Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

Yep. Imagine it:

Worst year on record, a #1 pick, who' head and shoulders above the rest, that's been hyped for 2 years, that's happy to move west and we throw it away to ensure we get 2 of Tholstrup and Moir....

Nightmare stuff.
Knowing our luck atm we’d draft 2 wa kids who would be awesome but after two years demand to be traded to victoria.

Yeah I’m nervous we do a shitty deal with them, Gary Lyon sounded certain Reid was going to Melbourne if West Coast got pick 1, not that I take what Gary Lyon says too seriously but between that and things I’ve heard, I’m getting worried.

5, 15 and a future 1st for Reid would make me sick.
Dont want to hear about anything Gary Fu-quit-i-bang-my-mates-mrs Lyon has to say.

Gary Lyon’s the sort of guy who’d blow a guy for bus fare and then walk home.

Whatever he says we do the opposite.

Fair enough then.

Definitely wouldn't do say a 5/15/24 which apparently Melbourne can do but there are worse trades in history.

Would you do it for 7/21/30 ?

I know you said you wouldn't do that trade but it's quite likely where those picks roughly end up.

Any picks outside the top 10 will be massively devalued in this draft but Pick 1 doesn't slip lower than 1.

Curtin's game highlights for Claremont v East Perth in the rain where he's in the middle were exceptional. I know it's WAFL colts but he's a class above. One touch, tackling his ass off, winning clearances, stepping around blokes onto his left foot and then hitting targets. Got a bit of the Bont about him, in that the game slows down for him, he's making it look easy. Vs Vic Country he had a similar game. Rare to see a 195cm kid move like that.

If we take Reid, North will bid on Jed Walters at 2, then take Curtin at 3. If we trade down to 2, we should use pick 2 as leverage, cut a deal with Gold Coast to not bid on Walters at 2, saving them 283 points. Then package whatever picks we need to get pick 4 from Gold Coast, but keep our own pick 19. Walk away with picks 2 Curtin, 4 Mckercher and 19.
"i know it's WAFL colts but he's a class above."

He should be a class above Colts. 2 classes.

He should be playing seniors every week. The fact he isn't makes me wonder.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trading away Reid for a bunch of picks reminds me of a slow kid trading his tiny $2 coin for a 3 or 4 big shiny 20c coins.

They're bigger!
They're shinier!
There are more of them!
20 is a bigger number than 2!

It’s pretty hard to find a single person I know who believes West Coast will keep pick1.

Lots to play out, but the prevailing view is we will trade the pick, and that includes what Harley’s family think will happen.

"i know it's WAFL colts but he's a class above."

He should be a class above Colts. 2 classes.

He should be playing seniors every week. The fact he isn't makes me wonder.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s played WAFL league the last 4 weeks and hasn’t looked out of place. Granted it’s as a defender and not as a mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would this work?

Do a deal with Gold Coast that we won't bid on Walter with pick 1 if we can trade our future 1st to them for pick 4. Throw in one of our picks in the 50s if need be. Use pick 4 to get either Curtin, McKercher or Duursma.

So we get Reid for pick 1, and either Curtin, McKercher or Duursma for our future 1st.
I don't think trading a future 1st is a good move this year. Can't see the ladder position changing too much next season. Maybe next season it would work out better.

L.Mac + pick 2 for pick 1.
Good deal
I know you don't really think LMac is worth pick 1. ;)
If you wanted us to have LMac, you should have let us when we bid on him in his draft year at pick 6.
You matched, so we then live traded our pick to Collingwood, and ended up with Sheed at 11. Your win over Gold Coast certainly not the first favour you've done for us. I don't see LMac kicking that goal. Great player though.

Last edited:
It’s pretty hard to find a single person I know who believes West Coast will keep pick1.

Lots to play out, but the prevailing view is we will trade the pick, and that includes what Harley’s family think will happen.
With the potential trades being thrown up it seems ridiculous that we’ve decided to trade it away, not doubting your sources but doubting the decision making of the club.

Melbourne looks like the best bet for quantity (I’d be annoyed if we handed him to Melbourne for a “fair deal”) whilst at this stage with North we’d get Curtin and a late first. Both trades are worse than what we got in return for pick 2 + Rioli last year.

This year there’s a clear number 1 who’s projecting superstar potential and clubs are falling over themselves trying to get in line for him. I’d be f*cking pissed if we were openly making it known 3 months before the draft that we intend to trade the rights to him. It lowers our bargaining power instantly by making that call this early.

We’re going down the same path as last year where we’re the ones doing the work to get the trade done despite being under no pressure to do it. Should be intending to pick Reid and see how desperate clubs really are.

