What's everyone think of that "Collllllinnnnnggggwoooood....colllllllliinnnngggwooooddd... .." chant

Remove this Banner Ad

IDIG

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll admit i don't got to many Collingwood games so this could've been going on for a decade but i heard it grand final night last year for the first time. Then at the nab final i heard it.

It's much more annoying than the whole gold jacket rubbish but i guess winners are grinners and they're pretty much untouchable atm but...

lets not forget how Geelong were regarded as arrogant during their golden period and i don't ever recall these type of chants, just the odd, poorly timed comment from their players and coaching staff.

Re: What's everyone think of that "Collllllinnnnnggggwoooood....colllllllliinnnngggwoooodd d... .." c

I really love it - at a full MCG, it sends chills up and down your spine. Its like the old terraces at Wembly listening to the glorious chants of the supporters urging on their team. Its also a little bit like the Nuremburg Rallies in the 1930's. Hmm, come to think of it, soccer hooligans, Facists thugs, ahhh, now I get it. Its the ravings of a group of deluded and mindless morons.

Re: What's everyone think of that "Collllllinnnnnggggwoooood....colllllllliinnnngggwoooodd d... .." c

Lame and embarassing. Sing the club song like most sporting franchises do. Just yelling the teams name out makes you look well too dumb to sing the club song

In the finals last year it was amazing. Spine tingling amazing however I wish we would park it until this years finals. Save it for really special moments and when we're playing for more than 4 points

Re: What's everyone think of that "Collllllinnnnnggggwoooood....colllllllliinnnngggwoooodd d... .."

Lame and embarassing. Sing the club song like most sporting franchises do. Just yelling the teams name out makes you look well too dumb to sing the club song

We should sing the song during the match :confused:

Now that would be arrogant :D

Re: What's everyone think of that "Collllllinnnnnggggwoooood....colllllllliinnnngggwoooodd d... .."

Although I hate the Pies I think it sounds great and it also sounded great when Melbourne did the same thing during the 1987 finals series on the way to smashing North Melbourne & Sydney.

It is 1000 times better than the "club name - clap-clap-clap" - I can't stand this one.

LOL at the fascist thugs/soccer hooligans comparison.

what are you on about ? the same chant can be heard on a regular basis at Subi.

well.. not so much a regular basis lately.. but when the eagles werent at the ass end of the ladder it could be heard. difference is it sounds much better when there are more than handful of people at the game as well

im also surprised you're encouraging the singing of your abortion of a club song

If essendon are in the position of having the game sewn up next monday....

I IMPLORE ALL ESSENDON SUPPORTERS TO START THE

ESSSSSEEENNNNNDDDOONNNNNNNNNN CHANT

its one thing i hate about collingwood...that they have the ability to do this chant.. i love it so much and i just want to be able to do it for essendon

what are you on about ? the same chant can be heard on a regular basis at Subi.

well.. not so much a regular basis lately.. but when the eagles werent at the ass end of the ladder it could be heard. difference is it sounds much better when there are more than handful of people at the game as well

im also surprised you're encouraging the singing of your abortion of a club song

I think the chant is lame when we do it too. I wouldnt sing our club song either. If it was up to me id change our club song back to the original

Huge fan on if it - the SYYYYYDDDDNNNNNEEEEEYYYYYYYY one is iconic and when the crowd starts it at the SCG it gives you shivers so totally get that the Pies faithful and other teams love doing it. At the 2005/2006 Granny's there was the slow Eeeaaaggggllllesssss along with ours and the atmosphere at the game was fantastic.

What did surprise me was going to Etihad to watch the Round 1 and realising that they play a recording of the COOOOLLLLIINNNGGGGWOOODDDDD thing over the load speaker with a wierd kind of drum line thing! Totally naff.

I remember the Swans being bagged mercilessly for playing recorded chants at the SCG in the 90s and being really embarrassed going to the footy with interstate friends.

Last year the Swans fans wrote to Club and asked them to stop broadcasting the Sydney version at Homebush. The fans position was that we would decide when we would let that chant out.

I say go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it's great - when it's in unison (and we are talking Collingwood supporters here, so that is not a given), the sheer weight of numbers makes it amazing.

Shitfight over who was first in the AFL to use it in 3, 2, 1...

First time I heard it for pies was 02 finals. There's a youtube video somewhere. Don't rly care though who started it first. Its notvthe most original chant. Effective though. Wonder what the players think of it

Would be cool if all teams had their own unique chant

What is exactly arrogant about it?

lets not forget how Geelong were regarded as arrogant during their golden period and i don't ever recall these type of chants, just the odd, poorly timed comment from their players and coaching staff.

You mean one person from the coaching staff.Why don't you mention that pricks name ?

Arrogant, Stupid and Obnoxious.

If thats the best they can come up with there is something wrong.

I love it. It is stirring. I loved Matty Scarletts comments on the radio last year when he said that the chant in the prelim in the 2nd quarter was haunting. He said all the Geelong players stopped and thought that is was astounding as it echoed through the G. Tom Harleys comments in the commentary box was 'Wow I have never heard anything like that'.

Arrogant, Stupid and Obnoxious.

If thats the best they can come up with there is something wrong.

A sure sign that it's working.

First time I heard it for pies was 02 finals. There's a youtube video somewhere. Don't rly care though who started it first. Its notvthe most original chant. Effective though. Wonder what the players think of it

Would be cool if all teams had their own unique chant

During last 2010 prelim the chant was awesome! The players did mention it and loved it. It was spine tingling! At AAMI Park after the Premiership was won the players belted the chant back to the crowd. We loved it!

I think it needs to used for "special" moments!

Totally agree. Sounds absolutely pathetic. I feel embarrassed to be an Aussie Rules fan when this starts up. If I was taking someone from overseas to a game I'd stay away from a Collingwood game for this reason alone.

Love it, sends Shivers up your spine. Good work pies!!

Chanting Essendon like that just doesn't work IMO doesn't sound to good LOL.

However we can be as loud as anybody when we want to be (Anzac Day 2009).

Remove this Banner Ad

What's everyone think of that "Collllllinnnnnggggwoooood....colllllllliinnnngggwooooddd... .." chant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back