Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It is 100% time to rethink the handling of online racist abuse that is received by players.

The current process of the player’s club statement followed by ‘No part in our game!’ outrage by the small amount of former players that make up the footy media, capped off by asking Eddie Betts to comment (and unfortunately, just repeat himself again), and then out of the news cycle, has become ‘rinse and repeat’ - the racist attacks continue to happen a number of times each year, so clearly the current approach is not actually doing anything to stop this behaviour.

I don’t know the answer to a better method but this has reached a point of becoming ‘ignorable news’ which in itself is just awful.

spot on. it's the right play. Another one is if you're on the boundary line with a player coming at you just handball it to him and tackle him. Reverse the roles. it takes out the risk of holding the ball and deliberate out of bounds perfectly.I honestly think the afl as a sport is pretty slow in terms of game sense.
Totally on board with this Danster, and have said the same myself. Basketballers seem to be great at improvising in similar situations, just taking a bit longer for out footy players to cotton on.

I love the new dropping the ball rule. Just as the player with the ball is about to be tackled he just lets the ball go, gets tackled and gets the free. Four effing umpires and this s**t happens non stop!
Yep, and the old falling forward just as you're tackled from behind to bring the tackler (who has actually wrapped up the ball carrier in good faith) down on your back is another chestnut.

Personally, I don't think penalising "chesting" in the back is what the spirit of the rule was conceived upon anyway.

Totally on board with this Danster, and have said the same myself. Basketballers seem to be great at improvising in similar situations, just taking a bit longer for out footy players to cotton on.
totally agree. basketballers have much better game sense and IQ. The clock management stuff, advancing the ball, subbing off poor free throw shooters, fighting for each 0.5 seconds on the clock etc. What do your footballers do? Freak out, run with the footy Lochie O'Brien style and fail to make the correct decision. The other thing is, the 30 second shot routine. The rule is that you have to just start your run up within 30 seconds. You don't have to complete it. There's nothing stopping someone from having a Ben Brown type run up and walking in milking a crazy amount of time off the clock. This is within the rules.

I'm actually a bit fed up with the lack of common sense in afl players and coaches today. there's about 3 loopholes that I've found that aren't even exploited by full times coaches and player earning big dollars.

Also, I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I find the Adam Saad 'woof' totally cringe. Like Carlton fans, you didn't even draft the guy. You traded him from another club who actually drafted and developed him. And half the time he chips it 20m anyway. Barely an Ang Christou. Total cringe for me.

and its not just Carlton, the dees fans roaring out 'Weeeeeeed' every time Sam Weideman touched the ball was total cringe. Like, he played half his career at Casey Scorpions, barely worthy of a personalised crowd callout. The 'Rooooooo' for Van Rooyen is similar. Like let's wait until they've actually produced at afl level I reckon.

Last edited:
totally agree. basketballers have much better game sense and IQ. The clock management stuff, advancing the ball, subbing off poor free throw shooters, fighting for each 0.5 seconds on the clock etc. What do your footballers do? Freak out, run with the footy Lochie O'Brien style and fail to make the correct decision. The other thing is, the 30 second shot routine. The rule is that you have to just start your run up within 30 seconds. You don't have to complete it. There's nothing stopping someone from having a Ben Brown type run up and walking in milking a crazy amount of time off the clock. This is within the rules.

I'm actually a bit fed up with the lack of common sense in afl players and coaches today. there's about 3 loopholes that I've found that aren't even exploited by full times coaches and player earning big dollars.
Haha, we should be watching matches together mate, agree with you 100%.

Case in point: I remember back when they were trialing 9-pointers in the pre-season cup, and when a bloke marked the ball inside 50 it would always be regarded as only a 6-pointer, even if he actually kicked from beyond 50. So my suggestion was, if your team desperately needed a 9-pointer and the right bloke had the ball, go right back outside 50 (even if the mark was set at 25 metres) and just wait until the 30 seconds elapsed and "play-on" was called. Then it technically had to be called as a 9 points from the successful 50+metre shot at goal. Yet nobody ever did it.

Maybe we need a whole thread dedicated to "Untapped Footy Hacks"? :D

Haha, we should be watching matches together mate, agree with you 100%.

