Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Cripps is overrated - he’s good but not in that top tier of mids

The average game from him is: flick around some handballs, win some clearances and have 2 or 3 flying shots at goal which just sneak in for a behind

Maybe I’m watching the wrong games but I don’t see why people go on about him compared with say Bont
This. He’s in the same category as Miller, Steele, Wines, Laird, Brayshaw

Not to the level of Bontempelli, Petracca, Oliver, Neale.

Yeah, with no relegation the bottom 6 may as well stop playing after 17 games.
Could argue that's no different to the current situation. At least that's only three games in the round.

And for those games between the bottom third, it may provide an opportunity for teams to get whatever they want out of the last month and a bit, if they want to play the yoof, if they want to go all out for some wins to build some enthusiasm for the next season, whatever.

In that scenario they should be playing for draft order
If the suggestion is that the best W/L from the second phase in the bottom third earns the #1 pick, I have to disagree - it means that a team that was maybe a few bad injuries and unlucky losses away from making the eight can now beat up on a few genuinely dreadful teams and get a better prospect in the draft.

If the suggestion is that the best W/L from the second phase in the bottom third earns the #1 pick, I have to disagree - it means that a team that was maybe a few bad injuries and unlucky losses away from making the eight can now beat up on a few genuinely dreadful teams and get a better prospect in the draft.

It sounds harsh but I have never ever agreed with the principle of ‘finish last, get the best reward.’ I like the lottery system of the NBA which I assume still exists. If a side was genuinely THAT bad that they just need help I don’t really have an issue with them applying for a priority pick

It sounds harsh but I have never ever agreed with the principle of ‘finish last, get the best reward.’ I like the lottery system of the NBA which I assume still exists. If a side was genuinely THAT bad that they just need help I don’t really have an issue with them applying for a priority pick
The issue with a priority pick is that it is subjectively awarded, unless you added a way to 'qualify' for one which in doing so would also encourage tanking.

And I’m not sure why so many Richmond fans think people ‘have a problem’ with it simply because they acknowledge the performances of other players.

I’m literally not even saying he shouldn’t have won it FFS. Find me where I’ve said it.

You DONT HAVE TO GO INTO BAT FOR SOMEONE WHO ISNT BEING ATTACKED.

‘He was the most decisive player in the result’ is not someone having a go at him mate.

It’s someone saying ‘he probably deserved the honour.’

FMD
My bad. I was sitting in Sydney airport after 24 hours sleep-deprivation from a couple of flights and mis-read the context and hence your intentions of the post. Probably more of a reflex response on my part to the countless other posts since then by other less astute posters then yourself spruiking that Martin was somehow undeserving. Glad you're not in that camp and prepared to acknowledge Houli's performance as well.

My bad. I was sitting in Sydney airport after 24 hours sleep-deprivation from a couple of flights and mis-read the context and hence your intentions of the post. Probably more of a reflex response on my part to the countless other posts since then by other less astute posters then yourself spruiking that Martin was somehow undeserving. Glad you're not in that camp and prepared to acknowledge Houli's performance as well.

NP.

Simply saying that it can be hard to weigh up ‘best’ ‘most valuable’ ‘most impactful’ etc as there’s no ‘right’ way to do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring in relegation.

Winner of Champions of Australia (VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NSWFL, QFL excluding AFL affiliates) go into AFL, and bottom team in AFL drops out.

Can Imagine a Norwood, Claremont, Port Melbourne playing in front of a packed local ground...

Will never happen in a million years unfortunately, people are free to go and watch Norwood and Claremont now though 🤷‍♂️

This. He’s in the same category as Miller, Steele, Wines, Laird, Brayshaw

Not to the level of Bontempelli, Petracca, Oliver, Neale.
I think there are a couple of things that set Cripps aside when he is at his absolute best:

1. The combination of goal-kicking on top of a LOT of (contested) disposals. For example, last year Cripps had 30 diposals + 3 goals vs Richmond; 32+3 vs Freo; 35+2 vs Bulldogs and Adelaide, etc. Jack Steele has only done that 4x for his career. Wines has done it 4x, Laird has done it twice, Andrew Brayshaw once, Miller x4, etc. Cripps has 13 of those games across his career (if I've counted correctly).

It is even more stark in contrast if you change it to 15+ contested possessions and 2+ goals. Cripps has done that 16 times, I think. Miller = 2, Wines x4, Laird x2, Steele and Brayshaw have never done it.

