What is the best GF for all parties involved (AFL, the State of Victoria etc.)?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mean on an entertainment level as that is dependent on year to year. I want it from an economic point of view.

In all reality. There's only 2 legitimate options with their own seperate arguements.

1) Sydney vs Brisbane - It's going to sell out anyway and Victoria, SA and WA are going to watch it every day of the week. But this will get the most part time viewers from the Rugby states to watch the game, leading to the highest ratings and in turn, a larger tv deal at the next negotiations. The extra money would then be pumped into the game improving the game at all levels.

2) Sydney vs Adelaide/Port Adelaide - You're still getting the best from Sydney with the tv ratings being pumped up by the part time Sydney fans. But you get all the travelling fans from Adelaide driving over. Giving an economic boost to all the towns along the Western Highway. It's only a small economic boost to the country towns. But it's something.

So, what matchup do you believe is best for all involved?

I think Sydney-Adelaide/Port Adelaide short term, just, but Sydney-Brisbane long term easily.

You think the best Grand Final for the state of Victoria involves matches with no Victorian teams?

I'm missing the punchline aren't I?

No, you're missing the point.
The point is on the economical side of things.
Would Victoria be better off with the norm. Or is Victoria better off with a minor pilgramige pumping in money from an extra 40-45,000 travelling members to watch their team play.
You have extra money going into cafes, eateries, pubs, clubs, hotels, everything that wouldn't be going in there if it was say Essendon vs Carlton.

I could spend $100 on fuel filling up in Horhsam each way. There's an extra $200 out of me Horsham wouldn't have received. Get 10,000 Crows or Power fans doing the same and there's $2,000,000 dollars there the state just gained. I could spend $250 on a city hotel. 35,000 extra people coming down for the gf and you could have $8,750,000 pumped into the economy there. 40,000 people having lunch at $15 a head. An extra $600,000. Then add another $600,000 for lunch on Sunday, and breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. That's another $1,800,000. You'd have 20,000 travelling supporters going crazy partying winning the premiership adding an extra $100 there. That's another $2,000,000. You can have an extra 15,000 people paying airport transfers. I see that could be $30 round trip on the bus. There's another $450,000. You could have 5,000 hiring cars. There's another $250 (3 day hire). That's $1,250,000 more.

Just using conservative amounts there's an extra $16,850,000 pumped into the economy that wouldn't have arrived into the state if it was Essendon vs Carlton. Then there's the extra spending on shopping after the Grand Final parade. People doing other stuff such as the zoo as they havn't been.

What's better for Victoria.
An ego boost as the locals get in an arguement?
Or a visable influx of money via the tourists coming from interstate?

The only people that would benefit from a Sydney v Port Adelaide GF would be Bunnings. Buggered if I'd watch that.

1) Sydney vs Brisbane - It's going to sell out anyway and Victoria, SA and WA are going to watch it every day of the week. But this will get the most part time viewers from the Rugby states to watch the game, leading to the highest ratings and in turn, a larger tv deal at the next negotiations. The extra money would then be pumped into the game improving the game at all levels.
A honcho a C7 was on SEN with KB this morning. He said Sydney/Brisbane would draw the highest ratings for a GF, if it occurred.

In the early 00's Lions fans came in huge numbers, very few for one night, they were visible thru Grand Final week & well into the following week.
Same in 2005/6 where WA fans were very visible for a week & Swans fans were equal in number for a day or two less.
Certainly a huge economic benefit for Melbourne.

Interesting article on the subject:
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...m-over-footys-big-weekend-20121003-26ybx.html

A honcho a C7 was on SEN with KB this morning. He said Sydney/Brisbane would draw the highest ratings for a GF, if it occurred.
Yep, argued that all the traditional AFL states are committed to watching and that Sydney and Brisbane people would watch to see their states teams!

In the early 00's Lions fans came in huge numbers, very few for one night, they were visible thru Grand Final week & well into the following week.
Same in 2005/6 where WA fans were very visible for a week & Swans fans were equal in number for a day or two less.
Certainly a huge economic benefit for Melbourne.

Interesting article on the subject:
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...m-over-footys-big-weekend-20121003-26ybx.html

How many of those were ex Fitzroy fans though?

Personally I think Sydney Vs Collingwood.

Collingwood Vs Carlton would do well. But like you said Swans & Lion would do well in ratings.

Fremantle vs St Kilda or the Bulldogs or Richmond.

Why? Because BF would crash the entire internet forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the best GF for all parties involved (AFL, the State of Victoria etc.)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back