What is the worst team in AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who says anything other than Fitzroy in '96 isn't old enough to remember it.

Those poor, poor bastards and the 5k or so staunch people who were showing up at Western Oval.

Hung out to dry by Ross "my legacy" Oakley.

Sydney in 93 until Barassi took over were also woefully ordinary.

96 was a horror year for the roys.

Agree with everyone saying Fitzroy in 1996. The worst on the field (probably the only team I've genuinely felt sorry for) and obviously it would have been terrible behind the scenes as well.

Brisbane 1990 (4 wins, 71%) is missing from the OP. As the oldest wooden spooner, you could make a case to say they were the worst. Fitzroy of 1996 was the youngest AFL wooden spooner after Gold Coast 2011, and similar in age to Gold Coast this season. 12 of its players later played finals at other clubs.

Agree with everyone saying Fitzroy in 1996. The worst on the field (probably the only team I've genuinely felt sorry for) and obviously it would have been terrible behind the scenes as well.

Yes, as I recall, morale was horrible at the Roys - particularly since they harboured hopes of continuing into 1997 ...until it became completely unfeasile, and they realised halfway through the season that it was over.

I remember Mike Sheehan remarking after their terrible loss against Richmond in their second last game, that if that was the only effort they were capable of, then he wouldn't be sorry to see the back of them. But they redeemed themselves (somewhat) against the Dockers in their final game. They lost the game heavily, but Fitzroy actually won the final quarter - the last quarter of footy they ever played.

I always like to think that it wasn't because the Dockers let them.

Fitzroy won just 5 of their last 61 games.

My old man is a Richmond supporter, and he took me along to see Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne in 1996. I was only eight at the time, but even at that age I could sense what a mismatch it was. That remains the only genuinely sad game I have ever been to- I even recall seeing a few Richmond supporters emotional after the game, when the Lions were doing that lap of honour around the MCG.

. That remains the only genuinely sad game I have ever been to- I even recall seeing a few Richmond supporters emotional after the game, when the Lions were doing that lap of honour around the MCG.

The Lions final game of 1996 was scheduled against Fremantle at Subiaco.

When it became apparent half way through the season that they wouldn't make it to 1997, Fitzroy requested that the fixture be swapped with their second last game (against Richmond at the MCG), so that they could play their last ever game in Melbourne in front of their fans.

Richmond agreed. Fremantle agreed. Every other club affected by the swap agreed.

The AFL refused - insisting that the Roys play their last game 3000 kms away from their supporters AND refused to spend a penny to give them any sort of special send off (the Dockers - to their eternal credit - stumped up 10K for an opera singer and a send off to some club legends).

It was pure mean-spritedness by the AFL - even a lot of WA fans were disgusted by it.

The Lions final game of 1996 was scheduled against Fremantle at Subiaco.

When it became apparent half way through the season that they wouldn't make it to 1997, Fitzroy requested that the fixture be swapped with their second last game (against Richmond at the MCG), so that they could play their last ever game in Melbourne in front of their fans.

Richmond agreed. Fremantle agreed. Every other club affected by the swap agreed.

The AFL refused - insisting that the Roys play their last game 3000 kms away from their supporters AND refused to spend a penny to give them any sort of special send off (the Dockers - to their eternal credit - stumped up 10K for an opera singer and a send off to some club legends).

It was pure mean-spritedness by the AFL - even a lot of WA fans were disgusted by it.

I would imagine swapping a game like that might be a little harder than it first appears. Theoretically, nearly every club could concievably be affected. For example, if Richmond v Fitzroy had been switched to Round 22, North v Richmond (which was played in Round 22) would have been switched to Round 21- which then would have meant North v Geelong in Round 21 had to be switched, which then would have meant Geelong v...you get the picture.

Having said that, if every club did agree to it, and the AFL still refused...that is incredibly poor.

And refusing to spend a dime on even giving them a tribute is a total disgrace.

Ross Oakley was a tosser.