2. Size; Cripps is a unique specimen at 195cm and that stands out. On it's own it isn't that remarkable, but it stands out and is worthy of consideration - he isn't your average midfielder and takes at least a little bit of thought about how you will defend him.

FWIW, as a stats comparison on the measures I gave for Cripps:

Bontempelli = 30d+2g = 8 and 15CP + 2g = 13
Petracca = 30d + 2g = 7 and 15CP + 2g = 7
Oliver = 30d + 2g = 4 and 15CP + 2g = 4
Neale = 30d + 2g = 7 and 15CP + 2g = 7

A couple of benchmarks, by the way...
Dangerfield = 30d + 2g = 19 and 15CP + 2g = 40
Gary Ablett Jr = 30d + 2g = 50 and 15CP + 2g = 32

I wonder whether the original post might be better served stating that Cripps isn't quite in the company of those guys... which I think is true. If your prefernce is also for Bont, Petracca etc on consistency and impact in finals, that's also a valide criticism. I rekcon he's still above that first group

Bring in relegation.

Winner of Champions of Australia (VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NSWFL, QFL excluding AFL affiliates) go into AFL, and bottom team in AFL drops out.

Can Imagine a Norwood, Claremont, Port Melbourne playing in front of a packed local ground...
Can imagine them losing by 250 every week too

Loyalty to a club should be financially rewarded by the AFL.
We don’t need to copy everything Americans do , mid season drafts etc trades etc.
We are never going to be that size and I’m fine with it, let’s keep some decency and please keep some element of physicality and danger to the game. Make the choice to play it may not always be fairy floss and unicorns but is it worth it for what you do get…. I don’t know make the choice…
Skateboarding is amazing but we can’t make all the floor marshmallows… I’m sorry there is risk and reward.

Coaches commentators everyone “representing” the afl find some inner beliefs and speak them! It maybe the hot topic and you don’t want to come across as a fan of head injuries or concussion but please more people say what you think and not we should change the tackling don’t bring them to the ground etc.

I’m done sorry had to write it!
Thankyou

Not sure if unpopular or not

But make it a 24 game season. Add another round. Up to 7 teams you play twice helping fairness a little

No unofficial 6 qtr practice games in march. Clubs can do intraclub game simulations in February and one official normal rules and game length game in march. Then get into it

I love the research in your answer. It definitely makes me think. The only issue I have is the 37%. These are all set shot statistics. I'm saying if a player has the ball in general play in a contested situation. The odds of a goal would plummet significantly. maybe 10% or even less of slotting a goal. (I don't have the stats on this lol). Blazing away at goal will not allow the team any time to set up a zone and the risk of the slingshot goal for the opposition would then suddenly increase. The risk outweighs the reward. You don't need a goal or a point, you just don't need the other team to score.

The time I got was just an estimation but assuming the ball goes up, goes down, some scrubby ruckman drops the mark, ball hits the deck, guy gets tackled, ball comes out, next guy picks it up gets tackled, guys jump on, umpire waits a couple of seconds before calling ball up. Then umpire throws it up again, a ruckman gets a hitout , the ball hits the deck again and we're back to where we were when the player last had the ball. It's clock management and it's the right play imo. Basketballers think this way :p
A basketballer did try this once. It didn't end well...

Look to Gaelic football to reduce issues around player head injuries. They have restricted most contact, particularly in regards to tackling and touching players without the ball.

Gaelic footy is still a fast flowing, highly skilled sport, much like our game.

Yeah, with no relegation the bottom 6 may as well stop playing after 17 games.

I've proposed a version of this which is basically:

• play the first 17 games as normal (16 home and away + gather round)
  • for the last 5 rounds play swiss pairings (1v2, 3v4, etc)
  • teams are eliminated once they can no longer mathematically make the finals. The bottom few teams might only play 17 games
  • no double ups - if the matchup has already occured (eg: after round 18 the same two teams are 1-2) then it just skips to the next logical/feasible game (eg 1v3 and 2v4)

eg: after 17 matches last year, Richmond were in 8th spot on 9-8. The bottom 2 would have been eliminated but Adelaide and GWS (5-12) would still technically be 'alive'. Note that in this system eithe r7th or 8th has to lose, as does one of 9th and 10th.

You would have some teams eliminated after 17 games but could work something out for them instead - maybe some 'challenge' matches amongst the eliminated teams where they can play the kids; those games could also be a good place to trial some new rules for the following year

If Tarryn Thomas wasn’t Indigenous he would have been sacked 6 months ago

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back