What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVER PLAYED THE GAME MATE? TOUGHEST THING IN FOOTY IS TO KEEP YOUR HEAD OVER THE BALL AND WIN IT AT ALL COST , WE TRY AND INSTILL THIS INTO OUR KIDS , I THINK WHERE ON THE RIGHT TRACK SNIPER :thumbsu:

hey square dog do you believe that the reason maryborough never have an under 18's side is because of the so called great man that looks like shrek??? i have no doubt that shrek should stop playing. what is he doing for the club? does he even get those big fat legs off the ground and kick the footy??

It's normal for practice matches in March to get bigger crowds than games in winter.

I am personally sorry to see Gisborne leave but I can understand their reasons. I think the Bendigo Board should have gone after Sunbury which would have negated the Ballarat attraction.

If Gisborne is cleared then I think the Bendigo Board should go after Rochester. They need a powerful country club and afterall they have six (greater Bendigo) clubs just down the road from Rochester - a lot closer than the likes of Mansfield and Seymour.

Nothing against the BFL but Rochy are on top the GV ladder and won the flag last year. GV is alot stronger than BFL and they would give GS or South a fair touch up.

Nothing against the BFL but Rochy are on top the GV ladder and won the flag last year. GV is alot stronger than BFL and they would give GS or South a fair touch up.
Maybe, maybe not. In the 1960's (yes I know I am going back a long way) Golden Square v Rochester games were epic - just epic. Nothing today comes within a bull's roar of them and that incudes Gisborne v Sunbury!

Anyway the point I really want to make is if Gisborne is cleared to the Ballarat League on the basis of its closer proximity to clubs in that league then the Bendigo Board could run the exact same argument with Rochester. I realise if Rochester doen't want to leave the GVFL then the whole thing collapes like a pack of cards but why not at least start with an approach (if Gisborne is cleared). 'Nothing ventured nothing gained'.

In recent years the Board has been prepared to just let things just drift along. (Strath's entry was at its own initiative). The Goldfields proposal wasn't even put to the clubs by the Board despite ALL the existing country clubs being open to discussing it when approached by the Bendigo Advertiser.

The trouble is this rudderless drifting is taking the league further and further away froms the likes of the Ovens & Murray, Goulburn Valley, Ballarat etc etc. It is painful to watch. Gisborne leaving will add to the pain. If there is anyone out there who is happy with the present direction of the Bendigo League now is the time to put your case.

Don't care what anyone says, Golden Square would hold there own against any GV side. the GV has good depth which the BFL hasn't got but. I'm prepared to cop some flack over this, i rate the O&M alot more

Don't care what anyone says, Golden Square would hold there own against any GV side. the GV has good depth which the BFL hasn't got but. I'm prepared to cop some flack over this, i rate the O&M alot more
You are 100% correct Max. GV does have greater depth than the BFNL but South & Square would clearly be a handful for anyone in the GV.
O&M is a class above all others.

Square actually should have been the team to represent the area in the VFL not the Bombers as they are a 'real club' like North Ballarat.

Well done to the Dragon boys for a great win yesterday. Bitter sweet of course. Castlemaine and 1 pt loss to Gissy cost us a fairytale comeback to the finals after last years shamozzle.

Predicting finals 2010 - Jon Coghlan back after a knee reco, Mick Cornish back from overseas, all the young kids have had a years experience in the seniors and what looks like minimal losses from list of 50 means a competitive Hurst unit.

Of course, still 2-3 key position blokes short, but we've got all Spring and Summer to work on that.

Reserves in the finals, Thirds finished second so good depth coming through. Overall, 2009 was a good year. Good, but not great.

Well done to the Dragon boys for a great win yesterday. Bitter sweet of course. Castlemaine and 1 pt loss to Gissy cost us a fairytale comeback to the finals after last years shamozzle.

Predicting finals 2010 - Jon Coghlan back after a knee reco, Mick Cornish back from overseas, all the young kids have had a years experience in the seniors and what looks like minimal losses from list of 50 means a competitive Hurst unit.

