Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 2 WA based players have ever reached 300 games. You don’t find that a bit odd?

And on the other hand, don’t Richmond supporters rate 2020 as the greatest premiership of all time because of the incredible adversity they had to overcome by moving away from the MCG?

I’m surprised as a Richmond supporter you don’t rate David Mundy. You should know all about him after all
Not really. Before 2021, with 110 years history in the AFL, we only had three players reach the 300 game tally. It’s really hard to do regardless of what part of the country your team is based.

In regards to flags, 2020 wasn’t the greatest of all time in my opinion. A Richmond supporter may have mentioned 2020 and you have clung to this thinking all of us thought this, but that ain’t the case.

2017 was my favourite because it broke our drought. As you will hopefully experience one day.

As for David Mundy, where did I say I didn’t rate him????? I do know all about him. Fantastic player.

Maybe that’s how we should measure football greatness from here on in. Flight miles.

Shane Parker would be right up there as a legend of the game.

In fairness Shane Parker is definitely an underrated gem of our obscure past in the overall footy zeitgeist. Honest defender who did his job well against the best forwards far big and better than he was.

I think the "travel is overstated" take is somewhat incorrect but not exactly hard to see why it's made. The effects aren't necessarily a week to week/trip to trip thing rather an accumulative slow burn that chips away at a player's recovery. It probably won't affect a player as much in their prime around 24-29 so much as they've had enough elite level physical conditioning and are at the healthiest they'll ever be that they can generally recover well. Young players without the conditioning and those on the older side will feel it more and more as the year goes on and definitely as their career goes on. When it comes to a game at its highest level where even the best teams can lose to the worst ones if they're even 5-10% of their average best It's not exactly an insignificant factor.

Having said that I don't exactly think David Mundy would've necessarily played a great deal longer (or better) if he was Melbourne based, his speed had diminished and ability to run defensively and account for a direct opponent had almost vanished entirely to the point where he was targetted by opposition coaches as the weak point around centre clearances. That's an age thing sadly. What's remarkable when it comes to the travel/recovery factor was that he never sustained a run of prolonged injuries (especially soft tissue) that kept him out of games as well as being able to run out seasons well into his later age.

Brent Harvey was a true freak in that he could still do everything he could at 28 at 38 and easily could've played another 2 (possibly 3) years at the highest level and it's a real shame he wasn't given that opportunity

Not really. Before 2021, with 110 years history in the AFL, we only had three players reach the 300 game tally. It’s really hard to do regardless of what part of the country your team is based.

In regards to flags, 2020 wasn’t the greatest of all time in my opinion. A Richmond supporter may have mentioned 2020 and you have clung to this thinking all of us thought this, but that ain’t the case.

2017 was my favourite because it broke our drought. As you will hopefully experience one day.

As for David Mundy, where did I say I didn’t rate him????? I do know all about him. Fantastic player.
My favourite was 2019 because you just knew GWS weren't in the same weight class as Richmond but the typical AFL media hype billing it to be a classic coupled with the overblown fear of GWS's history of high draft picks made the betting markets WAY closer than they ever should've been. Made a killing whacking money on Richmond to win by 60+ that day :thumbsu:

How? I was born here, raised here as Australian. Why do I need to be welcomed to my country of birth at every single opportunity? I know and understand the past and agree it is incredibly difficult for those directly involved.

You’re speaking about something very different. They’re not welcoming you to “Australia” like a tourism sign at the airport. Their notion of country is about a connection to the land and the environment. It’s less about geography and more about cultural significance.

What I struggle to understand is why it bothers you so much.

AFL need to stop with the social issues and playing politics and just play ******* football. It's football and nothing else.
There’s a good old fashioned solution to this which is stop paying attention. You only get upset at this because you want to be upset. Why does it matter to you if the AFL wants to have a pride round?

Sport just like music, film and literature, has used its platform in society to engage and promote issues and agendas since the dawn of time. The AFL is not unique in any sense in the way it talks about social issues.

You’re speaking about something very different. They’re not welcoming you to “Australia” like a tourism sign at the airport. Their notion of country is about a connection to the land and the environment. It’s less about geography and more about cultural significance.

What I struggle to understand is why it bothers you so much.
Because it happens at every single opportunity the AFL and basically any corporate event.

At what point does it start to become meaningless? It's more meaningful if it is happening less often. I turn off or tune now.

I'm talking about that and every single week almost being welcomed and acknowledging the country. We ******* get it, how many times is too many? Just bounce the football and get it through the big sticks more times than the other team and that's it.

St kilda being upset that they weren't inclusive enough too, how about worrying about winning another premiership and not staying the most unsuccessful football team that's ever been?
Awwwwwwww I feel so bad for you , can't handle welcome to country😭😭
It goes for about a minute, It has no effect on your life, you're gonna be ****ing fine champ

Also I don't think St Kilda supporting human rights (gay rights) is why they're unsuccessful.
Teams like Geelong have been big on these issues and are premiers this year

The fact that you're whinging over all this proves why we need it.

Awwwwwwww I feel so bad for you , can't handle welcome to country😭😭
It goes for about a minute, It has no effect on your life, you're gonna be ******* fine champ

Also I don't think St Kilda supporting human rights (gay rights) is why they're unsuccessful.
Teams like Geelong have been big on these issues and are premiers this year

The fact that you're whinging over all this proves why we need it.
You've champed me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say whatever you want, literally nothing you or anyone says will ever offend me, do your worst.
I’d like to begin by acknowledging the Traditional Owners of the land on which we meet today. I would also like to pay my respects to Elders past and present.

I’d like to begin by acknowledging the Traditional Owners of the land on which we meet today. I would also like to pay my respects to Elders past and present.
Points for that, although you forgot emerging (which always makes me think of some toddler scowling and muttering ‘when I grow up I’m gonna be an elder!’ but that’s probably my stupid sense of humour)
But yeah as things go it’s not something that anyone should choose as a hill to die on. It’s harmless to most and important to a few.
But the cynic in me sees it as a token gesture… like much of the AFL PR machine moves… that is much more about being seen to do the right thing for the cash it could generate rather than actually doing something that is really meaningful, and the AFL aren’t on their Pat Malone on that.

The circlejerk makes it sound like he’s doing some 8D chess.

I mean, if he’s getting people in his ear saying “Player X is going to team Y at pick Z”, then he just parrots that on AFL.com - that doesn’t make him an oracle guru savant, it just means he’s a good journo.
Oracles aren't real bro. It's figurative just FYI.

I don’t mind the themed rounds if the intent is right. I’d like to see more AFL support around them than just virtue signalling by naming a round after them.

Reeks of being seen to be doing the right thing.

The boys club likes to sweep contentious issues under the carpet when it gets too hard, but will theme a round and think that’s all good.

The AFLPA are just as bad, if not worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back