What should be the format of the World Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This format is coming into it's own now that we're getting towards the pointy end. Every game has some meaning.

It shouldn't take three weeks for that to happen. You could've split the teams off into two groups and had the same result, but with the excitement always building instead of stalling and sputtering for most of the tournament so far.

I don't know what was so bad about 2015. 14 teams and 2 groups.
Better than this year, but the groups are still too big IMO.
I do like a 15 team, three group, configuration - but it makes the next stage tricky to work fairly. Four group games seems a good amount. Its not over for the smaller teams before they start, but allows the tournament to progress.

Better than this year, but the groups are still too big IMO.
I do like a 15 team, three group, configuration - but it makes the next stage tricky to work fairly. Four group games seems a good amount. Its not over for the smaller teams before they start, but allows the tournament to progress.
Top two from each into a super six?

Top two from each into a super six?
That would probably be the way it would need to go. And while i don't mind super-six it can lead to dead games itself. At least if it just goes to a knock-out semi-finals. If it was followed by a Page-McIntyre style top four, maybe that would work better, so there is a genuine diference between finishing first and fourth in the super-six.

If there's a super six you probably should do either a straight final or a 2nd vs 3rd playoff for the final. But I think it's a good option in the short term.
A 2nd v 3rd playoff would be OK, but could it lead to more super-six games of no import? Using a top four still eliminates two of the teams but hould have more games with some meaning (on average).
As I said, I don't mind super-six - but it is a long process. Still, it would mean India get eight games if they finish top two - which is all the ICC are counting, not so different from the current nine.

A 2nd v 3rd playoff would be OK, but could it lead to more super-six games of no import? Using a top four still eliminates two of the teams but hould have more games with some meaning (on average).
As I said, I don't mind super-six - but it is a long process. Still, it would mean India get eight games if they finish top two - which is all the ICC are counting, not so different from the current nine.

Super Six to eliminate only two teams makes it fairly meaningless.

Super Six where top 2 get a double chance, 3 and 4 into an elimination final, 5 and 6 straight out means nearly every match should mean something. I think a 15 or 18 team Cup with 3 groups, top two from each group go through to Super Six. Then 1v2, 3v4, semi, final. Should keep things interesting the whole way and also include a good number of sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever the format is, the current countback system is wrong
To think if the ICC boffin/s who decided the countback would be boundaries, had instead decided sixes (across both the initial 50 overs and the super over) was the first countback, we'd have a different world cup winner. And would have potentially become even more farcical trying to work out whether Stokes' overthrow six counts as a six or not for this purpose.

The countback should be previous result between the two teams, then ladder position (obviously if they change the format this will need to change too). Same result in this instance, but a more meaningful metric IMO.

India straight to the final. Everyone else plays off against each other for the right to lose in the final.

Not enough games v India. What you'd have is a round robin where every team plays India once and whoever beats India, then they play off to see who plays India in the final and if a countback is necessary, then it is based on the number of Hindi speakers in the team.

To think if the ICC boffin/s who decided the countback would be boundaries, had instead decided sixes (across both the initial 50 overs and the super over) was the first countback, we'd have a different world cup winner.

Highlights the absurdity of the whole mess.

For 100+ years, how a team scores it's runs has been of no consequence. And it should be of no consequence.

With the World Cup, the format is never the issue. Sure some are better than others and they have their pro's and cons.
For me the main issue (and its been an issue since 2003) is that the World Cup takes too long.
It should be done and dusted in 4 weeks.
No reason why 2 games cannot be played on the same day other than $$$

:thumbsu:I liked the Cut-throat semi-finals and final after the round robin as I felt like the series had gone on for too long. With a supersix, that would make it worse.

Not enough games v India. What you'd have is a round robin where every team plays India once and whoever beats India, then they play off to see who plays India in the final and if a countback is necessary, then it is based on the number of Hindi speakers in the team.

Team that gets to play India in the final is known as Chief B***h. India gets title of Daddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back