Case in point: I remember back when they were trialing 9-pointers in the pre-season cup, and when a bloke marked the ball inside 50 it would always be regarded as only a 6-pointer, even if he actually kicked from beyond 50. So my suggestion was, if your team desperately needed a 9-pointer and the right bloke had the ball, go right back outside 50 (even if the mark was set at 25 metres) and just wait until the 30 seconds elapsed and "play-on" was called. Then it technically had to be called as a 9 points from the successful 50+metre shot at goal. Yet nobody ever did it.

Maybe we need a whole thread dedicated to "Untapped Footy Hacks"? :D
OMG agreed! I was thinking the exact same thing! Just hold the footy wait for the the play on and bank yourself a 9 pointer. It's beyond frustrating. Clarko had to travel to America to enhance his coaching skills after decades in the game and I still reckon we've got him for game IQ.

The thing is, it actually bugs me. Like if I called up Sen to explain it I feel like Gerard Whately would be about the only guy that would have the IQ to understand this very basic game sense hypothetical concepts.

AFL players get lauded as 'smart' for doing the most basic of common sense of plays. like punching a ball over the line when the scores are level so their team is up by 1. No kidding, what else was he gonna do lol. I think Harry Sheezel was lauded as being composed and having a high IQ because he kept the ball in when the scores are level and didn't allow the ball to cross the line. like what on earth. what's the alternative? Allow the ball to go over the line and lose by 1 point. lol. mind boggling. Happy to start that thread. I'll post all my ideas in there. :)

Also when a player has the ball on the boundary line and has oppo players running at him, and getting the ball over the line is ideal but he doesn't want to get caught for deliberate, just walk over the boundary line by about half a metre (obvious enough for the boundary umpire) and kick the ball long down the line as if it was his true intention. It'd never get called deliberate. It'd look more like, he lost sense of where the boundary line was.

I could go on for days with what should be obvious stuff.

Last edited:
Also, I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I find the Adam Saad 'woof' totally cringe. Like Carlton fans, you didn't even draft the guy. You traded him from another club who actually drafted and developed him. And half the time he chips it 20m anyway. Barely an Ang Christou. Total cringe for me.

and its not just Carlton, the dees fans roaring out 'Weeeeeeed' every time Sam Weideman touched the ball was total cringe. Like, he played half his career at Casey Scorpions, barely worthy of a personalised crowd callout. The 'Rooooooo' for Van Rooyen is similar. Like let's wait until they've actually produced at afl level I reckon.
I agree on the Saad call.

I do like the ‘Mooo’ for Cowan. However, I wouldn’t have been against it being added once he was more established.

It is 100% time to rethink the handling of online racist abuse that is received by players.

The current process of the player’s club statement followed by ‘No part in our game!’ outrage by the small amount of former players that make up the footy media, capped off by asking Eddie Betts to comment (and unfortunately, just repeat himself again), and then out of the news cycle, has become ‘rinse and repeat’ - the racist attacks continue to happen a number of times each year, so clearly the current approach is not actually doing anything to stop this behaviour.

I don’t know the answer to a better method but this has reached a point of becoming ‘ignorable news’ which in itself is just awful.
Spot on. Sadly, Betts has now done this a number of times, if he's putting his hand up to address the issue in the media himself that's one thing, but if he's trotted out to make an 'emotional plea' every time some w***er invokes the spirit of Old School White Australia, then that in itself is a type of abuse.

Unfortunately, the anonymous corners of the internet (like this one) cannot be truly be tamed and when you mix that with ignorant spiteful dickheads, it's a problem that will not just go away with asking and banning and other soft punishments.

The message is slowly getting through and today's indigenous players are living through their own painful transition period. I don't have a solution, but clearly no one else does either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't the umpire just blow time off as soon as a player makes it clear that they're trying a shot? You know, have a shot by all means, but you're not (legitimately) milking 20 extra seconds off the game clock, especially when they're trying to convince the umpire that they're really backing themselves to nail a shot from 65 metres out after running 12-15km at the end of a game and maybe like 2-3% of AFL players have that in their arsenal. That annoys me as much as the Ben Brown runway.

Not really sure why they can't make more use of blowing time off to stop the clock running down (especially in the last five minutes of a quarter, or even just the last quarter) when nothing's happening.

