What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs Carlton 2018.... Wet slippery night with nothing worth of note at all until the very last minute when Menegola kicked a good goal. Score was 11.7.73 to 5.15.45.

I think I remember that one, Alex Silvagni kept Buddy to one goal?
Rd18 2011 was the only game Silvagni in Freo colours played Franklin in Hawthorn colours (well and the final in 2010, but he was not on Franklin then). And he kept him to 3 behinds. Probably our only win that day...

He started coming into his own in the back end of that year and was good for us in the first 2 finals, particularly the prelim.
He was sub in the prelim as well. And had an impact. Probably was a never change a winning team thing. Still most from memory most people including me were on the Subcliff train.

As sad as it is to say, this years grand final is up there. Stopped watching half way through the third quarter. Didn't see any medal presentation or handover of the cup. It honestly felt like grand final day never happened. Can't believe we have to wait a year to make up for it.

Saints v Swans game some years back. After a particular goal to the Swans, D. Cometti said "Sorry Saints fans, a goal is good for footy" or something like it. Two dour defensive teams out-defending each other.

Yes, this was the game that introduced flooding. Cant recall who was Saints coach at the time but he thought Saints were no chance so basically played a 12 man backline. Absolute shocker even though memory is it was a draw at 56 a piece.

There was a game when Plough was in charge at the Tiges and we were truly shit, and having a bad season. Adelaide were flying. Plough concocted this keepy offy game and we somehow beat the Crows.

Happy for the win but a terrible, terrible game of footy.

Apropos of the recent Grand Final.......

The Richmond-GWS game at the MCG in 2015 was a stinker. Cold, damp and miserable. Exactly 2 entertaining players worth watching on the field - Cameron and Riewoldt. Trouble was the ball hardly got down there.

I took a NSW mate to his first game of AFL - by the 2nd quarter he was saying 'Can we go and watch the Storm, or even just do anything else?'. And I really had no comeback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Richmond almost take 200 marks that day.

Yeah, we did - 181. Still a record (Go Tiges!). But you have to look at it in context. At that time there was a league-wide trend of 'Keepings off'. If you look at the records for 'Most marks in a game, you see the years 2006-2008 dominate. It was the style back then. Wallace just took it a bit further. (And interestingly, Richmond still took 13 contested marks - the 2nd most against Adelaide for the whole year - and Adelaide took 5 - their worst result).

Interestingly, in Rd 2 in 2019, Collingwood convincingly thumped Richmond, and played the 'keepings off' - recording the highest marks total in a game for several years. The experts decided that Collingwood had 'discovered the tactic to defeating Richmond' (assuming you haven't got a 7-Foot yank playing the game of his life).

Obviously, other sides gave this a go, and Richmond had significantly the highest 'Marks Against' for the year. Swings and Roundabouts.

But, yeah - it is hard to watch. The Collingwood game (173 marks) was torture.

GWS had at least 4 games this year that were awful. Their 2 games vs hawthorn, their game vs bulldogs late in the season and obviously the grand final. It's like they just shut down when things don't go their way and start playing like they did in their first year in the comp.

Another game I remember as being awful was the 2007 semi hawks vs North. However this might stick out in my memory because a) the Richmond station guy began singing the north song over the intercom and b) they beat us by 5 goals in between copping two 80+ point thrashings themselves

Another was the hawks Essendon game in 2001. We had won 7 or 8 on a trot and I was psyched up, nervous but confident to see how we measured up to the yardstick of the competition. We never fired a shot and went down by 65 points or so. We did make up for it in the prelim, which was a very frustrating game but you couldn't call it a bad display from either side.

There was a game when Plough was in charge at the Tiges and we were truly s**t, and having a bad season. Adelaide were flying. Plough concocted this keepy offy game and we somehow beat the Crows.

Happy for the win but a terrible, terrible game of footy.
I literally posted this game in the first post bro

Yes, this was the game that introduced flooding. Cant recall who was Saints coach at the time but he thought Saints were no chance so basically played a 12 man backline. Absolute shocker even though memory is it was a draw at 56 a piece.
Grant Thomas was the coach. Appalling game. Was watching it at home, just put my baby to sleep, and woke her up yelling in frustration when Wulf hit the post. Not a happy night.

I literally posted this game in the first post bro
Cool, just jumped in. 7 pages, ****ed if I'm reading every post, just thought I'd smash my own club. Glad you agree, because I had to sit through it.

Friday night game around 15 years ago North vs Adelaide @ Footy Park

Perfect night

Neither team managed 50pts
Was that Craig's second game in charge after the record loss to the Lions?

If so that's one way to not get smashed again....

Easily the most laughable game.

Richmond v St Kilda 2016. Both teams were absolutely terrible and even the commentators were saying it was a terrible game during it. Only bright spot was Dan Rioli showed he would be a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back