Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If Tarryn Thomas wasn’t Indigenous he would have been sacked 6 months ago

That's a horrible take.

Thomas has been accused of, what, threatening women? And also has some driving offences? He's clearly a bloke with some serious issues but hardly on an Island there

Other (non-indigenous) players have done far worse and retained their jobs. Jordan de Goey is a reasonable comparison: arrested twice for sexual assault (and physical assualt), drink driving charges, broke his hand in a bar fight, and seems pretty unrepentant. He's flying along quite nicely at Collingwood.

That's a horrible take.

Thomas has been accused of, what, threatening women? And also has some driving offences? He's clearly a bloke with some serious issues but hardly on an Island there

Other (non-indigenous) players have done far worse and retained their jobs. Jordan de Goey is a reasonable comparison: arrested twice for sexual assault (and physical assualt), drink driving charges, broke his hand in a bar fight, and seems pretty unrepentant. He's flying along quite nicely at Collingwood.

I seem to recall a Brownlow medallist and b&f winner at Collingwood having giving someone a brain injury by stomping on their head early in his career?

-Father-Son rule is stupid (unpopular, but I know I'm right)

- Gather Round is dumb. See my posts on it in the main thread.

- Double chances in finals are stupid and go against the very "perform on the day" principle of what finals are about

- Tasmania should not have a team. You need MIMIMUM 500,000 people in an area within one-hour travel distance by car. Tasmania is too decentralized and Hobart is only half as big as it needs to be at a minimum to support a team.

-Father-Son rule is stupid (unpopular, but I know I'm right)

- Gather Round is dumb. See my posts on it in the main thread.

- Double chances in finals are stupid and go against the very "perform on the day" principle of what finals are about

- Tasmania should not have a team. You need MIMIMUM 500,000 people in an area within one-hour travel distance by car. Tasmania is too decentralized and Hobart is only half as big as it needs to be at a minimum to support a team.
So because a Tasmania team will not draw 20-30,000 crowds from the beginning, it shouldn’t happen?

So because a Tasmania team will not draw 20-30,000 crowds from the beginning, it shouldn’t happen?

The market simply isn’t big enough. That’s why they’ve never had a team and why they should continue to not have a team. The fact that Tassy is an Aussie Rules mad state is not an argument, otherwise we’d have a team in Ballarat. Also 19 teams is too many. It should never ever happen.

The market simply isn’t big enough. That’s why they’ve never had a team and why they should continue to not have a team. The fact that Tassy is an Aussie Rules mad state is not an argument, otherwise we’d have a team in Ballarat. Also 19 teams is too many. It should never ever happen.
Teams can be subsidised. Gold coast for example will never be profitable.

It should never ever happen.
Never ever, ever ever?

The Tassie government is aiming for a population of 650,000 by 2050.

Personally I'd hate living there now, but I work from home so it's no problem where I live, as long as I have the Internets I'm ok. I reckon as WFH becomes a bit more normalised a lot more people will move there, I could even see myself there in a decade or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More racist, than unpopular.

I'd posit that it's more to do with him being a talented footballer as to the reason he hasn't been sacked. See Carey, Cousins, De Goey etc etc.
Past talent now, I can’t see him playing for Roos this year under any circumstance. This will be about how to navigate thru a settlement on his contract and show” our club tried to support and educate”. But agree, nothing to do with race.

Also, I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I find the Adam Saad 'woof' totally cringe. Like Carlton fans, you didn't even draft the guy. You traded him from another club who actually drafted and developed him. And half the time he chips it 20m anyway. Barely an Ang Christou. Total cringe for me.

and its not just Carlton, the dees fans roaring out 'Weeeeeeed' every time Sam Weideman touched the ball was total cringe. Like, he played half his career at Casey Scorpions, barely worthy of a personalised crowd callout. The 'Rooooooo' for Van Rooyen is similar. Like let's wait until they've actually produced at afl level I reckon.
"Total cringe" is total cringe

It wont happen, but... once tassie join and possiby a 20th team (WA/NT?) play a 18 game H&A season, and one "gather round".teams take it in turns with the home game i.e WCEvsBlues, WCE play in perth one year, and in melbourne the next.

Prior to this year there was a 22 round, 198 games season. this will change to a 190 game season. To make up a few games, there could be an extended top 10 finals series

The way the draw is atm it is enquitable with some side player the pox sides twice,and the last 4 or so games are usually dead rubbers.

why it wont happen
  • TV rights deal to play x amount of weeks/games
  • Players may have to take a pay cut.

It’s a great rule good to keep some tradition and heart to a club.
Oh FFS, what an absolute load of complete sh**.

What's the tradition?

And how can it be important enough to compromise the equalisation strategies such as the draft and salary cap?

Don't even get me started on how completely outdated and illogical it is.

My unpopular opinion is that the uneven fixture doesn't matter in the slightest, providing it is unbiased. 22 games, not everyone travels the same amount or distance, some teams play harder double ups... yep.

That's why we play a finals series at the end. If you have a slightly harder fixture and finish a spot or two lower, you now have an extra set of challenge matches to prove it.

Did you finish 3rd rather than 2nd as a result? Great... beat 2nd place and prove you are better. Miss the finals and end up 9th cos you had a worse fixture than 8th? Tough luck... if you missed the finals for that reason, you were probably just making up the numbers anyway.

I say this as a supporter of a team that has the worst home ground situation in the league, and who copped an extra away game for gather round (on a 6 day break to play on a Thursday no less) and who missed the finals last year in percentage, largely BECAUSE we were scheduled to play Collingwood twice (and they ended up much better than expected).

As long as there is no systematic, long term attempt to advantage one team or another, and the fixturing is reasonably transparent, i actually like the current imbalance.

Oh FFS, what an absolute load of complete sh**.

What's the tradition?

And how can it be important enough to compromise the equalisation strategies such as the draft and salary cap?

Don't even get me started on how completely outdated and illogical it is.
The passing in of customs or beliefs from generation to generation. It keeps a clubs seams even tighter, he’s a Daicos he plays for Collingwood, Gold Coast have been given enough help and they will experience it one day if they manage to become a club with some tradition and roots.

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back