Opinion What is your favourite mark of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure because it was a final it was NOT Mark of the Year either. Absolute madness, that's one of the great marks.
100%, extremely underrated mark and they really should have changed the rules and had that as mark of the year, it was a guy from the Dees who won from memory

Liam Ryan's mark over Gawn a couple of years back is underappreciated. Passes it off up around the centre square and then sprints to the goals to take the mark off the kick of the guy he passed it to.

I think my personal favourite Ablett one was in 1985 versus North at Geelong. In the goal square. The one against Collingwood in 1987 at Waverley over Cloke was great as well.

Saw that one live I think - if I'm remembering correctly it was an important stage of the last quarter; one of many games which Ablett genuinely won off his own boot.

My favourite ‘with the flight’ one is actually Bartel’s. And I don’t like Geelong.

Steve johnsons in the flight mark was better then bartels.

No way Seeds; I know you're Steve J's all-time biggest fanboy but Bartel's with-the-Flight-er was superior.

Johnson's had crazy velocity, I'll grant you, but Bartel's had that slow-motion car-crash action that somehow ended up with the dummy prevailing.

Y'know what: 2011 GF, many years later, and I had time, as Bartel sat under a high ball late in the 3Q with an oncoming Chris Tarrant and Tom Hawkins bearing down, to reflect upon the bravery of that mark. Bartel taking that lesser GF mark in 2011 was a given to me, given what I had seen years earlier. One of those rare moments in sport where a fan knew exactly how it would play out.

Last edited:

This one from Hayden Crozier in Under 18s had me so excited when he drafted him later that year.

I was living overseas and watching the '07 semi in an ex-pat pub, nearly hit the roof for this one :eek:

Came here to post Aaron Edwards mark in the 2007 Semi Final, glad to see it's already here.

He jumped over Drew Petrie! He elevated and kept going!

Criminally under-rated mark!

Came here to post Aaron Edwards mark in the 2007 Semi Final, glad to see it's already here.

He jumped over Drew Petrie! He elevated and kept going!

Criminally under-rated mark!

I could put that in my top ten all time quite easily. Top 5 perhaps.

Once you get to a certain level, it's impossible to pick one, and that Edwards mark is most definitely in that category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assume it's been mentioned here already but Gary Moorcroft.

Had this picture of West Perth’s Corry Bewick (brother of Darren) on my wall as a kid.

10219D0D-76C3-4B74-A431-85D960A1A210.jpeg

A speculative first goalkicker windfall for me there. I'm not much of a gambler so that's possibly my second greatest punting story, behind putting a fiver on Brian Lake at 200/1 for the Norm Smith in 2013.
I still hate him. You can thank Ross Lyon for the kick it to Lake strategy. Cost us a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What is your favourite mark of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back