Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The passing in of customs or beliefs from generation to generation. It keeps a clubs seams even tighter, he’s a Daicos he plays for Collingwood, Gold Coast have been given enough help and they will experience it one day if they manage to become a club with some tradition and roots.
Whatever the help they get it doesnt really matter when they cant keep the players. Father sons are more likely to stay unless pushed out

- Tasmania should not have a team. You need MIMIMUM 500,000 people in an area within one-hour travel distance by car. Tasmania is too decentralized and Hobart is only half as big as it needs to be at a minimum to support a team.
You're just afraid of the day that you lose me D26.

My unpopular opinion is that the uneven fixture doesn't matter in the slightest, providing it is unbiased. 22 games, not everyone travels the same amount or distance, some teams play harder double ups... yep.

That's why we play a finals series at the end. If you have a slightly harder fixture and finish a spot or two lower, you now have an extra set of challenge matches to prove it.

Did you finish 3rd rather than 2nd as a result? Great... beat 2nd place and prove you are better. Miss the finals and end up 9th cos you had a worse fixture than 8th? Tough luck... if you missed the finals for that reason, you were probably just making up the numbers anyway.

I say this as a supporter of a team that has the worst home ground situation in the league, and who copped an extra away game for gather round (on a 6 day break to play on a Thursday no less) and who missed the finals last year in percentage, largely BECAUSE we were scheduled to play Collingwood twice (and they ended up much better than expected).

As long as there is no systematic, long term attempt to advantage one team or another, and the fixturing is reasonably transparent, i actually like the current imbalance.
I fully agree with this, and I do believe it's unpopular cos every time I point it out, they just ignore my post lol

The league isn't 100% even and never will but every team has their advantages and disadvantages.
Do the the Perth teams have to travel a bit more? Sure, but they also have 10 flipping games with a homeground advantage. Your team has to double up against the best team in the comp? That's a good chance to prove themselves. 6 day break and travel? Player/fitness management is a club skill in itself.

I always think back to grandfinal 2021 , both teams made it without playing a single home final and they got there because they were just flipping better than the rest of the comp.

Some supporters need to accept that it's not the fixture, umpires, afl conspiracy, Vicbias etc. Stopping their club from being good, their club just needs to be better.

Last edited:
The passing in of customs or beliefs from generation to generation.

I know a tradition is.

I asked what the tradition is that we're trying to protect or maintain?

It keeps a clubs seams even tighter, he’s a Daicos he plays for Collingwood, Gold Coast have been given enough help and they will experience it one day if they manage to become a club with some tradition and roots.
Until they get traded or leave for better opportunity?

What a load of nonsense.

And what if the club doesn't want them? Or what if they don't want to play for that club? What happens to the tradition then? We suddenly don't care about it any more?

What if a player plays at two clubs? Or three clubs? What the father coaches somewhere?

If we're trying to protect some mythical tradition, surely we can't let players change clubs ever?

Seriously, for a professional sport, the fact that they keep this absolute rubbish up is just insane.

The Father Son rule is just one of many quirks the AFL has which makes it an inequitable competition. It's a great tradition to keep family connections to a club alive but I think it's impossible to argue it's truly fair.

In a league where big name players more and more head to big name clubs its a mechanism which will further widen the gap.

I also cannot understand for the life of me why a 20% bidding discount exists for it (and academies etc). Why should a club not only get first rights to a player, but also have that player be delivered with a nice cherry on top?

Is there any other professional sport in the world with a father-son rule? Genuinely curious.
No. The closest is probably the NRL father-son rule for State of Origin. The father son rule is really only necessary is competitions which have a draft, and there aren't that many which do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Father Son rule is just one of many quirks the AFL has which makes it an inequitable competition. It's a great tradition to keep family connections to a club alive but I think it's impossible to argue it's truly fair.

In a league where big name players more and more head to big name clubs its a mechanism which will further widen the gap.

I also cannot understand for the life of me why a 20% bidding discount exists for it (and academies etc). Why should a club not only get first rights to a player, but also have that player be delivered with a nice cherry on top?

This is pretty much my assurance too. I understand why it exists but the 20% is silly.

I suspect most would happily pay market value if it meant I was able to see familiar names okay for their club. I don't understand why you get to jump to a pick you don't have for less than what another is willing to pay.

Also my sentiment - you get first access already as part of the father/son rule - fine, you do you - but why do you get an additional points discount?

academy rules for the draft are a far bigger issue IMO than father-son.

Bullshit

As rubbish as academy stuff is, at least there's some tiny bit of logic to it.

It's designed to entice local kids to engage in footy and have a pathway which in theory encourages local kids to latch on to their local club.

I mean let's be honest, it's complete horseshit but is solely designed to get non-AFL states to lunch talent from the NRL.

So to that extent, at least the theory is that it grows the game.

BUT WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K DOES THE FATHER-SON RULE DO???!! Aside from counter acting the draft, if course.

Bullshit

As rubbish as academy stuff is, at least there's some tiny bit of logic to it.

It's designed to entice local kids to engage in footy and have a pathway which in theory encourages local kids to latch on to their local club.

I mean let's be honest, it's complete horseshit but is solely designed to get non-AFL states to lunch talent from the NRL.

So to that extent, at least the theory is that it grows the game.

BUT WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K DOES THE FATHER-SON RULE DO???!! Aside from counter acting the draft, if course.
Ive already explained this.
It givers a club meaning and it helps build a clubs pride in having a great footballing family, your father plays for that club you will live and die by that jumper and its not right for them to not be given the opportunity if there good enough to play for that club.

I agree. As far as I understand, the aim of all academies (both NGA and northern club development academies) is supposedly to bring in and develop talent from communities which otherwise might not have access to do so otherwise. In itself, this is a very reasonable endeavour for the league to pursue.

Why though is it led by the clubs and not a league responsibility independent from the individual clubs? And why are these clubs subsequently rewarded with special access to these players ahead of everyone else? By giving clubs the ability to match bids on players from their academys, essentially what we have is an off field venture bringing on field benefits (before even talking about the 20% discount) - at least now they've added in the top 20 bid rule. The Nick Blakely situation added another ridiculous layer to it all.

I say this as a supporter of a club who has benefited significantly from both the academy and the father-son rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back