What is the worst team in AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a very big possibility, as we know, that GWS will become the first team to lose 22 matches in a season, with a ratshit percentage, but you do get the feeling that they will not be the worst team ever to set foot on a footy field regardless...I try to imagine them playing 1996 Fitzroy, 1981 Melbourne and Footscray, Freo in 2001, Sydney in 1992-93, a few others in our lifetimes, and I'm sure they'd take a few of these teams down. I'm not even going to bother including ancient seasons, because of the obvious light year difference in style and standard - put them in a time machine and send them back to 1897, and they would have won the first VFL premiership undefeated...!

It's a team full of very well coached kids...I recall seeing a Brisbane supporter in 2006 at the Heritage round game with his dilapidated Bears jumper, the felt triangle having peeled off years before...this guy was there when they were rubbish, and was also there when they won the threepeat...it took them until their 9th season to look like a competitive side...I really don't think today's GWS fans will have that wretched a start, and if you're one of the minute band of supporters today, it's worth hanging onto your memorabilia, because they will be competitive before the novelty truly wears off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back