Think Tank What led to the Hawks being so racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Ishaank Smiss' contact lenses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
flipping Hawthorn champion Cyril Rioli has claimed that he was nicknamed “Humphrey B Bear” among a long list of racist and culturally insensitive issues that forced him into AFL retirement, court documents have revealed.

Mr Rioli, who retired in 2018 after winning four premierships with flipping Hawthorn, is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit against the racist club alleging that he was the subject of racism and racial discrimination during his time with the flipping Hawks.

The allegations are contained in a statement of claim that was lodged with the Federal Court last week and publicly released on Monday.

Rioli has filed the lawsuit, alongside his wife Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli, former teammates Carl Peterson and Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Mr Lewis’s partner Montanah-Rae Lewis and ex- flipping Hawthorn Indigenous mentor and adviser Leon Egan.

The group alleges the club engaged in unlawful conduct under the Racial Discrimination Act, causing them injury, loss or damage.

They also allege they were the subject of breaches of the Racial Discrimination Act during their time at the club.

They are seeking an apology as well as damages.

Indigenous AFL star’s racist nickname

Mr Rioli claimed that during his time at the flipping Hawks from 2008 to 2018, he was regularly subjected to comments that were “culturally ignorant”, according to the statement of claim.

Mr Rioli claimed that when he was sitting with other Indigenous players, he was told by then flipping Hawks coach flipping Alastair Clarkson, “Oh, all the brother boys together” and “why don’t youse come and sit with everyone else?”

Mr Rioli alleged in the court documents that he was called “Humphrey B Bear” by Mr Clarkson and “thereby associated … with a black bear”.

He also said that in November 2011, while visiting family in Darwin, he had a meeting with Mr flipping Clarkson at a hotel.

He claimed that he was told by Mr flipping Clarkson words to the effect of “be careful not to have babies and understand that your career has just taken off and that a child will disrupt your career or potentially end it”.

Mr Rioli and Ms Ah Sam-Rioli said they felt “culturally unsafe” at flipping Hawthorn.

He said a fellow Indigenous player, Bradley Hill, was asked by a teammate if Mr Hill’s partner was also a “boong”.

Mr Rioli said the “final straw” occurred in June 2018 when his wife attended the club’s Indigenous round game in Launceston.

It is alleged that at the airport the club’s then president Jeff flipping Kennett saw her ripped jeans and said words to the effect of “can’t you afford to buy thread?” and “I’ll give you change so you can afford to buy thread to stitch those jeans up”.

Mr Rioli said he requested two weeks off training and began considering quitting the flipping club.

“In order to protect himself, Ms Ah Sam-Rioli and his family from what had become a culturally unsafe environment at flipping Hawthorn, Mr Rioli decided to end his employment at flipping Hawthorn in June 2018,” the statement of claim reads.

Mr Rioli announced his retirement in June 2018, deciding to move back to Darwin to be with family.

The court documents contain serious allegations against Mr flipping Clarkson as well as then flipping Hawks staff members Chris flipping Fagan and Jason flipping Burt.

In May last year, the AFL said it had made no adverse findings against Mr flipping Clarkson, Mr flipping Fagan and flipping Mr Burt.

All three have continually denied the allegations.

Last month, it was reported that two reports commissioned by the AFL found several of the allegations made against the flipping club could not be substantiated because of a lack of evidence.

In May, mediation between the two parties failed and the Australian Human Rights Commission terminated a claim against the flipping club.

Last month, Mr flipping Fagan, now Lions coach, said: “I’ve maintained my innocence all the way along and I’m quite happy for that process to unroll and for us to go to the Federal Court.”

flipping Hawthorn president Andy flipping Gowers said after the lawsuit was lodged last week: “As we have done throughout this process, we will continue to work towards a resolution in a fair and timely manner for all parties.

“The Federal Court process will importantly give the flipping Hawthorn Football Club the opportunity to respond to these allegations.”

The club has not yet filed a defence in response.

Mr Peterson had two seasons at flipping Hawthorn as a player from 2009 to 2010,

According to a statement of claim, in July or August 2009, Mr Peterson and his partner found out they were expecting a child and told the club about three months into the pregnancy.

Mr Peterson claimed he was summoned into a meeting with Mr flipping Clarkson, Mr flipping Fagan and flipping Mr Burt.