Find the views that it is a foregone conclusion that we will trade it pretty strange. To date it has all come from east coast pundits and while there are limitations on pre-draft contact there does seem to have been at least some with Harley.

All things considered I'd be happy with a trade if it includes pick 2, 3 or 4 along with at least another solid first rounder and quality steak knives, but if it doesn't then it's a non-starter in my view. As much as our club can be a bit weird on the draft I am pretty sure they will be aware that this draft falls away pretty hard after the top 5.

For me though, the fact is that Reid fits our needs, is from a region we've had pretty good retention from (and where have several other boys at the club who seem to love it) and is as firm a consensus pick one as you will ever get. He's the most certain bet in a long time to be a player that brings people through the gates and give the club some excitement through this rebuild.

If he is a bust (which seems unlikely) then everyone got it wrong, we can live with that. If he lives up to the hype we could regret a trade for a long time. For every Ginbey and Hewett there are a lot of those trades that go very wrong.

Also, I just don't get where the idea that West Coast values WA talent above all else (and therefore would take a bad trade just to get Curtin) is coming from. 2022 aside it has not been a deciding factor in our early drafting very often, and even last year you could say Ginbey and Hewett were best available at our picks anyway.

With the potential trades being thrown up it seems ridiculous that we’ve decided to trade it away, not doubting your sources but doubting the decision making of the club.

Melbourne looks like the best bet for quantity (I’d be annoyed if we handed him to Melbourne for a “fair deal”) whilst at this stage with North we’d get Curtin and a late first. Both trades are worse than what we got in return for pick 2 + Rioli last year.

This year there’s a clear number 1 who’s projecting superstar potential and clubs are falling over themselves trying to get in line for him. I’d be f*cking pissed if we were openly making it known 3 months before the draft that we intend to trade the rights to him. It lowers our bargaining power instantly by making that call this early.

We’re going down the same path as last year where we’re the ones doing the work to get the trade done despite being under no pressure to do it. Should be intending to pick Reid and see how desperate clubs really are.
agree. We should be doing nothing, let others come to us.
I really hope we are just pissing in their pockets with no intention of trading just to watch clubs try and get a deal done. Then on draft day nominate Walters and take Reid after making GC cough up.

Definitely trade out pick 1 for a top 4/5 and 10ish pick if offered. We'll be better for it in the long run, we're so short on quality youngsters. It was only 9 months ago people were talking Chesser as the second coming, picks aren't guaranteed.
The only people talking Chesser up as the second coming are the kind of people who would sing the team song on the plane after a massive loss

I know you don't really think LMac is worth pick 1. ;)
If you wanted us to have LMac, you should have let us when we bid on him in his draft year at pick 6.
You matched, so we then live traded our pick to Collingwood, and ended up with Sheed at 11. Your win over Gold Coast certainly not the first favour you've done for us. I don't see LMac kicking that goal. Great player though.
I'm talking about Luke Mcdonald. North co- captain. He didn't play yesterday and that was why we won.

To be clear, any info I have been given is from people who have zero connection to the club. It’s more what others believe (hope?) to see happen.

Whether they have formed that view from some contact with west coast or not I’m not sure. All I know is it’s very hard to find a single person who believes we draft Reid.

Last edited:
F****n vomit if the club trades out pick 1 to Melbourne for a handful beans.

G.Lyon is already nauseating to the extreme - it would be intolerable to see him being so smug should we gift-wrap him Reid.

They could offer f***** x5 top 10 picks and I'd still tell them to cram it.

This draft is shallow on elite potential. Outside the top 5 is little different to picking at 25.

Splitting the pick this year will end up with a rebuild that plays out in the same manner as Fremantle's - plenty of good role players and supporting cast, but lacking in the kind of elite quality that wins big moments in big matches.

Football is increasingly becoming a game where being able to win one-on-one contests is decisive to final outcomes. The best one-on-one player in the entire draft pool is H.Reid by the length of the drive from Melbourne to Tongala.

Just take the pick to the bank and the best available - which is Reid.

Even without splitting, the club is going to have at further x3 other picks inside the top 40, which is plenty of opportunity to stock up on depth.

It's time to add the quality to this build.
a few weeks ago, when it looked most likely that we'd finish last, I heard the pieman in an interview and the interviewer was putting scenarios to him about what trade West Coast might accept for pick one. It started with the offer of 2 first round picks, pieman said 'keep going,'; three first rounders - 'keep going,'... Indicated that there wasn't much chance of us trading the pick unless it was like a godfather offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back