What's going on with Carlton's list

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pendlebury missed half the season?? And I think Sidey didn't have a year as good as last but yeah he could make the top 7. I don't like to blame injuries but this year it was our younger players who got injured, not the older ones and this shows in the BnF results.
I guarantee you that Pendlebury will be top 7, only missed about 6 weeks, similar to Swan. Sidey will more than likely be top 7. He really dropped off in the back end of the season this year, but his 1st half was excellent

I guarantee you that Pendlebury will be top 7, only missed about 6 weeks, similar to Swan. Sidey will more than likely be top 7. He really dropped off in the back end of the season this year, but his 1st half was excellent
Steele's back half of the year could make him drop a bit but yes he had a great start to they year.

What's going on with Carlton's list?

What we've been TELLING them would happen for years; that by placing too much emphasis on the midfield at the expense of quality talls they would not develop in the correct time frame.

You reap what you sow, Carlton's poorly balanced list is it's own doing.
That's why you've beaten us just once since you dumped Knights.

It's a midfielder's game after Sydney's less talented spine took care of Hawthorn's A grade forwardline and onballers.

Is this thread serious?

Just takes a month injury to drop you a decent amount of places, and they had their fair share of those.

What I wanted when I created this thread was a constructive discussion to address the crisis of youth at the Carlton Football Club. What a didn't want was a collage of excuses from Carlton supporters on the state of their list. If you don't want to face reality go back to the Carlton board. We're problem solving here!

all that exists is a veteran list on the cusp of collapse. Is this failure to develop youth now a crisis, and if so, how can Carlton go about changing what seems to be an entrenched culture of mediocrity?

Lol constructive

Sorry but we're trying to solve problems here. Approach the questions with a new set of eyes and leave that sarcasm at the door.
There is no problem solving that needs to be done, maybe we need to have a look at the pies problems. Last 5 Grand Finals that the pies have played in, they have only won 1 of them. We need to problem solve this, why do they choke all the time. Help me solve this problem bigfooty?

That's why you've beaten us just once since you dumped Knights.

It's a midfielder's game after Sydney's less talented spine took care of Hawthorn's A grade forwardline and onballers.

The amusing part is, the whole football world sees now what I and a few others have been telling you for a while.

Geez I get a kick out of it.

Your list is rubbish.

Carlton will have to win a premiership in the next 2-3 years with this list before a major drop off. There has been some trolling in this thread but Carlton's best players all basically have 2-3 good years at most other than Murphy and I don't see the current youth filling that hole.

I like Robinson and rate him more than most. More midfield time will see him be a very good player imo. Kreuzer just needs time. Shown great things but his body has let him down. Also like the look of Henderson and Watson down back, they'll be a pretty decent combo in the future (if Henderson stays back). After that, it gets bleak. Lucas is nothing special and at most will be a solid rotation but not near their older crop. Yarran is very 'meh' for mine. I'm aware that he had injury issues this year but he will always be potential unless he really works on his game and is moved to a wing. Other than that, it is a whole bunch of 'played well in the VFL' and 'shown some glimpses'

The amusing part is, the whole football world sees now what I and a few others have been telling you for a while.

Your list is rubbish.
I'd share your concern if someone like Zaharakis was a John Nicholls Medallist at 21, Heppell was runner-up after an average year and Fletcher was still finishing third at 37.

Cheers turbo.
Carlton will have to win a premiership in the next 2-3 years with this list before a major drop off. There has been some trolling in this thread but Carlton's best players all basically have 2-3 good years at most other than Murphy and I don't see the current youth filling that hole.

I like Robinson and rate him more than most. More midfield time will see him be a very good player imo. Kreuzer just needs time. Shown great things but his body has let him down. Also like the look of Henderson and Watson down back, they'll be a pretty decent combo in the future (if Henderson stays back). After that, it gets bleak. Lucas is nothing special and at most will be a solid rotation but not near their older crop. Yarran is very 'meh' for mine. I'm aware that he had injury issues this year but he will always be potential unless he really works on his game and is moved to a wing. Other than that, it is a whole bunch of 'played well in the VFL' and 'shown some glimpses'
Ha ha.

