What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw the story on multiple newscorp mastheads so this is confusing. I don't think newscorp are doing a very good job of keeping the family out of it.
Seems a divide between the “fact based” arm of newscorp (report what has happened) vs the “feelings based - ie opinion mongers” arm who are “leave duttons son alone”

I've always pegged Dutts as a heroin sort of parent, it's the only thing that could totally obliterate the reality of sharing dna with him

I do agree with the premise, politicians families are not public figures and should not be hounded by the media for their personal issues.

However when the reporting is used to point out the hypocrisy of not only the media but the politicians who demonise others for the same actions I can see why it is newsworthy.

I do agree with the premise, politicians families are not public figures and should not be hounded by the media for their personal issues.

However when the reporting is used to point out the hypocrisy of not only the media but the politicians who demonise others for the same actions I can see why it is newsworthy.
The hypocrisy is pathetic.

Albanese's son being a member of the Chairmans Lounge is a step too far.

Dutton's son posting bags of white powder on public social media is off limits though.

If politicians children are off limits - then they are all off limits.

Alan Jones and Gillard's father (died of shame) has to be the absolute low point of the glass jawed conservative media.

The same way as these sites have been ear-marked for other ventures once they close.
Were you under the impression that they would just be left derelict once they finished with coal?

There is a difference between close - decommission - rehabilitate - reuse

And;

Build a nuclear power plant while an existing and highly contaminated coal plant keeps running on the same site.

Are you being deliberately stupid or are you just stupid?

There are over 400 nuclear power sites around the world. I’m sure we will be able to work it out.

Honestly, some of the arguments against are starting to become unhinged, bordering on insane.

Happy to discuss costs, timings etc. they are worthwhile discussions.

Who's stupid, the person (QuietB) who understands the Libs are proposing building nuclear power stations on the site of a coal fired power station WHILE THE COAL FIRED POWER STATION IS APPARENTLY STILL OPERATIONAL ON THE SAME SITE (🤪) or the f***-knuckle who doesn't understand the difference? 🤔

Who's stupid, the person (QuietB) who understands the Libs are proposing building nuclear power stations on the site of a coal fired power station WHILE THE COAL FIRED POWER STATION IS APPARENTLY STILL OPERATIONAL ON THE SAME SITE (🤪) or the f***-knuckle who doesn't understand the difference? 🤔
This quote 👇 gets far too much out-of-context airtime on social media for my liking.

But it still works in many situations when you just get tired of arguing with ignorant fools.

1719479130379.png

(btw Dr Thomas Sowell is a prominent conservative economist who turns 94 on Sunday. Take the time to check out some of his provocative talks about inequality on YouTube. )

The hypocrisy is pathetic.

Albanese's son being a member of the Chairmans Lounge is a step too far.

Dutton's son posting bags of white powder on public social media is off limits though.

If politicians children are off limits - then they are all off limits.

Alan Jones and Gillard's father (died of shame) has to be the absolute low point of the glass jawed conservative media.
Targeted individual turnabout is fair play.
Therefore reasonable to conclude that jones family is ashamed of his shock jock efforts and his inappropriate behaviour with underage boys

Do you really think that’s what the proposal is?
Surely people can’t be this thick. Well actually they can sadly.

The VIC Govt is currently under a huge big build infrastructure project. Are you expecting them to halt all movement whilst this happens?

Infrastructure programs can operate concurrently you know. In fact they have to or else nothing would get built.

Engineers and blue collar workers come up against these issues every day. I know that’s hard for private school Greens voters to comprehend.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a number of factors at play:

• a huge part of the membership believe the reason we lose elections is that "we don't stand for things", and advocating for nuclear is "standing for something"
  • it's a clear point of difference from the ALP
  • I think most in the party believe that there is a lot of misconceptions about the safety of nuclear power (the old "others just aren't informed" trope we see all over the political spectrum)
  • it is baseload power with zero emissions

I believe there is more detail on the policy coming. The election isn't next week. But doing this sort of stuff from opposition is historically very difficult electorally

Do you really think that’s what the proposal is?
Surely people can’t be this thick. Well actually they can sadly.

The VIC Govt is currently under a huge big build infrastructure project. Are you expecting them to halt all movement whilst this happens?

Infrastructure programs can operate concurrently you know. In fact they have to or else nothing would get built.

Engineers and blue collar workers come up against these issues every day. I know that’s hard for private school Greens voters to comprehend.

So are you for or against a cap on the current infrastructure and investments in renewables?

There is a number of factors at play:

• a huge part of the membership believe the reason we lose elections is that "we don't stand for things", and advocating for nuclear is "standing for something"
  • it's a clear point of difference from the ALP
  • I think most in the party believe that there is a lot of misconceptions about the safety of nuclear power (the old "others just aren't informed" trope we see all over the political spectrum)
  • it is baseload power with zero emissions

I believe there is more detail on the policy coming. The election isn't next week. But doing this sort of stuff from opposition is historically very difficult electorally.
Hitching your decrepit rickety old horse drawn carriage to something not only insanely dangerous, but economically unviable and doomed to be redundant a decade before it exists is little more than a stunt from Dutton.
The fact he doesn't even remotely understand what a stupid policy he created on a whim is testament to what an abject moron and danger he is, personally, to the country.

I am not against nuclear energy at all.
It could have been a viable replacement for coal and gas 30 years ago.
The Libs never even considered it then because they always have been and still are the employees of the mining and fossil fuel industry. The Liberal party are their political arm.

Dutton, like all Liberal leaders, has yet again missed the boat and is living 30 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is advocating a cap. If it’s viable then why would I be against it. Happy for investors to spend whatever they want on it.

The people who want to use tax payers money to build the most expensive type of power generations, the LNP wants cap renewables and private investment into it.

The people who want to use tax payers money to build the most expensive type of power generations, the LNP wants cap renewables and private investment into it.

They want to cap taxpayer money. Nothing about private investment. If renewables stands up then they should have no problem getting private investment.

It’s private investment building renewables …
As opposed to the nuclear fairyland proposed by Communist Dutton.
Then I’m not sure of your point. If people want to spend their own money investing in renewables then why would I or anyone be against it. Defies logic.

Then I’m not sure of your point. If people want to spend their own money investing in renewables then why would I or anyone be against it. Defies logic.

Did you not read what the deputy leader of the opposition said?????
They want to stop private investment in renewables…

So you are saying you are against the cap. Good.

But he did not say that…

“We want to send the investment signals that there is a cap on where [the Coalition] will go with renewables and where we will put them,” he said.

FFS it doesn’t get any clearer what their intentions are ….
Are you being deliberately stupid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back