What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

One analysis I read is that he does ok with outer suburban voters that he spends his time trying to whip up fear in because he is authentically one of them. He doesn’t talk about reconciliation or complex societal issues because he also doesn’t care about them. He’s focussed on similar things to the people living pay check to pay check and is wary of experts.

He’s not a lawyer or an activist from the inner city of Melb/Syd so he’s claimed victory since the voice with a base which would include a lot of ALP seats the conservatives think are winnable. Most are on huge margins though.

The enshrining of the voice in the constitution was one of the lowest supported recommendations, from the survey based on around 1,000 responses.

One of the higher recommendations was the removal of s25 and the reference to race (which I support) which is interesting as it is the polar opposite of enshrining a voice based on race. It would have been interesting to hear the High Courts ruling on the legitimacy of a voice if s25 was removed.

In regards to reconciliation, the federal government's role is easy as it should encourage the states to come to a treaty and property rights damage claim (as property is a state issue not federal). Areas of WA have come to a treaty successfully and the federal government should simply pressure the states to follow.

The states however know the window of opportunity for a meaningful property rights settlement is closing, as the skill set gap between the current elders and the next generation is huge. Meaning when this generation dies, so to does any meaningful negotiation skills.

Governments would prefer to see indigenous people remain in the "gap". As hand outs, programs etc means a political weapon and votes. Resolving the gap by a property rights settlement and the more important "move forward" mindset that creates, empowers indigenous people but destroys a political weapon.

It is disgraceful that holding people down is more important for politics than resolving issues. We have seen the same with religions, charities and unions (note: not all religions, churches or unions are bad). Always be careful of groups that say they are here to help.

He’s also not very bright. God help us he rises further. Coalition leaders have got progressively worse, but surely the next one can’t be any worse
Yeah looks I'm no cheerleader of theirs but far out at least they had quite a few bright and capable people say ten years ago.

The cupboard is really bare now.

Geez, imagine the likes of Keating, Howard, taking on these Muppets.

Yeah, if he thinks the problem with moderates are that they are lawyers who can simply argue both sides, he also got to reckon with the fact he’s losing talented potential candidates who also could appeal to metropolitan voters.

I think if he had, half of Nick McKenzie's stuff wouldn't have been printed. Anyway, that's not how a good corporate board works. It sets strategic direction and leaves operational decisions to management. Costello left the Nine Entertainment Board because of poor behaviour outside of his work on the board.

So no, I don't think he exerted that kind of influence, and as far as the media wars are concerned, criticism of The Age, SMH and also the ABC (from both sides) is totally overblown.

it’s more nuanced than that, t.p. a strong board chair who appoints the ceo has considerable influence.

there was a move to the right in the news coverage due to who covers it. smethhurst is one example.

i’ve noticed it’s been less so since his departure. that may have a bit to do with falling circulation/ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back