The other side of this is when a team has a shot when it's like, they're down by 14 points with three minutes to go and the forward has to speed up their whole routine to not let too much time run off the clock while they're lining things up and getting focused. Don't we want to give the player every chance to kick the goal and not have to worry about the game clock?

The old "I'm really having a shot from this far out, even though I'd barely make it with two kicks", milking an extra 15-20 seconds and then turning and chipping it 20m sideways... I wonder if another counter to that is "OK, but now that you're having a shot, it's play on if a teammate marks your kick."

Couldn't the umpire just blow time off as soon as a player makes it clear that they're trying a shot? You know, have a shot by all means, but you're not (legitimately) milking 20 extra seconds off the game clock, especially when they're trying to convince the umpire that they're really backing themselves to nail a shot from 65 metres out after running 12-15km at the end of a game and maybe like 2-3% of AFL players have that in their arsenal. That annoys me as much as the Ben Brown runway.

Not really sure why they can't make more use of blowing time off to stop the clock running down (especially in the last five minutes of a quarter, or even just the last quarter) when nothing's happening.

The other side of this is when a team has a shot when it's like, they're down by 14 points with three minutes to go and the forward has to speed up their whole routine to not let too much time run off the clock while they're lining things up and getting focused. Don't we want to give the player every chance to kick the goal and not have to worry about the game clock?

The old "I'm really having a shot from this far out, even though I'd barely make it with two kicks", milking an extra 15-20 seconds and then turning and chipping it 20m sideways... I wonder if another counter to that is "OK, but now that you're having a shot, it's play on if a teammate marks your kick."
yeah I reckon they can still have some things up to the discretion of the umpire. So if a player says he's having a shot but then passes it, then the opposition gets the ball. That would stop it fast. Or if he says he's having a shot and then kicks it to the top of the square then the oppo gets the ball. It's up to the umpire to decide if the player was having a legitimate shot on goal or not. I think its obvious when a player is passing or not.

yeah I reckon they can still have some things up to the discretion of the umpire. So if a player says he's having a shot but then passes it, then the opposition gets the ball. That would stop it fast. Or if he says he's having a shot and then kicks it to the top of the square then the oppo gets the ball. It's up to the umpire to decide if the player was having a legitimate shot on goal or not. I think its obvious when a player is passing or not.
I think those options are a little too harsh in practice. Like, the defending team should still be obliged to find an opponent and get their defensive structure right. I think there's times when a player would be genuinely planning to take the shot and then spots an option open up while midway through their routine and improvise.

By not paying the mark if a teammate marks it (but paying it if an opponent cuts it off), it'd have to be a pretty compelling option.

I think those options are a little too harsh in practice. Like, the defending team should still be obliged to find an opponent and get their defensive structure right. I think there's times when a player would be genuinely planning to take the shot and then spots an option open up while midway through their routine and improvise.

By not paying the mark if a teammate marks it (but paying it if an opponent cuts it off), it'd have to be a pretty compelling option.
Yeah but it's really the only way to stop that from happening in my opinion. I can't see a way around it. Once you say you're having a shot, you have a shot.

Just call it back if they pass, just as they do when a player plays on when they haven't gone over the mark
Edit* but then gets muddied if they go for a stabbing shot at goal that's marked by a teammate

Last edited:
Just call it back if they pass, just as they do when a player plays on when they haven't gone over the mark
As long as there isn't the time wasting element in play i.e. the umpire calls time off as soon as the player indicates that they're taking a shot, as opposed to the player saying they're taking a shot, milking 20-25 seconds and chipping it sideways or backwards and then time being blown off for the retaken free kick.

Maybe back in the day people thought Adam Goodes name was Adam Boodes

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is too much fawning over Daicos and Sheezel this year. Both great players but when you are designated kicker in the backline anyone could get 15-20 touches just from easy handball receives.

What Ashcroft is doing in the middle is more impressive than Sheezel.
I'm probably bias but I agree.
Personally I have always preferred players who win the hard ball/do the grunt work. I preferred both Cousins and Kerr to Judd when he was at the Eagles because those two fed him a fair bit. A team needs both kinds of players though.

On that note, I'm confused as to what is considered a contested possession now. It seems like you can get a contested possession without actually having anyone with in a couple of meters of you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back