Anyone who says anything other than Fitzroy in '96 isn't old enough to remember it.

Those poor, poor bastards and the 5k or so staunch people who were showing up at Western Oval.

Hung out to dry by Ross "my legacy" Oakley.

Sydney in 93 until Barassi took over were also woefully ordinary.

The Roys were the worst. I felt nearly as sorry for the Swans of 93 though. They were pretty bad under Barass too, losing to the 2nd bottom Lions by 160 points but he did eventually turn them around. They were utterly, utterly hopeless in 93 apart from the one win.

There's no doubt the 1996 Roys should take this award. However given the horrific events that were unfolding around the time there's no way the club could maintain on-field competitiveness. Thereby I'd move their nomination for this title be withdrawn. For the sake of current clubs let's hope no entity has to endure the unendurable as Fitzroy did.

For what it's worth Fitzroy weren't always cellar dwellers and I'd encourage readers to explore details of some of the better times.

Darren Holmes played for all five of these teams (Swans in 1992, 1993 & 1994; Fitzroy in 1995 & 1996).

Says a lot when his greatest achievement was catching the 'Plugger' pig.

The Roys were the worst. I felt nearly as sorry for the Swans of 93 though. They were pretty bad under Barass too, losing to the 2nd bottom Lions by 160 points but he did eventually turn them around. They were utterly, utterly hopeless in 93 apart from the one win.

In early '95 I remember having the usual footy banter with mates at school and the default 'I call bullshit' line was "yeah, and the Swans will win the flag next year".

Was pretty damn impressive they got so close so quickly, even allowing for the poaching of Roos and Lockett. That three year period between 92-94 was appalling, imagine the scrutiny that record would attract these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In early '95 I remember having the usual footy banter with mates at school and the default 'I call bullshit' line was "yeah, and the Swans will win the flag next year".

Was pretty damn impressive they got so close so quickly, even allowing for the poaching of Roos and Lockett. That three year period between 92-94 was appalling, imagine the scrutiny that record would attract these days.

I'm too young to remember 92-94 well, but the stats suggest that Sydney were competitive in a decent number of their games in 1994. Their percentage was almost 80, which for a side that only won four games, is not terrible. And for at least the first third of 1992, they were competitive as well.

The really amazing stat, though, is that between Round 9, 1992 and Round 2, 1994, Sydney won just 1 of 37 games. Hard to believe, but true- they lost their last 15 games of 1992, 19 of 20 in 1993, and their first two of 1994.

The only two sides they troubled consistently in those dark years were, weirdly enough, Carlton and Melbourne.

The title for this thread needs to be edited, it reads horribly!

Fitzroy in '96 would have to be the least competitive team in recent memory, but they were fighting with one hand tied behind their back. Sydney in '93 would have given them a run for their money, so to speak.

Partly agree with you tribey. I got to Sydney in mid 1992 and went to all bar 1 home game in the second half of 1992 and the 1993 season and yes they were appalling. Reckon I got to know 2/3rds of those 7,000 to 9,000 people crowd games.

However in 1994 they started showing signs of improvement. Barassi had them for a full preseaon. Paul Kelly blossomed. Derek Kickett, beer gut and all, after being dropped by Sheedy for the 1993 GF after playing every game that year, came and played some freakish footy for the swans. Mark Bayes could beat the best CHF. A young Dale Lewis emerged. Troy Luff came from country NSW to play some good games. Darryn Creswell became a decent player. Minton-Connell kicked 60 or 70 goals. Andrew Dunkley started to be a regular player. Jamie Lawson was a great little player until he broke his leg. Stanford Wheeler - I used to call him Lenny Kravitz debutted and showed a bit. Darren Gaspar was the #1 draft pick in 1993 but only played a few games in 1994 before a full season in 1995. Peter Filandia was a little terrier and Jack Daniels on the wing was a decent contributor without being a star.