Of course, still 2-3 key position blokes short, but we've got all Spring and Summer to work on that.

Reserves in the finals, Thirds finished second so good depth coming through. Overall, 2009 was a good year. Good, but not great.
I hope the dragons can keep Lee Coughlan Doc as I presume the Bombers and other VFL clubs would be interested in him. I personally think Mark Fitzpatrick is also a very important player even though he doesn't kick big bags of goals. When you think about it they only have to retain their current level to make the finals in 2010 (if Gisborne go) but it would be nice to be able to take it up to South & Square who are really a class above the other 2009 finalists.

Despite Kyneton's woes I think Castlemaine were the most disappointing team in the competition this year and I see Maryborough as another team with a loads of potential. Like Sandhurst they would need to keep their good young players (not always easy) and add a few good recruits.

Strath's first year was pretty good even though they fell away. It will be really interesting to see how they follow 2009 up - as it will be observing Gisborne's performance in the Ballarat league assuming they are cleared.

I hope the dragons can keep Lee Coughlan Doc as I presume the Bombers and other VFL clubs would be interested in him. I personally think Mark Fitzpatrick is also a very important player even though he doesn't kick big bags of goals. When you think about it they only have to retain their current level to make the finals in 2010 (if Gisborne go) but it would be nice to be able to take it up to South & Square who are really a class above the other 2009 finalists.

Despite Kyneton's woes I think Castlemaine were the most disappointing team in the competition this year and I see Maryborough as another team with a loads of potential. Like Sandhurst they would need to keep their good young players (not always easy) and add a few good recruits.

Strath's first year was pretty good even though they fell away. It will be really interesting to see how they follow 2009 up - as it will be observing Gisborne's performance in the Ballarat league assuming they are cleared.

wrong call there kyneton by far the most disappointing team

Gisborne will stay in Bendigo

do you not think that a change of scenery would renew intrest down at a club that is struggling atm.

bigger matches against old rivals

i called in to watch the last qrt on saturday and was gobsmacked by the crowd.
there wouldve have been at absolute best 30 people standing around the bar area, also there wouldve been lucky to have been 40 cars around the ground. this was by far the worst crowd i have ever seen at the gardiner oval.
now if crowds are like that every week then surely something has to be done, there was no atmosphere around the place at all, gisborne kicked a goal and not a clap or a cheer or even a blow of the old car horn dead silent.
that to me was the biggest suprise, shows that the passionate people have left .
i personally hope they make the move to the ball fl because if they dont i can see a ship that is sinking at a rapid rate of knots currently , turning into a diaster zone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame them.

At all.

Tell me DD, who is actually allowed to play in your little Bendigo League?

best idea in a long time that was brushed aside was the goldfields league

was a perfect set up , but wasnt given a seconds consideration by the top knob jockeys.

in the goldfields set up your disgusting side would have been playing in a level were you may just actually sneak home and win a few games, instead of producing the piss poor performances that you have for many years now against sides that are cleary many rungs above you in the way of having actuall talent on the ground.

Watched the Marybough v Flat game and was an enjoyable game. Big crowd as well but another incident from a Maryborough player with a red card being produced, can anyone confirm he was charged for kicking?

Can any one advise if there is an offcial investigation into last weeks Baird incident or has it been dismissed as an accident?

Watched the Marybough v Flat game and was an enjoyable game. Big crowd as well but another incident from a Maryborough player with a red card being produced, can anyone confirm he was charged for kicking?

Can any one advise if there is an offcial investigation into last weeks Baird incident or has it been dismissed as an accident?
Yes, the Golden Square coach said 'We're going to take this to the league because he's a great kid who plays fair footy and there was no need for that incident to happen'. (Bendigo Advertiser August 17).

