendon are a basketcase, but the media are absolutely willing to give them a free pass.
Collingwood are very, very close to cracking the whole season right open.

Hated
Carlton on Friday nights.
The focus on the 'shit' games of footy - there have always been shit games of footy, but in the 80s and 90s they weren't on TV.
The injuries at the Suns and Giants.
The lack of Roos in the media beyond AFL360.

Yes, you are better than you were under Neeld but you are still only just getting back to where you were 5 years ago and you're not there yet. Exactly as I said.

When Bailey left you brought in one of the top rated assistants in the AFL. A guy that a coaching legend in Mick Malthouse vouched for. You then went backwards at a rate of knots. Now when Roos leaves next year you will again be bringing in one of the top rated assistants in Simon Goodwin. A guy that a coaching legend in Paul Roos vouches for.

Can you really say, with ANY confidence, that you will be better off? Will Goodwin play the same style? Favour the same players? Want the same structures? Continue the same development pathways? He might do what Nathan Buckley has done and blow the list up to rebuild it the way he wants.

It's not about the talent on the park, there are plenty of good players there just as there were in 2011, but let's not pretend like Paul Roos has been a miracle worker here and that you are a million miles better off than you were back then because your not.
You should move the goal posts to the year before Roos took over. Picking their best season out of a decade isn't a good standard to measure from.

No where in my post did I say Roos was a miracle worker, nor did I say we were a million miles better than we were.

You're correct in saying it's not just about the talent on the park, that it's still without a doubt, the biggest thing to on field success. The coach can only do so much, and under Bailey we played better than what we had. That 2011 team was never going to be able to take that next step to be in finals contention, our current one can. To suggest that 2011 team is even close to this 2015 team is ridiculous.

We have an established coach right now who has cut and cut and cut the deadwood away, with still more to go. We will be in a much better position than at the end of 2011. No more 186 point losses to the Cats, no more 142 point losses to Essendon.

I'll say this, I have 100% confidence once Paul Roos leaves as coach we will not be as bad as we were from 2011 - 2013. To even suggest there is no change from then to now is insane.

And also nice of you to pick the one year we did okay in and act like 2012 to before Roos took over counts for nothing. He's certainly improved us from 2 years ago.

Liked:
Saints battling hard all season
Everyone squirming when they got called out for being racist
The rise of the Bulldog

Disliked
Round 23
Essendope saga continues for another year
The TV deal. Still no streaming option inside of Australia. Still not FTA HD. Seriously get with the times.

Liked:
Bulldogs - just wow!
Saints showing signs
Adelaide making finals after year from hell

Learnt:
Essendrug saga will last for years
The whole world thinks Australians are racist

Hated:
Incredible TV exposure dished out to 'so-called' big clubs (for fu*ksake! people want to watch great football fullstop)
Knee recos

Liked: The turn around off the western bulldogs and the fast paced playing style Luke Beveridge has them playing

Hated: The Adam Goodes saga. I believe it was blown way out of proportion by the media and by Adam Goodes himself

Learnt: Just how much the Brisbane lions are struggling to stay afloat and to become competitive in the AFL.
The many game styles of the hawks

Liked:
Saints battling hard all season
Everyone squirming when they got called out for being racist
The rise of the Bulldog

Disliked
Round 23
Essendope saga continues for another year
The TV deal. Still no streaming option inside of Australia. Still not FTA HD. Seriously get with the times.

Is AFL Live Pass not a streaming option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked
Hard wicks Resurrection.
Loved
Hirds crucifixion.
Leant
AFL has no religion, no principles, and is now headed up by a spiritless amoral gawky looking fellow, rather than a short podgy miserable despot.
Hated
Some of my posts in May requesting my club sack it's coach.

Liked:

* The WA teams having an exceptional year. The Victorian teams can't keep dominating the top 8 every year...it's not good for the health of the game nationally
* West Coast, Adelaide and the Bulldogs returning to the top 8
* Geelong missing the top 8. I don't have anything against them or their supporters, it's just i had gotten so tired of seeing them in the finals 10 years straight, other teams deserve an opportunity
* The slight improvements made by Melbourne. It's so surreal seeing them beat teams like Geelong

Disliked:

* 3 teams (Hawks, Dockers, Swans) have been in the top 4 since 2013...boring
* Hawthorn's silver Power Ranger abomination, AKA The worst AFL guernsey since West Coast's Ochre
* An average score of just 86, which makes it one of the lowest scoring seasons ever
* Lions ditching the competent "Paddlepop Lion" icon on their jumpers in favor of that old amateur looking Lion sketch
* The various off-field tragedies

Learnt:

* Geelong and Collingwood are the league's biggest flat track bullies
* Port Adelaide will go down as one of the best teams to ever miss the top 8

Liked - The doggies. So glad they finally made Murphy Captain. Deserves a final or 2. They been a joy to watch.
Learnt - I kind of already knew - but sometimes you just gotta stick fat with your decisions. Hardwick might just be on the verge of repaying the faith.
Hated - The sanctimony of so many fans and pundits who judge everything on the slo mo replay without any feel for the moment and the pressure within the game.
Also hated the dearth of good Friday night footy to watch. Along with the continued absence of GOOD FRIDAY footy.

Dislike from 2015
No 1. the rules still need changing, in some instances, we all, including players umpires spectators and commentators sometimes don't know what a penalty is for .
No 2. 50 metre penalties are given too often for too little things, not the extra whack after a mark that's OK , but the petty things, and no umpire discretion.
No 3. There is no consistency in the umpiring.
No 4. The round 23 was a farce. The integrity of the AFL is in question.Level playing fields do not exist.
No 5. The terrible inconsistency of the MRP regarding sling tackles and the umpires who either scream blue murder over them or ignore them.
(I saw it happen several weeks ago one sling tackle nothing from the umpire another one same game report, another one different game no report.)
No 6. I learnt from 2015 that expansion is wrong, and will down the track damage our game and opur traditional clubs, anywhere.
No 7. The game is not representing what every day down to earth long term fans of football expect from the game, its changed , TOO MUCH!
No 8. Scrums in our game, and ball up after ball up have changed the AFL so much that now , what is Australian rules football and AFL football... is different.
No 9, Corporatisation of the AFL has turned it into a to a money spinning TV rights cash machine for the elite , is killing the way the general public can access the game. I could not afford a GF ticket, that's a fact , I wonder how many others would be in the same boat, and the corporate lackies have many tickets to give away in packages and rip offs that leave average people totally out of the web!

Like from 2015
No 1. I think banning the sub and cutting rotations might just do the trick to bring the game back to a more recognisable Australian rules football sport.
No 2. I love the game still, but if it is crucified much more, I will not follow it.
No 3. I hope people start seeing what is being done to the game , but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel, if not the game as we know it will be dead.
I can't begin to tell you how much I hate the fact that you can do something despicable that is reportable and get 50 m and then something minor such as accidentally go over the mark or back chat ump and get the same penalty!!
Does my freakin head in!!

The season the Blues had to have.

Need to improve injury list once and for all and improve quality of playing depth.

Learnt:

* Geelong and Collingwood are the league's biggest flat track bullies

Rubbish.

Flat track bullies don't lose to 1st (Fremantle by 7 points), 3rd (Hawthorn by 10 points), 4th (Sydney by 11 points), 5th (Richmond by 5 points), 6th (Bulldogs by 18 points) by close margins. They get flogged in those games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy What have you liked, learnt and hated from Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back