What is a reasonable trade for Burgoyne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not sure if PSD picks can be traded.. But if so, wouldn't it be worthwhile for the hawks to trade picks with either Richmond or Melbourne. Trade pick 9 from national draft for Melbourne's pick 18 from national draft and pick 1 from psd giving Melbourne 3 in the top 10 of National draft and Hawks pick up Gibbo or Burgoyne before anyone has a chance. It's a bit underhanded but if it gets tough it's in the best interests of either Richmond or Melb, and certainly the Hawkers. :thumbsu:

No they can't be.

If he slipped through to the PSD, he's going to Melbourne.

I only glanced through the thread and didn't seem to see anybody point out that Schoenmakers couldn't be traded because he's a first year player, it was my understanding that those taken in the 2008 National Draft can't be traded during trade week in 2009.

Correct me if I'm wrong by the way although it didn't really matter as it was shot down anyway, just thought I'd point it out.

You are right and the mention of trading Schoe was just plain stupid.

Much as I'd hate to see it happen, I'd have thought Port would do well with Kennedy - he is a very tough, inside midfielder that basically took over Mitchell's role late in the season for us, digging the ball out of the bottom of packs and taking plenty of punishment.

Seems to me he'd be a handy addition to Port's midfield, feeding the ball out to Pearce (if he stays) etc, but from what the Port blokes are saying here it sounds like Pearce maybe on his way out as well...

Thorp/Dowler with Pick 9 seems the most likely trade to me, but the history between Pelchen/Clarkson and Port/Williams will make this a very interesting trade to watch - will Port try and make a statement here, or were they burnt by the Stevens non-trade?

P.S. I'm sure 1st year players can be traded, just need to get it cleared by the AFL, which opens up a few other options like Shiels but definitely not Shoenmakers I would have thought.

That would be a big NO

For all the hubbub about BigFooty Hawthorn supporters being numpties, this thread really is a pleasant surprise. Cheers...

Personally, if it were up to me, I would probably take pick 9 and Dowler.

Thorp didn't sit well with Williams at draft camp apparently so I am not sure if we would still be interested.

He would be a plus to any team,but do we really need him?

Concentrate on defence and the ruck I say.

We must keep pick 9 for one of the above or use it ourselves and hope a Martin or Rohan slip through to us.

He would be a plus to any team,but do we really need him?

Concentrate on defence and the ruck I say.

We must keep pick 9 for one of the above or use it ourselves and hope a Martin or Rohan slip through to us.
Martin and Rohan could both turn into Dale Thomas / Aaron Fiora. Burgoyne IS a gun. He apparently wants to come to Hawthorn. He's worth a lot more than what we'd get for pick 9.

M. Rucci on KB's show said Burgoyne to Hawks for pick 9. Deal done. Probably crap, but all I think is required. Why give up pick 9 AND a KPP for Burgoyne? Ludicrous!

Burgoyne + Pick 24
for Ellis + Pick 9

We can then on trade one of either 24 or 25 plus a sweetener in a deal involving Gibson.

Lewis and Ellis are probably of similar value. My preference would be to keep Lewis tbh.

Gives them a 10 year midfielder who can play the flanks, drafted at No. 3 only 4 seasons ago, with loads of potential.

We lose a player who can be covered, albeit not as well, by the developing Shiels, Savage, Kennedy or Whitecross, in order to gain a player that would overall make us a more balanced side.

Picks 9 and 24 are traded in order to balance out the discrepancy in status vs potential.

As good as Ellis is and will be, as long as Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell and Lewis are on the list, he will neither be untradable or irreplacable in my eyes.

Burgoyne + Pick 24
for Ellis + Pick 9

We can then on trade one of either 24 or 25 plus a sweetener in a deal involving Gibson.

Lewis and Ellis are probably of similar value. My preference would be to keep Lewis tbh.

Gives them a 10 year midfielder who can play the flanks, drafted at No. 3 only 4 seasons ago, with loads of potential.

We lose a player who can be covered, albeit not as well, by the developing Shiels, Savage, Kennedy or Whitecross, in order to gain a player that would overall make us a more balanced side.

Picks 9 and 24 are traded in order to balance out the discrepancy in status vs potential.

As good as Ellis is and will be, as long as Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell and Lewis are on the list, he will neither be untradable or irreplacable in my eyes.

I dont think Ellis brings anything to the table that Port are crying out for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, guys.
I respect that Shaun Burgoyne is a gun who can tear games apart. The thought of giving up a Schoey or Shiels just chills and kills me. I am not sure that over the term we would be far in front by trading Dowler either.

I would happily part with the pick 9.
But where is our urgent need for KPD sitting in all of this.:confused::eek:

Pick 9 and Thorp i reckon. Thats 2 talented young players right there. Theyll get more output from that then we will from Burgoyne. They also get a young forward to work with.
:thumbsu:to this..Id work this scenario also. Make the most out of our'premiership window'while it lasts. While they are vastly different propects Burgoyne and Dew both come with ready-made skills and the knowledge and experience only premiership players could give. We took quite a risk with Dewey and look how that panned out for us! I see Burgoyne playing for a good two or three years in a reinvigorated,fresh environment if he can sort the injury. I believe you may see the guy back to near his best if he was able to escape the dramas at Port.
As for Port the clean-out is well and truly on and you would think that propects are the way to go for them so while we've not seen much of Thorp at the top level the guys gotta have something that they could see useful and pick 9 out of the best available youngsters in the country should be handy even given the shallow draft?

Hopefully Pick 9 will be enough, but I don't think Port will be quite happy with just that unless they want to take a full rebuild.

I really don't want to lose Dowler or Thorp, but I can't see anyone else of value that they would want to take.

9 For Burgoyne
25 For Gibson
Clubs are keen to get picks this year and if Port or North want to be stubborn then they will get nothing for them. If a deal cant be reached with that then throw in one of Morton/Tuck/Moss and as a last resort Dowler. Wouldnt trade Thorp along with one of those picks becuase even though im not his biggest fan Thorpe and pick 9 is too much to give away for Burgoyne who is out of contract anyway. DO NOT even think about trading Shoenmakers as he is the long term answer to our biggest problem our backline and Ladson should not be traded either as his footskills and decision making are something that we lacked this season.

9 For Burgoyne
25 For Gibson

Would be happy with that.

North Fans still want pick 9 for Gibson though. We might have to try and do a deal with Melbourne for pick 2 and on trade that for Gibson ;)

We all know pick 2 this draft is worth pick 30 in other ones.

First up I don't believe this rumour.

Secondly, nobody and nothing because I don't think it will happen.

Thirdly, why would you want somebody who has a lot of problems with injury?
Great then it will happen & it's true... why would we want a GUN A Grade Midfielder go figure maybe it will make us a better side??

Would be happy with that.

North Fans still want pick 9 for Gibson though. We might have to try and do a deal with Melbourne for pick 2 and on trade that for Gibson ;)

We all know pick 2 this draft is worth pick 30 in other ones.
Hehehe, perhaps we could just swap Buddy and Gibson. Both athletic all-year-round-tanned players who have probably shared the honors when playing on each other.

Dowler. Wouldnt trade Thorp .

why? he has done SFA since day one.....Dowler has played and showed more than him, his body is a train wreck and has an attitude of a veteran that has won a Coleman, 3 B&F, Norm Smith and Captained a flag...personally I say **** him off...just my opinion :thumbsu:

Now that Burgoyne is on the market, I get a feeling that their expectations have been lowered slightly and brought in line with reality.

I don't like our chances landing any of them, but at least it is manageable.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is a reasonable trade for Burgoyne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back