Jun 17, 2008
East Falafel Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143436/default.aspx

Vlad says that:

if it had happened and could be substantiated, clubs at fault would pay a heavy penalty.

So what would be appropriate? Taking away draft picks would seem appropriate but would really mess with clubs that are desperate enough to tank.

A massive fine? Premiership points?

Or is it a moot point because the AFL investigation will be a cover up? A clue here is the name of the AFL integrity manager, Brett Clothier. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I don't think it needs to be fixed. If sides like Melbourne and Carlton, who have loaded with high draft picks over periods still aren't guaranteed a flag then I say let them tank. (Not saying that either of these clubs did.)

Loading up on draft picks is far from a shortcut to victory - in my view it does bad things to a club to be down the lower reaches for too long - it's also why I think GC and GWS are going to be average.

The penalty is the shame of finishing low and the frustration of supporters, lower memberships and bad publicity.

I don't think it needs to be fixed. If sides like Melbourne and Carlton, who have loaded with high draft picks over periods still aren't guaranteed a flag then I say let them tank. (Not saying that either of these clubs did.)

Loading up on draft picks is far from a shortcut to victory - in my view it does bad things to a club to be down the lower reaches for too long - it's also why I think GC and GWS are going to be average.

The penalty is the shame of finishing low and the frustration of supporters, lower memberships and bad publicity.

so, no penalty at all?

The penalty for tanking?

None!!!!!!!

Your ONLY job as Senior coach is to win a Premiership the best way you know how
If the AFL makes it obvious that your better rewarded finishing last over second last then you are an idiot if you do not take it

Even a 5 year old could make laws up that would stop this from happening. Simply have lottery system on which set of laws apply each year. Like one year the draw would say the draft is the same as is now, next years draw may say its the last three teams that go in another draw for 1st round picks and so on

So the AFL Coaches have no idea which system will be used at the next AFL draft

Again why should anyone be penalized for the AFL not doing their job right

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143436/default.aspx

Vlad says that:

So what would be appropriate? Taking away draft picks would seem appropriate but would really mess with clubs that are desperate enough to tank.

A massive fine? Premiership points?

Or is it a moot point because the AFL investigation will be a cover up? A clue here is the name of the AFL integrity manager, Brett Clothier. You couldn't make this stuff up.

The AFL created it so they will cover it up. The AFL can not lose face to the betting agency's or the government who allows the betting agency's to make millions of the AFL.

They did it within the rules of the game.

May not be in the spirit of the game, but that's irrelevant.

No punishment

match fixing is treated seriously in most other codes

Tanking is not the same as match fixing.

There shouldn't be punishment. Dees are suffering enough.

But the AFL should ensure that there is minimal incentive to tank. They have started to address this by removing automatic priority picks, but have shot themselves in the foot by linking compensation picks to ladder position.

Lance Franklin and Roughy dropped by and said Hi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes... take all premiership points away for 2013 from any club with a top 5 pick in the last 10 years.

On a serious note. I think its ridiculous Vlad could suggest punishing teams trying to make the most of an incising system the AFL created. The problem is the system, not those trying to make the most of it in a competition!

Clubs have been accused of tanking for for high draft picks and priority picks since the early 2000's and since then the AFL has just denied it ever happens. How can they punish a club for something they created and when it was first mentioned have done barely anything to fix the problem. They better fix it now once and for all or we'll be having these same issues again 10 years from now.

dont know what the fuss is about these teams wouldnt have won games anyway they really didnt need to try to lose they where not good enough to win. All they did was be shit like the already where move on

So then you're saying that match fixing is ok?
wtf?

Where did I say that?

I'm saying if you're going out there as a coach, team or player with the aim to lose then the aim of losing then there's enough shame and risk of job loss, etc which certainly acts as a punishment in my view.

Match Fixing? Where'd that come from?

wtf?

Where did I say that?

I'm saying if you're going out there as a coach, team or player with the aim to lose then the aim of losing then there's enough shame and risk of job loss, etc which certainly acts as a punishment in my view.

Match Fixing? Where'd that come from?

Because match fixing is essentially losing a game on purpose?

Remove this Banner Ad

What should be the penalty for tanking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back