What is the biggest Adv. Re the "Fixture"

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL Collingwood's fixture is not comparable to Geelong's situation, Collingwood also play home games at their home ground (MCG) against shit sides too. It seriously sounds like you are saying its unfair that Geelong play home games at their home ground because of their home ground advantage? It's actually unfair that they aren't able to play their home finals at their home ground.

LOL Collingwood's fixture is not comparable to Geelong's situation, Collingwood also play home games at their home ground (MCG) against shit sides too. It seriously sounds like you are saying its unfair that Geelong play home games at their home ground because of their home ground advantage? It's actually unfair that they aren't able to play their home finals at their home ground.

If a finals match were to be played at Kardinia Park , it would be a 'clean' stadium.

Geelong would make very little money from it , as the AFL allocates all finals tickets.

A Geelong v Collingwood , Carlton , Hawthorn , Essendon or St Kilda finals match played at KP would see less Geelong supporters actually being able to see their team play in that final than are able to in a H/A game meaning more opposition supporters would get a ticket.

A lot of "neutrals" complain that Collingwood get a cushy draw b/c every club demands to play them on the MCG. So be it. These neutrals complain that the AFL pander to Collingwood's fixture requests, again, no issue with that.

What surprises me that Geelong obviously do not demand to play the powerhouses of the AFL, such as Collingwood, Hawthorn & St. Kilda at KP. They use the old, we make more money at the MCG excuse. Fair enough. If people are so pent up about Collingwood always getting their fixture requests then why don't they focus on Geelong being handed a cushy draw against also rans at KP?

You just made that highlighted bit up. Who has used that excuse?

If the AFL would let them, Geelong would play all 11 home games at Geelong. They make a lot more money there than playing in Melbourne.

How is it fair that Geelong have to play four home games at their opponents home ground and don't get a home final?

Last time I looked Geelong wasn't part of Melbourne.

Not this shit again, we had the exact same thread 2-3 weeks ago.

As has already been said we play the LOWER DRAWING SIDES at Skilled because the AFL decide it must be so. Doesn't matter if they are at the top or bottom of the ladder we are only going to play the interstate teams and Victorian teams like Melbourne at home.
We would love to play our 11 home games at home, especially since we rake in the dough playing down here.

To be fair it would be unrealistic for IQs to rise significantly in that short a space of time

It's a good thing you didn't make this thread in the mid 2000's when Port, WC and Sydney were winning flags and the likes of Adelaide and Melbourne were regularly playing finals

Where was this thread six years ago, when we lost to Fremantle and Melbourne at Skilled? Or five years ago, when we lost back to back games at Skilled against Richmond and West Coast? Or even in 2007, when we lost to two top 4 sides in North Melbourne and Port Adelaide at Skilled?

Funny how it only becomes an issue when we're a good side.

Can we get some responses ot these posts, Collingwood supporters?

A lot of "neutrals" complain that Collingwood get a cushy draw b/c every club demands to play them on the MCG. So be it. These neutrals complain that the AFL pander to Collingwood's fixture requests, again, no issue with that.

What surprises me that Geelong obviously do not demand to play the powerhouses of the AFL, such as Collingwood, Hawthorn & St. Kilda at KP. They use the old, we make more money at the MCG excuse. Fair enough. If people are so pent up about Collingwood always getting their fixture requests then why don't they focus on Geelong being handed a cushy draw against also rans at KP?

It's clear you have no knowledge of the situation at all. Geelong do not make more money from home games at the MCG.

If, as someone has said, playing at KP is a 5 goal advantage, why wouldn't we want to ply the better teams at KP?

Your thread is ill considered and ignorant. It makes no sense.

Having a suburban ground in the AFL in 2011 is the biggest inequity in the draw and must be the priority for the AFL if it wants to be seen as a modern football code, otherwise it looks like a backwater throw back to the 60's where this ground belongs.

Having a suburban ground in the AFL in 2011 is the biggest inequity in the draw and must be the priority for the AFL if it wants to be seen as a modern football code, otherwise it looks like a backwater throw back to the 60's where this ground belongs.

What part of Geelong not being a suburb of Melbourne do you not understand?

What part of Geelong not being a suburb of Melbourne do you not understand?

As there is more urban sprawl & transport infrastructure, the idea that Geelong isn't a suburb of Melbourne is kind of irrelevant. It takes 50 minutes on the freeway to get to Geelong, a large % of people who live in Geelong also work in Melbourne, etc, etc.

I don't really have an issue with Geelong & it's home ground. It services the western region of Victoria to a degree but as there become more & more Geelong supporters who live & work in Melbourne (I'd say there is already a large base of their membership base in Melbourne), what was relevant in the 60's & 70's for Geelong having football in Geelong isn't so much now.

Other clubs were forced out of their grounds b/c of ground rationalization. Did it matter that Essendon supporters didn't live in Essendon & near Windy Hill? Of course it didn't, most of it's support is allover Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand the point of this thread.

Geelong plays teams that they would beat anywhere at home but when they are playing teams like Pies, Hawks, Blues, Saints, Dogs and they can use a home ground advantage it is played at a neutral (at best) venue.

Where's the benefit in that?

