What I Like About Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Zahki

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's been a bit of sour grapes on this board about the loss, a lot of vitriol directed at the Cats, some warranted, some not. I wanted to change tack for a moment and say what I like about the Cats, a trait I'd love our players to take on. The Geelong players hate to lose, and I don't mean like players from other clubs, obviously they all love to win and hate to lose but Geelong really, really hate to lose, and they take it personally when they do. They take pride in their performances and their record and any loss is a thorn in their side they can't ignore til they wipe the floor with the next hapless mob they meet. In 2010 Geelong lost 5 times. The week after these losses they had 5 wins, with an average winning margin of 80 points, the most striking of those wins being the 101 point demolition of the dogs the week after they copped us.

After their loss in the prelim I guarantee this game would have been circled on the Calandar since the fixture was released. A game against a side they've lost to last time around isn't just another 4 points to them, it's a chance to set things right, that kind of pride in their record and performances is a key part of what has made them a very good side over a long period of time, look at their infamous pact to never lose to the Hawks. The GF loss stung them like no other and even though they've challenged by Hawthorn ever since they've always found that little bit extra to get up over the top.

At the start of this year a lot were predicting that Geelong would slide, no Ablett, a year older, less hunger. How wrong they were, Geelong look hungrier than ever, success hasn't dulled their edge it's made it stronger. How I'd love Collingwood in 2014 to look as hungry as the Geelong unit does now.

I think if our players want to look at an example of a club that has handled itself well during a period of success they could do worse than take a page out of Geelongs book, they love being the best, and they'll do their damnest to stay up there as long as they possibly can. If our guys hate losing as much as Geelongs do, well, we'll find that out next week. No doubt they were looking on with envy while Geelong reached the top of the mountain in 07 and 09, now we're the ones on top while everyone else struggles to catch up, the only question remains, how badly do we want to be there and for how long?

I agree with alot of that zahki

But seriously which team enjoys losing and doesn't love winning?

Geelong is no different to any other sude in that aspect just more talented then most.

True but they can walk the walk with the talk. Some sides at the end of the day can cop a loss believing they got done in by a better side, Geelong don't believe there are any better sides out there, that kind of arrogance or swagger gives them a little bit of extra motivation to get out there and smash sides just so everyone knows who the boss is.

It's been a long journey to get to the top, I'd like to think the players take a fair amount of pride in being the best team in the league, and I think letting one slip against a big rival would sting that pride just a bit, and if they're thinking they want to get out there and remind everyone how bloody good they are then thats the same killer instinct that took Geelong a long way and will for us too.

I agree, they do really really hate to lose more then everyone else and they allways have a habbit of coming back in last quters when they are down. i really love that about them, we could really still learn alot from them that could make us an even better side.

Perhaps less of our players should be getting kicked out of the Barkley and being put into cabs by security for being too drunk. I think our lack of pride is more to do with a drinking culture supported mainly by our top players at the club.

Perhaps less of our players should be getting kicked out of the Barkley and being put into cabs by security for being too drunk. I think our lack of pride is more to do with a drinking culture supported mainly by our top players at the club.
Yeah I don't think you can afford to be getting drunk at all during the season at the top level of footy, or the pre-season either for that matter.
Absolutely no more than 2 drinks a day, preferably no more than one drink.

I'm not sure but I think most clubs in other football codes at the top level do not allow drinking at all, eg soccer and yank football. And marijuana is even worse, messes up your aerobic capacity, stamina and coordination and fogs the brain. I hope players don't do that either.

It's a great "wake-up call" for us. I hope that Geelong are favourite for the flag now, As were Essendon back in 1990.

Then "BANG" we win the premiership again.... hehehe :eek:

Just dreaming again :rolleyes:

I agree, they do really really hate to lose more then everyone else and they allways have a habbit of coming back in last quters when they are down. i really love that about them, we could really still learn alot from them that could make us an even better side.
That's the scary bit! You are some unit now - Fri nite aside. We ambushed you and won't get another chance like that in the near future.
We are proud of our boys, but that spirit wasn't always so. They've forged a new culture and Malthouse knows exactly what he is doing with your list.
Another scary bit.
Best wishes, guys.