Couldn't agree more. A substantial amount of the game plan revolves around the senior players, and although the younger players show glimpses, nothing really stands out. Although many castigate Judd, especially in recent times, I believe he plays a significant part, both on the field and off, particularly in the leadership sense, and once he goes, which will conveniently be when a lot of the other senior players depart, then the poo will hit the fan if a premiership has not been attained by that stage. It is an average list and a inability to draft and develop KPPs has stuffed the club big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your list is rubbish.
Yet for the 5th season in a row we have finished ahead of Essendon & smashed Essendon in 3 of our last 4 meetings. I'm pleased that you can get a kick out of finishing below Carlton year after year. If our list is rubbish, Essendon's is an absolute rabble, particularly with a 37 year old finishing Top 3 in the B&F & your best KP prospect being a player who is yet to be drafted.

Yet for the 5th season in a row we have finished ahead of Essendon & smashed Essendon in 3 of our last 4 meetings. I'm pleased that you can get a kick out of finishing below Carlton year after year. If our list is rubbish, Essendon's is an absolute rabble, particularly with a 37 year old finishing Top 3 in the B&F & your best KP prospect being a player who is yet to be drafted.

Your username is quite apt, 'medium size', Fletcher is a star, far beyond any Carlton player not named Judd. Even so, he's clearly better than Judd today, despite starting his career what, ten years earlier?

We have the game's best player (if Ablett will allow me some liberty with this claim), Hurley and Carlisle both leave any Carlton tall for dead, Ryder is simply 'vastness' ahead of Kreuzer (I thought he was supposed to be a star).... and Gibbs..... has Heppell already gone past him? LOL.......

Zaharakis, Crameri, Hibberd, Bellchambers..... do you have ANY quality players at the Blues?

Oh wait, Carazzo isn't bad. :D

Tell me again, oh mod of the Carlton board, how we were told by some that Jobe would 'maybe' make the Carlton midfield ahead of Touhy?

Why is your username amusing? Because as Carlton started it's rise up the ladder, I commented that they could only go so far - a good midfield for sure, but you need the supporting talls to consistently beat the best - and you neglected to recruit them. A 'medium' sized team.

Our list on the other hand, handicapped by injury fell into a hole, but is vastly superior to yours.

The REALLY funny part? It isn't even debatable anymore; no one would want yours ahead of ours - some like to say your chance is now, or has just past; the reality - you never had one. :p

Essendon have done a terrific job in developing their list the last 2-3 years. I for one am happy to admit that I was wrong in my criticism of their recruiting strategy the last 3-5 years. Noone doubted the talent of their young key position players, it was the midfield that was the concern. However Goddard, I believe, will turn the midfield into something which will be around finals standard and be the final piece in the jigsaw for them to becoming a quality finals side. With a decent midfield next season they'll have a very balanced list capable of competing with the top sides over the whole season.

Carlton on the other hand, have a very good midfield and nothing else. They also have horrible depth. I think a fair criticism of Carlton would be of their lack of patience in developing their own draft picks. To often they have been prepared to trade in order to acquire mature aged players like Judd and Maclean. Long term this hasn't worked out for them and might have cost them a premiership. You only have to imagine what their side would be like if they hadn't let Kennedy, Jacobs and a multitude of draft picks go in order to acquire these players. To compound this they have failed miserably in developing the young players they have decided to keep. Bryce Gibbs is an unmitigated disaster. Kreuzer is overrated, especially so when you could have had Cothin. Walker is a disappointment, as is Yarran. The list goes on and on.

When is Carlton going to realize that success isn't about short term measures and instant gratification. It is built over years, with patience and faith in the clubs direction and development. The failure of the fat cats on the Carlton board to recognize this has not only starved the club of success in the past decade, but certainly will continue well into this decade.I doubt they will make the 8 next season up against clubs with better development programs and more faith in their system.

Discuss.

