What's going on with Carlton's list

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So of our potential "star" juniors we have:

Chris Yarran (significant time spent sidelined)
Matthew Kreuzer (recovering from knee injury, had some exceptional games)
Kane Lucas (played well early on but fell out of form)
Mitch Robinson (Injury plagued, consistent niggles)
Lachlan Henderson (Injury)
Jeremy Laidler (Played very well early but injured for year)
Matthew Watson (KPD early in career, played some very good games)
Levi Casboult (Really hit some form late, very few games, recovering from PCL)
Bryce Gibbs (Down year, performed better late)
Luke Mitchell (injured early)

So of all those potential place getters, 7 were injured, one is a KPD (who was injured for last 5 games) and the other 2 underperformed.

"star" implies potential BnF' place getters

Luke Mitchell hasn't even made his debut......3rd round draft pick with dodgy shoulders going to be a potential place getter?

Good post. I also agree that Carlton have no depth. From a development perspective, it was really disappointing to see that when Carlton got the injuries to their senior players earlier on in the year their younger players like Davies, White, Casboult etc were not good enough to come into the side and impact when they were needed most.

Thanks for the compliment "good post" but wow, how you missed the point. Re-read and I'll also spell it out for clarity...players like Davies, White, Casboult etc. WERE already on the injured list before our "best 22" players started going down. So whether they were "good enough" as you suggest is irrelevant - they were injured hence why skinny kids were given a run, like Bootsma. There hope it all makes sense!

Lol at where Judd and Murphy finished when each of them pretty much missed half the year. What a joke.

Lol at where Judd and Murphy finished when each of them pretty much missed half the year. What a joke.
Murphy missed 6 games and Judd missed 5 not exactly half the season.

I wonder if Pendles and Swanny will finish top 5 in the Copeland even though they missed a few games.

Good post. I also agree that Carlton have no depth. From a development perspective, it was really disappointing to see that when Carlton got the injuries to their senior players earlier on in the year their younger players like Davies, White, Casboult etc were not good enough to come into the side and impact when they were needed most.

White had 3 knee operations over summer and only got back in the last 6 weeks of the year and after a couple of games in the 2s, he made a impact playing in the seniors.
Davies - Injured for the majority of the year
Casboult - PCL injury in the pre season and missed the first 14 weeks of the season, played 2 in the reserves and then played 6 games in the seniors and made a significant impact before missing the last game with injury.

Results from Carlton's b&f:

1. Heath Scotland - 32
2. Eddie Betts - 25
3. Chris Judd -29
4. Brock Maclean - 26
5. Marc Murphy 25
6. Andrew Carazzo - 28
7. Kade Simpson - 28

The fact that there is not one player under the age of 25 in the top 7 of their b&f count has to be a huge concern. This is a club who in recent years has spent more time on the bottom of the ladder and had greater access to high draft picks than any other. Where are they? Why haven't any of them developed into the players that many thought they would come. Whose fault is it? The recruiters? The development staff? We should be seeing a side ready to peak and have a genuine tilt at the flag, yet instead all that exists is a veteran list on the cusp of collapse. Is this failure to develop youth now a crisis, and if so, how can Carlton go about changing what seems to be an entrenched culture of mediocrity?

Discuss.

Suppose one could lose a 24yo in Dawes for a declining 30yo in Lynch. That works.

That crappy, underdeveloped list with no depth crapped on your side twice. Thought you might've got a first hand look to understand that for yourself. seems it didn't sink in....lol!

Murphy missed 6 games and Judd missed 5 not exactly half the season.

I wonder if Pendles and Swanny will finish top 5 in the Copeland even though they missed a few games.
Just as an aside, it felt like he was out for nearly half the year when he wasn't. I had the impression (obviously without looking at stats) that he had missed more like 10 games

Just as an aside, it felt like he was out for nearly half the year when he wasn't. I had the impression (obviously without looking at stats) that he had missed more like 10 games

It really felt like it for us Blues supporters, until I just read that I thought Murphy had missed about 10 games too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit disappointed with the very defensive and ungracious responses from some of the Carlton posters. The O.P and other posters ( particularly the Collingwood ones ) were genuinely concerned about Carlton's list, and were seeking solutions to perceived problem areas. I don't think they deserved the vitriol that they received.

Bit disappointed with the very defensive and ungracious responses from some of the Carlton posters. The O.P and other posters ( particularly the Collingwood ones ) were genuinely concerned about Carlton's list, and were seeking solutions to perceived problem areas. I don't think they deserved the vitriol that they received.
Of course they were. How ungracious of us not to realise this. There goes a pig flying past my window.

What's going on with Carlton's list?

What we've been TELLING them would happen for years; that by placing too much emphasis on the midfield at the expense of quality talls they would not develop in the correct time frame.

You reap what you sow, Carlton's poorly balanced list is it's own doing.

What's going on with Carlton's list?

What we've been TELLING them would happen for years; that by placing too much emphasis on the midfield at the expense of quality talls they would not develop in the correct time frame.

You reap what you sow, Carlton's poorly balanced list is it's own doing.
Good post. It's interesting you mention recruiting strategy because Essendon took a very different approach by focussing primarily on recruiting quality tall players. It certainly appears to have paid off and Essendon are in a significantly better position for the future in spite of not having the same access to high draft picks.

This is all very productive imo. It certainly seems that most people in here agree with my op that the Carlton risk is in a state of crisis. Only time will tell how deep the rot has set

Good post. It's interesting you mention recruiting strategy because Essendon took a very different approach by focussing primarily on recruiting quality tall players. It certainly appears to have paid off and Essendon are in a significantly better position for the future in spite of not having the same access to high draft picks.

This is all very productive imo. It certainly seems that most people in here agree with my op that the Carlton risk is in a state of crisis. Only time will tell how deep the rot has set

No way is Essendon's list in better shape, next year they will have 2 really good talls, Hurley and Daniher, you could add Bellchambers as well. The rest are either trade bait (Hooker and Pears) or injury prone (Gumbleton). Crameri is a good forward but he has injury problems as well. I have no problem in admitting that Carlton has shit talls (Kreuzer the exception) but at least we have a midfield that can contend with the best.

What is wrong with this, I'm sure Collingwood will only have 2 or 3 under 25 players in there top 7. Beams,Thomas, maybe Wellingham
Pendlebury might squeeze into the top 7;). Sidebottom would also be there. In fact, if Collingwood's Copeland went like the B&F medal on the Collingwood board, 4 out of the top 7 in the B&F would be under 25: Sidey, Pendlebury, Blair and Beams, with Reid and Thomas being just outside the top 7

No way is Essendon's list in better shape, next year they will have 2 really good talls, Hurley and Daniher, you could add Bellchambers as well. The rest are either trade bait (Hooker and Pears) or injury prone (Gumbleton). Crameri is a good forward but he has injury problems as well. I have no problem in admitting that Carlton has shit talls (Kreuzer the exception) but at least we have a midfield that can contend with the best.
Apparently Carlton might be after Gumbleton (just a rumour)

Pendlebury might squeeze into the top 7;). Sidebottom would also be there. In fact, if Collingwood's Copeland went like the B&F medal on the Collingwood board, 4 out of the top 7 in the B&F would be under 25: Sidey, Pendlebury, Blair and Beams, with Reid and Thomas being just outside the top 7
Pendlebury missed half the season?? And I think Sidey didn't have a year as good as last but yeah he could make the top 7. I don't like to blame injuries but this year it was our younger players who got injured, not the older ones and this shows in the BnF results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back