So have Golden Square taken this matter to the league or not?

best idea in a long time that was brushed aside was the goldfields league

was a perfect set up , but wasnt given a seconds consideration by the top knob jockeys.

in the goldfields set up your disgusting side would have been playing in a level were you may just actually sneak home and win a few games, instead of producing the piss poor performances that you have for many years now against sides that are cleary many rungs above you in the way of having actuall talent on the ground.
A little bit of mischief, but if the Goldfields competition went ahead in 2010 the lines ups would be:

DIVISION ONE

Darley
Eaglehawk
East Point
Golden Square
Gisborne
Kangaroo Flat
Lake Wendouree
South Bendigo
Sunbury

DIVISION TWO

Bacchus Marsh
Ballarat
Castlemaine
Kyneton
Maryborough
Melton
Melton South
North Ballarat City
Sebastopol
Sandhurst
Strathfieldsaye

In Division two either Kyneton or Sebastopol is going to get off the bottom of the ladder. Both could reasonbly expect to to win more games than 2009 (one). South & Square just wouldn't walk into the grandfinal - they would have the likes of Redan & Darley to compete with. We would still see Gisborne playing Eaglehawk and the likes.

Atlas the Bendigo Board won't even discuss it because according to Stephen Oliver 'it is in a healthy state'. (Bendigo Advertiser 14 October 2008).

Well I am glad Stephen Oliver is not my family doctor!

Luke West in the same edition stated 'I don't believe the competition is lopsided or that the grand final teams have become predictable'. Does anyone agree with Luke?

A little bit of mischief, but if the Goldfields competition went ahead in 2010 the lines ups would be:

DIVISION ONE

Darley
Eaglehawk
East Point
Golden Square
Gisborne
Kangaroo Flat
Lake Wendouree
South Bendigo
Sunbury

DIVISION TWO

Bacchus Marsh
Ballarat
Castlemaine
Kyneton
Maryborough
Melton
Melton South
North Ballarat City
Sebastopol
Sandhurst
Strathfieldsaye

I've liked the idea since day dot, it would be a really strong league and i don't think the travel would be unacceptable compared to other leagues.
Love the relegation/promotion idea aswell. Surely it's worthy of some thought?

Yes, the Golden Square coach said 'We're going to take this to the league because he's a great kid who plays fair footy and there was no need for that incident to happen'. (Bendigo Advertiser August 17).

So have Golden Square taken this matter to the league or not?
yes investigation was to start Monday, video evidence is pretty conclusive

Being the CEO do you think Ollie would come out and say the competition is not healthy.
We all know that since we have paid full time people to run football in this region the standard of football including the administration has declined.

DIVISION ONE

Darley
Eaglehawk
East Point
Golden Square
Gisborne
Kangaroo Flat
Lake Wendouree
Redan
South Bendigo
Sunbury

DIVISION TWO

Bacchus Marsh
Ballarat
Castlemaine
Kyneton
Maryborough
Melton
Melton South
North Ballarat City
Sebastopol
Sandhurst
Strathfieldsaye

I've liked the idea since day dot, it would be a really strong league and i don't think the travel would be unacceptable compared to other leagues.
Love the relegation/promotion idea aswell. Surely it's worthy of some thought?

Once the clubs get used to the idea of not playing traditional rivals, this will be a great set-up. Only drawback is every 2 or so weeks, you have to drive between 1-2 hours for a game

Once the clubs get used to the idea of not playing traditional rivals, this will be a great set-up. Only drawback is every 2 or so weeks, you have to drive between 1-2 hours for a game

true it will create more travel but have a look at the two divisions above that have been posted

there would be great games of footy week in week out and i think you would find that there wouldnt be any more absolute hidings.

the promotion of the best side in the second division and the demotion of the side finishing last in div 1 would create interest each year.

if oliver thinks bendigo footy is in good shape then its time for him to stand down and let someone who has the passion and drive to see that teams from the bfl get to play in the best possible league against the best possible sides , the goldfields league creates a much much stronger comp, an even comp also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back