Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

On the AFLPA, anything from them on the treatment of Harry Sheezel?
Exactly.
Their silence on the Adelaide camp and the treatment of the players was appalling. Even the follow up when it all came out was non existent.

The Hawthorn report is getting treated with the same disdain.

It’s no surprise there’s no support for Sheezel either. Just look back at all the assistance they gave Goodes. Appalling.

But wait until the next CBA comes up and they will fight for less game time, more money, and more player movement. All about the $$$.

Absolute trash organisation.

I don’t mind the themed rounds if the intent is right. I’d like to see more AFL support around them than just virtue signalling by naming a round after them.

Reeks of being seen to be doing the right thing.

The boys club likes to sweep contentious issues under the carpet when it gets too hard, but will theme a round and think that’s all good.

The AFLPA are just as bad, if not worse.

What specifically do you want the AFL to do?

I ask because the themed rounds sit in spaces where the AFL does quite a bit more already. As an example, the AFL has an indigenous round (actually two rounds) but also:
  • has a fully fledged reconciliation action plan
  • has appointed indigenous people to key roles aross the AFL, and has a development plan in place to support more in the future
  • works closely with indigenous people to include cultural elements across the AFL (for example at hte Brownlow medal, grand final, etc)
  • sponsors an Indigenous leadership program
  • sponsors the next generation academies
  • runs a female specific participation and development program
  • has programs in place to support indigenous broadcasters, coaches, a tribunal member (supported by rule changes around vilification) etc.

According the AFL it runs 100+ programs, involving 24,000 indigenous people across the country, at a cost of $13.5m

Is that more than just 'virtue signalling'? I reckon the AFL is pretty genuine about supporting indigenous people within the sport, even if it can be a bit tone-deaf and there is still work to do (the intent is there, if not always the application).

Exactly.
Their silence on the Adelaide camp and the treatment of the players was appalling. Even the follow up when it all came out was non existent.

The Hawthorn report is getting treated with the same disdain.

It’s no surprise there’s no support for Sheezel either. Just look back at all the assistance they gave Goodes. Appalling.

But wait until the next CBA comes up and they will fight for less game time, more money, and more player movement. All about the $$$.

Absolute trash organisation.

Yep.

Hypocrisy reigns supreme.

We are all guilty of hypocrisy.

The AFLPA should AT the very least pretend to show compassion and solidarity instead of just being completely disingenuous.

If this, that and the other form the cornerstones of the AFLPA's values, morals and any other bollocks, display, exhibit, demonstrate and OWN the legitimately necessary actions that support these.

Bit of a waffle but needed to be said.

Anyone executorial from the AFL and its offshoots go missing more than Scummo.

I reckon we will never ever see the arc footage of Tom Lynch goal v Brisbane

You can all work out for yourselves as to why that is the case
Because

Season 3 Nbc GIF by Manifest

The amount of white people white knighting for welcome to country with a holier than thou attitude in here is appalling. I get the intent is to do well but have the AFL, corporate leaders or any of you in here consulted directly with First Nations leaders or people with frequency and breadth to understand what their community wants and needs across a diverse cross section? Guaranteed not, the AFL speak to their mates, not the entire community when making policy and process.

More often than not First Nations people would much rather see it used much less, and only when genuinely as opposed to shoved down peoples throats when meaningful organisational change isn’t happening (see Eddie betts).

When you consult the people directly impacted you’ll find that that probably want white people to stop thinking they know what’s best for them.

To everyone on their high horse who has slammed a bloke who is actually living with and in a relationship with a First Nations person for daring to speak on behalf of what some may want pull your heads in and drop the smug white man do good act.

Of the hundred odd players who've played 300 games in the history of the league, about two thirds of them have reached the milestone since 2000. It's easier to do it now than it ever has been.
Only three have done it from a WA side though (as far as I know). I'm pretty sure even Boomer's said Mundy's done closer to 500 in equivalent games given the extra miles. Monumental achievement and wasn't past it when he did go.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL should have its clubs play at a country ground during the H/A season.

Have a proper country round/game.
Not one that's always at the 'G.

Also, venture into suburban grounds that aren't used that weekend.

The AFL should have its clubs play at a country ground during the H/A season.

Have a proper country round/game.
Not one that's always at the 'G.

Also, venture into suburban grounds that aren't used that weekend.
agree
when its 19 teams it should be a 19 game season
everyone once - 9 home and 9 away - and teams you play home one year you play away the following year
and an extra 19th round - middle of season over 2 weeks (so teams get a bye) - which all games are in country 2nd tier venues

when its 19 teams it should be a 19 game season

18 game season. You can't play yourself. Well, you can, but the AFL isn't going to schedule it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back