Essendon have done a terrific job in developing their list the last 2-3 years. I for one am happy to admit that I was wrong in my criticism of their recruiting strategy the last 3-5 years. Noone doubted the talent of their young key position players, it was the midfield that was the concern. However Goddard, I believe, will turn the midfield into something which will be around finals standard and be the final piece in the jigsaw for them to becoming a quality finals side. With a decent midfield next season they'll have a very balanced list capable of competing with the top sides over the whole season.

Carlton on the other hand, have a very good midfield and nothing else. They also have horrible depth. I think a fair criticism of Carlton would be of their lack of patience in developing their own draft picks. To often they have been prepared to trade in order to acquire mature aged players like Judd and Maclean. Long term this hasn't worked out for them and might have cost them a premiership. You only have to imagine what their side would be like if they hadn't let Kennedy, Jacobs and a multitude of draft picks go in order to acquire these players. To compound this they have failed miserably in developing the young players they have decided to keep. Bryce Gibbs is an unmitigated disaster. Kreuzer is overrated, especially so when you could have had Cothin. Walker is a disappointment, as is Yarran. The list goes on and on.

When is Carlton going to realize that success isn't about short term measures and instant gratification. It is built over years, with patience and faith in the clubs direction and development. The failure of the fat cats on the Carlton board to recognize this has not only starved the club of success in the past decade, but certainly will continue well into this decade.I doubt they will make the 8 next season up against clubs with better development programs and more faith in their system.

Discuss.
But we beat you twice,2nd point you recruited Lynch now thats what i would call unmitigated disaster.

But we beat you twice,2nd point you recruited Lynch now thats what i would call unmitigated disaster.

So what?

Collingwood won a flag in 2010, and finished top four in 2011 and 2012.

We beat Geelong last year....

The fact that victories over specific teams is all that Carlton has to hang it's hat on is all the testament you need......

So what?

Collingwood won a flag in 2010, and finished top four in 2011 and 2012.

We beat Geelong last year....

The fact that victories over specific teams is all that Carlton has to hang it's hat on is all the testament you need......
Who yanked your chain WTF has your team achieved Goddard are you serious,you guys are shitting yourself.

Jade, didn't you claim that hawthorn had a deplorable list at the start of the year? Don't go around claiming you're the bloody oracle.

Carltons list isn't great but essendons isn't much better. In terms of quality inside midfielders there is Watson, Goddard, Howlett and ummmm.......

Carlton has recently shown Essendon that it's fine to have good talls but it means jack if you can't get the ball to them in the first place

Jade, didn't you claim that hawthorn had a deplorable list at the start of the year? Don't go around claiming you're the bloody oracle.

Carltons list isn't great but essendons isn't much better. In terms of quality inside midfielders there is Watson, Goddard, Howlett and ummmm.......

Carlton has recently shown Essendon that it's fine to have good talls but it means jack if you can't get the ball to them in the first place

Essendon's list is in a much better position to improve though. Carlton's has really peaked as evidenced by the op which stated that the top 7 in the b&f were all over 25. They are a borderline top 8 side at their best.

Essendon's list is in a much better position to improve though. Carlton's has really peaked as evidenced by the op which stated that the top 7 in the b&f were all over 25. They are a borderline top 8 side at their best.
If this is the case why the hell does any one else care, i certainly dont! 2013 everyone is O from O and peaked and burnt out would probably be Pies, Q Lynch seriously.

Actually I made two claims/predictions (around very emotive language):

1) Hawthorn would not win the flag in 2012 (tick)
2) Hawthorn would be closer to bottom six than top six in 2013 (which in reality means finish ninth or lower).

If this is the case why the hell does any one else care, i certainly dont! 2013 everyone is O from O and peaked and burnt out would probably be Pies, Q Lynch seriously.
Why are Carlton supporters so hung up about Q Lynch. You wanted him just as much but he chose us. Don't be so bitter. And before you say "we didn't want him", surely if you had of got your man you wouldn't now be looking at bringing in Raph Clark

Why are Carlton supporters so hung up about Q Lynch. You wanted him just as much but he chose us. Don't be so bitter. And before you say "we didn't want him", surely if you had of got your man you wouldn't now be looking at bringing in Raph Clark
our CEO has quashed the story that we wanted Clarke, please stop using false rumors as evidence in arguments just because some twat posted it on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back