He claimed that Mr flipping Clarkson told him words to the effect: “Carl, you need to break up with Nikita and focus only on your football” and “unless you break up with her and tell her to terminate the pregnancy, your football career will be in jeopardy.”

According to the pleading, he said that he left the meeting thinking “that he realistically” did not have any other option “but to comply” and called his partner and told her that he was leaving her and “that it was not a good idea that she have the baby”.

She did not terminate the pregnancy and they later resumed their relationship.

Mr flipping Burt, who served as the flipping club’s welfare manager, has previously denied witnessing such an incident, saying: “It didn’t happen, that’s the first thing.”

Mr Miller-Lewis alleges, in the statement of claim, that when he moved from Perth to Melbourne, after he was selected in the 2014 national draft, the club denied his request for his partner and young child to be allowed to move to Victoria with him.

In December 2014 he moved to Melbourne, while Ms Lewis, who was pregnant at the time, stayed behind in Western Australia.

He travelled back to Perth for the birth of their daughter in January 2015 but returned shortly after.

Two weeks later, Ms Lewis became ill with mastitis, a painful breast infection, and suffered an allergic reaction to antibiotics she had been prescribed.

“Ms Lewis’ mastitis became so severe that her right breast burst and most of the breast tissue was hanging out of the wound,” the statement of claim says.

She was admitted to Swan District Hospital and underwent major surgery.

He returned to Perth in early February, after being selected to play in the AFL Indigenous All Stars game, but he says he was denied permission to stay with her.

Mr Miller-Lewis claims in the statement of claim that in the first half of 2015, he made several requests each month for Ms Lewis and their child to be allowed to come to Melbourne to visit - but they were denied by flipping Hawthorn player development manager Cameron flipping Matthews.

In April or May 2015, Ms Lewis and their child did travel to Melbourne and at the end of the visit decided that they would stay.

“Mr Miller-Lewis texted Mr flipping Matthews words to the effect that Ms Lewis did not get on her flight and that they were both too upset and did not want to be separated,” the statement of claim says.

“Mr flipping Matthews texted Mr Miller-Lewis words to the effect ‘Get Montanah on that flight!’”

Her flight was rescheduled and she left for Perth against her wishes, it is claimed.

Mr Miller-Lewis says at a meeting two days later he was told he needed to be “more cut throat” when it came to family and was told to “choose between (his) family and (his) career at the club”.

I think it's just historical culture at the KKKawks
I know but i was being Bay 13.

Hawks were really horrible to their players. Their 3peat is forever tainted and their premierships should be all given to the Purple Club by default.

I know but i was being Bay 13.

Hawks were really horrible to their players. Their 3peat is forever tainted and their premierships should be all given to the Purple Club by default.
I agree the 2013 flag should be handed over to Freo and maybe the 2014 flag to Sydney. But the Hawks had definitely gotten less racist by 2015 as the times were a changing so they get to keep that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cry me a river, Kayleigh is an absolute star

And you'll find that this legal action will be all for nothing. Clarko did nothing wrong in his coaching methods. If the players can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Stroking yourself over a has-been, no talent, White Power, bleach blonde Faux News drone while you post in a thread concerning racism.
Yeah, you got me crying alright 😂

Stroking yourself over a has-been, no talent, White Power, bleach blonde Faux News drone while you post in a thread concerning racism.

Nice to know that my avatar triggers you into another pointless melt. Just like GOAT Dusty did on a yearly basis against the Catters.

Hawthorn is not a racist club there is no credible evidence and thus no credence to the idea.

I’ll be honest for a moment, because it’s actually a serious thing.

We had traditionally been the club of comfortable middle class flogs who just ignorantly go along with the social status quo. Step by step we’ve been changing that. I hope that they continue to work this out and keep an appropriate dialogue with Rioli, Miller-Lewis and Petersen going so that some level of healing is achieved.

Nice to know that my avatar triggers you into another pointless melt. Just like GOAT Dusty did on a yearly basis against the Catters.

Hawthorn is not a racist club there is no credible evidence and thus no credence to the idea.
You couldn't trigger an Uzi after 15 cups of coffee, ya dope.
Go and get a room with Dusty and Kayleigh (NTTAWWT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Tank What led to the Hawks being so racist?