Good sentiments but the win at all costs attitude should probably start with a coach. Not sure that players determination isn't influenced by puzzling selections and experimenting with the number of interchanges (Mick's own words today on SEN) during such an important game.

Yeah, I'm mad.

If you want a positive thread after bagging the shit out of some of their players acting performances on friday night and the encouragement they received, then I will concede them this. No club has done more for the recognition of premature male pattern baldness than Geelong in recent times, no rugs just stocky blokes with domes proudly presented. Kudos to them.

Good sentiments but the win at all costs attitude should probably start with a coach. Not sure that players determination isn't influenced by puzzling selections and experimenting with the number of interchanges (Mick's own words today on SEN) during such an important game.

Yeah, I'm mad.

maybe i was right the other week when i suggested that thus far this season in periods we've tried to lose somewhat :p

I would share in your anger, if it wasnt so early in the season and we had a full strength squad to pick from.

On Geelong, what i like about them is the way they go about their football. They attack and play with class and flair and take the game on which is magnificent to watch.

They should have won by 5 goals on the weekend, they played us off the park and i look forward to our next clash

What did I miss??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's close to the surf coast.
X 2.:)

Well actually it's the gateway to the surf coast, whenever I hit Geelong, I know I'm not too far away from the best surf strip in this state.:thumbsu:

And when I leave I smile, because I really don't want to stay too long.;)

As for the football team, yeah, I admire the club, and the players, but I wish them no luck, I wish them no success this season, because they are our main competitor, and it is very likely that come October 1st this year, they will be the one thing standing between us and something we haven't achieved in 75 years, back to back flags.

But seriously which team enjoys losing and doesn't love winning?
Port Adelaide? :p

What I like about Geelong is that they're attacking and are primarily responsible for the death of flooding.

What I like about Geelong is that they've done it honestly and professionally; no inflated - or violated - salary caps, no cannibalising another club, no imported prestige coach (indeed, the present coach will probably turn out to be better than their last), and without tanking for years. The Lions were a top team for four years but Geelong are coming into their fifth. Probably all-up a better team. Truly worthy adversaries!

the way they have moved on from the loss of coach and ablett, deserves respect.

I noted after the essendon game, out positioning our mids at the drop of the ball by sheer muscle seemed like a focus. Couldn't believe the dons had the cattle to test us in this regard.

Geelong have the bodies to do it and showed it on Friday. The next meeting will be interesting.

Guys, I read the title of this thread and had to double check I was actually on the Collingwood board.

The "never say die" self belief is alive at Geelong this year, thanks to a new coach and a desire to prove the "experts" wrong. I envy Collingwood, though, because we are at the tail end, while you are at the beginning / middle of your reign. I hope it is a Collingwood v Cats GF, something that could never have happened in 07, 09 and 10.

Edited for accuracy. Sorry but I'm not buying that. You start to sound like St Kilda when you go down that road.

Agreed, we were lucky not to get rolled!
Such an amazing club to keep finding that bit extra.
Lets hope for both clubs at the pointy end with good form and no injuries. A proper battle of the titans.

X 2.:)

Well actually it's the gateway to the surf coast, whenever I hit Geelong, I know I'm not too far away from the best surf strip in this state.:thumbsu:

And when I leave I smile, because I really don't want to stay too long.;)

As for the football team, yeah, I admire the club, and the players, but I wish them no luck, I wish them no success this season, because they are our main competitor, and it is very likely that come October 1st this year, they will be the one thing standing between us and something we haven't achieved in 75 years, back to back flags.

Come live down here mate, great area.
But hard being surrounded by Geelong supporters for the last 4 years:cool:

Well said mate, they're a quality outfit. It's no surprise why they've been at their level for so long now. I sure hope to read a post like this on another board about our team in a few seasons time

Remove this Banner Ad

What I Like About Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back