What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Electricity prices are up in Australia mostly because of Gas prices increasing by 500% and no re-investment in old coal plants.
I would say electricity prices are up in Australia because we privatised energy so the incentive is for a higher profit margin than for cheap/affordable energy.

Because the Coal and Gas lobby told them too.

This is purely about stopping grid upgrades - and hence stopping investment in renewables - meaning gas and coal is all that is left.

That is all.
100% anyone who thinks this is for any reason other than keeping the mining lobby puppet masters happy is nothing more than LNP simp.

100% anyone who thinks this is for any reason other than keeping the mining lobby puppet masters happy is nothing more than LNP simp.
Dutton seems to think he has the political capital of peak John Howard where for some unfathomable reason his word was good enough for a lot of people. Hopefully he will be disabused of this fairly rapidly.

There's bite size information and then there's playing what I'd do if I won the lottery with our energy system which seems to be what Dutton is doing.

We just want more information. We need to have the debate to make an informed decision. We don't disagree with nuclear but are worried about the longer-term environment and economic ramifications. It's just not the right policy for Australia at this point in time.

If you don't know, vote no.

The Liberal Party, the National Party and the Minerals Council are the only organisations that have come out in support of yesterdays announcement.

That is all.

I actually have a new theory this morning.
  1. We know that the coal fire plants are close to end of life. They will be decommissioned before nuclear is available.
  2. James Paterson said on ABC Radio this morning that gas would be used to fill this gap. We are talking a massive baseload power gap here - so these gas plants will be huge pieces of infrastructure.
So my new theory is that this is just a rebranding of the "Gas Led Recovery".

The Liberals will build a series of interim gas power plants that are not interim at all. When push comes to shove they will say we have already built gas, it would be silly to abandon that, look - here is a carbon capture picture, and abracadabra - Australia is tied to fossil fuels forever.

Whatever the actual plan is - it is 100% for the benefit of the fossil fuel industry.

The Liberal Party, the National Party and the Minerals Council are the only organisations that have come out in support of yesterdays announcement.

That is all.

1. We know that the coal fire plants are close to end of life. They will be decommissioned before nuclear is available.
  2. James Paterson said on ABC Radio this morning that gas would be used to fill this gap. We are talking a massive baseload power gap here - so these gas plants will be huge pieces of infrastructure.

The Liberals will build a series of interim gas power plants that are not interim at all. When push comes to shove they will say we have already built gas, it would be silly to abandon that, look - here is a carbon capture picture, and abracadabra - Australia is tied to fossil fuels forever.

Whatever the actual plan is - it is 100% for the benefit of the fossil fuel industry.
Gas cant compete with solar or wind in the wholesale market. Gas can only be used as firming at best going foward, not base load. But gas doesnt help us meet our emission goals so they either have to retrofit it with CCS or dump it. And batteries are going to be cheaper then gas CCS for firming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is all.

Yes, precisely. Gas-led transition, not to mention a handout to end of life coal plant owners for their land which they have multi-million dollar liabilities to rehabilitate the land.

In one fell swoop, the LNP will give their coal donors a massive handout to buy toxic land and relieve them of their liabilities and land it all on the taxpayer, as well as a handout to gas.

This is a play for political donations, not electoral support. And it will work.

It was a really nice touch by Dutton and co to hold their press conference standing in front of the Australian Flag but no sign of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait island flags to be seen.
thats been standard coalition policy for a while I'm pretty sure

I just don't see how Albo doesn't absolutely wipe the floor with Dutton over this through the media. The coalition can't even get their story straight between its members.

There's bite size information and then there's playing what I'd do if I won the lottery with our energy system which seems to be what Dutton is doing.

Is he quoting from 1984 the Orwell novel?

Howard commissioned a report which is there for all to see. Maybe the tech of the stuff has changed but the governance has not

Is he quoting from 1984 the Orwell novel?

Howard commissioned a report which is there for all to see. Maybe the tech of the stuff has changed but the governance has not
I dare say the only association Dutton has ever had with 1984 is living through it.

I just don't see how Albo doesn't absolutely wipe the floor with Dutton over this through the media. The coalition can't even get their story straight between its members.
I dare say Labor are being very careful whilst they do their own polling.
D'Ambrosio in Victoria has already tried an initial scare campaign and got thoroughly roasted. Admittedly she is a terrible media performer.
The other thing to consider is there is real anger at Labor over their promise of reducing power prices at the last election. Any lecturing from Labor will just highlight this broken promise which I'm sure Labor are keen to make disappear.

I dare say Labor are being very careful whilst they do their own polling.
D'Ambrosio in Victoria has already tried an initial scare campaign and got thoroughly roasted. Admittedly she is a terrible media performer.
The other thing to consider is there is real anger at Labor over their promise of reducing power prices at the last election. Any lecturing from Labor will just highlight this broken promise which I'm sure Labor are keen to make disappear.
All Labor need to do is point people to the conga line of experts proclaiming this to be an absolutely ridiculous idea.

The place has been a thriving metropolis ever since.

View attachment 2024103

But of course, references to nuclear disasters like Chernobyl are ridiculous and bear no comparison to modern and safe nuclear plants.

Unless of course the funding, design, establishment, operation and maintenance of those plants has been done of the back of a politically motivated election idea without any sense of coherent planning.
Dutton: "The idea first came to me when my wife texted me, saying I was allowed to use the microwave at home... ☢️ :thumbsupemoji:"

All Labor need to do is point people to the conga line of experts proclaiming this to be an absolutely ridiculous idea.
I think everyone is heartily sick of 'experts' who disappear when their predictions are invariably wrong.
Nuclear is used in just about every western country in the world. That is something tangible that people can see. They also can see their power bills going up and if blackouts start occurring then they will add even more tangible weight.

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back