They lost 10 games by under 30 pts after being smashed nearly every week in 1993. The ultimate close loss was when they got 50 pts up in the last quarter against St Kilda at the SCG and then Locket went bizerk and kicked 8 goals after that and the Saints won the game by a point. That was the game he nearly killed Caven. That was the first game I really hurt after seeing another swans loss.

I'm too young to remember 92-94 well, but the stats suggest that Sydney were competitive in a decent number of their games in 1994. Their percentage was almost 80, which for a side that only won four games, is not terrible. And for at least the first third of 1992, they were competitive as well.

The really amazing stat, though, is that between Round 9, 1992 and Round 2, 1994, Sydney won just 1 of 37 games. Hard to believe, but true- they lost their last 15 games of 1992, 19 of 20 in 1993, and their first two of 1994.

The only two sides they troubled consistently in those dark years were, weirdly enough, Carlton and Melbourne.
Partly agree with you tribey. I got to Sydney in mid 1992 and went to all bar 1 home game in the second half of 1992 and the 1993 season and yes they were appalling. Reckon I got to know 2/3rds of those 7,000 to 9,000 people crowd games.

However in 1994 they started showing signs of improvement. Barassi had them for a full preseaon. Paul Kelly blossomed. Derek Kickett, beer gut and all, after being dropped by Sheedy for the 1993 GF after playing every game that year, came and played some freakish footy for the swans. Mark Bayes could beat the best CHF. A young Dale Lewis emerged. Troy Luff came from country NSW to play some good games. Darryn Creswell became a decent player. Minton-Connell kicked 60 or 70 goals. Andrew Dunkley started to be a regular player. Jamie Lawson was a great little player until he broke his leg. Sanford Wheeler - I used to call him Lenny Kravitz debutted and showed a bit. Darren Gaspar was the #1 draft pick in 1993 but only played a few games in 1994 before a full season in 1995. Peter Filandia was a little terrier and Jack Daniels on the wing was a decent contributor without being a star.

They lost 10 games by under 30 pts after being smashed nearly every week in 1993. The ultimate close loss was when they got 50 pts up in the last quarter against St Kilda at the SCG and then Locket went bizerk and kicked 8 goals after that and the Saints won the game by a point. That was the game he nearly killed Craven. That was the first game I really hurt after seeing another swans loss.
True that fellas, just looking back at AFL Tables they certainly were on the way back in 1994 despite the W-L column.

REH, you can ring/email him and have a chat about footy and finance!: http://wealthmanagement.ml.com/wm/system/ViewFAPage.aspx?pageurl=sanford_wheeler

Good on him.

True that fellas, just looking back at AFL Tables they certainly were on the way back in 1994 despite the W-L column.

REH, you can ring/email him and have a chat about footy and finance!: http://wealthmanagement.ml.com/wm/system/ViewFAPage.aspx?pageurl=sanford_wheeler

Good on him.

Thanks tribey, for the link and the correct spelling of his first name. Geez he looks nothing like his playing days. I remember watching a Ch 7 piece on him riding a skate board to training and playing the guitar. That's why I called him Lenny Kravitz. A financial planner in Indian Wells Calf - thats the rich part of Palm Springs. Must be doing well for himself.

Reckon I got to know 2/3rds of those 7,000 to 9,000 people crowd games.

Did you know those elderly people who were ALWAYS behind the goal? I've never actually been to the SCG, but whenever Swans matches were broadcast here in WA back then ( bizarrely, channel 7 would always broadcast Sydney matches in the early - mid 90s, despite the fact they were a poor side and had virtually no support in Perth) I would always see a group of older Swans supporters, always dressed in white, holding banners behind the goal

The Roy's, but Oakley can hang his head in shame for that. Just three years earlier they had a strong team that finished only three and a half games off top spot - the sad thing is that every one of those players that got them into that position were forced to leave. Very sad ending.

Having said that, the Roy's were never beaten by as much as 186 or 165 - something Melbourne and Port have been disgraced for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back