You know people are clutching at straws when they're actively arguing for further modernisation/bastardisation of the league when they normally claim Demetriou and co. make too many changes.

Geelong won't be on top forever and the "unfair! they have a home ground!" claims will die out with a whimper when Geelong eventually drop down the ladder. Kinda like how we no longer get threads about Ablett's "cheap" one-two possessions or "whinging" to umpires now that he's playing for a bottom side. People are annoyed by success.

A lot of "neutrals" complain that Collingwood get a cushy draw b/c every club demands to play them on the MCG. So be it.

I know you aren't the only one who says it, but do you, or anyone else, actually know this?

You are wrong when it comes to Geelong's request - the AFL could play Geelong v Collingwood at Skilled, and still fill Geelong's request - so it makes me wonder if it's the same with other clubs?

"While we have received a fixture that is generally sound, our remaining point of contention is that for the second year in a row, the club has been given only seven home games at Skilled Stadium instead of the requested eight,'' Geelong acting CEO Rob Threlfall said yesterday.

"The club understands the difficult position the AFL has with the sheer volume of requests it receives, however, on our list of requests, our highest priority was for 11 home games to be broken down to a minimum of eight at Skilled Stadium and the balance at the MCG against Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, St Kilda or Hawthorn.

"We will continue to work with all stakeholders to secure a return to a minimum of eight games at our home ground Skilled Stadium.''

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/10/30/222241_gfc.html

I don't really have an issue with Geelong & it's home ground. It services the western region of Victoria to a degree but as there become more & more Geelong supporters who live & work in Melbourne (I'd say there is already a large base of their membership base in Melbourne), what was relevant in the 60's & 70's for Geelong having football in Geelong isn't so much now.

Other clubs were forced out of their grounds b/c of ground rationalization. Did it matter that Essendon supporters didn't live in Essendon & near Windy Hill? Of course it didn't, most of it's support is allover Melbourne.

I live in Melbourne. Geelong is in Geelong. If Geelong played eleven home games at Kardinia Park, it's up to me to get off my arse and watch them. Geelong is upgrading its ground so that it can be comparable to the current capacity of the SCG, Subiaco and the Gabba. Geelong is its own city and always will be. It will never be absorbed by Melbourne. If you can't recognise the difference from Geelong being forced to move out of a perfectly functional 35,000 seat stadium (which would probably be a best case scenario for fixtures against the teams they currently play against at Kardinia Park, if the matches were moved to Melbourne) and Essendon moving out of Windy Hill (capacity?) to allow (I imagine) anywhere between 2-4 times as many of its supporters to get in to watch the game (depending on the opposition), I don't know what to tell you.

I want to know how 10th, 11th and 12th this year is bottom four, and 10th and 11th last year.
It's just circumstance that the teams Geelong play at skilled are down near the bottom at the moment. A few years ago when interstate sides were all up near the top they still would have played them at Kardinia.

AFL has outgrown these surburban grounds, it's not 1974 anymore. Why they allow this ground to still be in existence is beyond me. Just a joke. It should be a training base.
All Victorian games should be exclusively at the 'G or Etihad 2011 style.

You do realise we are not a suburban club we are based in the city of Geelong. This is why we play our home games against lower drawing clubs at KP

As there is more urban sprawl & transport infrastructure, the idea that Geelong isn't a suburb of Melbourne is kind of irrelevant. It takes 50 minutes on the freeway to get to Geelong, a large % of people who live in Geelong also work in Melbourne, etc, etc.

It takes 60mins on the plane to get to Adelaide so is Adelaide a suburb of Melbourne as well???

A lot of people make a big song & dance about Collingwood's i/s fixturing, so be it.

In the last 2 years, Geelong have been drawn against...

Port (currently 17th in 2011) x 2 (10th in 2010).
WC (16th in 10').
Richmond (15th in 10').
Melbourne (currently 11th in 2011) x 2 (12th in 2010).
North Melbourne (currently 10th in 2011) x 2 (11th in 2010).
Brisbane (13th in 2010).
GC (currently 15th in 2011)
Adelaide (currently 14th in 2011).
WB (currently 12th in 2011).

That is 12 games (or half a season) against effectively bottom 4 sides at KP.

In the same time, the highest ranked side to play at KP was Sydney, who finished 6th in 2010 & are sitting 7th position this year. So out of 14 games at KP, 2 have only been against 1 side that finished in the 8 that year.

A lot of people complain that Collingwood demand their fixture to play less games i/s & play as many games at the MCG, so be it. Is Collingwood's 13 games at the MCG each year a big of an adv. as Geelong's soft fixturing at KP?

The whole draw is a joke.. Everyone needs to play everyone twice to make it fair.. The NAB cup should be canned and the season proper be extended, then just have a top 4 or 5 play off. There should be no reward for teams who finish middle of the table (8th) rewarding an average finish is stupid.

So now they should play their home games in Melbourne to suit some Melbourne-based Geelong supporters?

Get your story straight champ, you're just scrabbling here.

Geelong this year have had to play the top four opposition teams at our oppositions home grounds, the two top opposition teams twice at their home grounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the biggest Adv. Re the "Fixture"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back