What's happening in the Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picklesmeoldmate said:
Kangaroo Flat has signed mark dickens as a non-playing assistant coach for next year.

No fooling u Pickles, thats old news matey.

Head off to trg tonight at the Flat and u will c Marks old mate, Salakowski sniffing around, 100% guarntee it..

Picklesmeoldmate said:
Kangaroo Flat has signed mark dickens as a non-playing assistant coach for next year.

can you guys give me a run down on this bloke please? Is this a good pick up for the Flat?

Rushy Tiger said:
Correct about the tongue in cheek. May have been in a good paddock over the gym tho. Tries to lose a bit when having dance offs in Universal with Lenny Schmitt though

a bit like ya self i hear "rushy tige". knighta looks and is probably one of the fittest at south's training so far from wat i have seen. plus i don't think a few extra kilos will affect him as he was a rake last year anyway.

caveman said:
can you guys give me a run down on this bloke please? Is this a good pick up for the Flat?

from seymour

Coached Seymour ressies mid 90's
played seymour 1s and 2s for a fair few years
Coached Avenel seniors (Doona2 can comment here)
Coached nagambie Seniors - set them up for when they won back to back flags in 98/99

done some assistant work at seymour as well, should be good as a guide for the young blokes at the club.

hope it goes well for the flat

New assistant for Roos

Luke West
Thursday, 15 December 2005

KANGAROO Flat has appointed Mark Dickens as a non-playing assistant coach for the 2006 All Seasons Bendigo Football League season.
It's understood Dickens was one of the applicants for the coaching job after it was vacated by Damien Brown, who has since been reappointed as the Roos' senior coach.

Dickens has previously been an assistant coach with Goulburn Valley Football League club Seymour, while he is also a former coach of Kyabram District Football League clubs Avenel and Nagambie.

"He will be a very valuable acquisition to the club," Kangaroo Flat president Paul Brooks said yesterday.

"He brings a bit of fresh blood to the off-field side of things to help Browny.

"He will be good for us, and he has the same philosophy as the committee of developing our juniors and looking at the bigger picture, rather than looking at short-term fixes, so hopefully, the rewards will come."The Roos will open the 2006 season on Good Friday when they travel to Canterbury Park to take on Eaglehawk on April 14.

In further BFL news, Kyneton has announced it has signed Shannon Carroll from Essendon District Football League club Aberfeldie.

Carroll is a utility player who can play at either end of the ground.

"He will bring some experience to our footy club," Tigers' coach Neville Massina said.

The Tigers have three players - Mark Scerri, Guy Orton and Brian Ruffell - training with the Bendigo Bank Bombers.

Massina says star full-forward Steven Reaper has indicated he will line up for the Tigers again next year, although he will have to work around his VCFL commitments.

Meanwhile, the BFL is unlikely to fill Brett Fitzpatrick's position on the board until after Christmas.

Fitzpatrick last week resigned from the board to take up a position as a director with the Victorian Country Football League board.

Fitzpatrick joins Hamilton's Gerard Lucas and Ballarat's Tim Bunning as new directors on the VCFL board.

The BFL will speak to two people about filling the position vacated by Fitzpatrick, but it's unlikely any appointment will be made until after Christmas.

Whoever is appointed to the board will be up for re-election at next year's annual general meeting.

The BFL's first meeting with its clubs next year will be held on February 10, where one of the topics on the agenda will be the prospect of playing night finals at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.

The league's fixture has the qualifying final and second semi-final slated as night games at this stage.

heard a rumour that kyneton have approached a few young blokes from the RDFL does anybody know of this? who they are or from which clubs

Couldnt get down 2 trg last night, could anyone tell me if Mark Salakowski from Shep was giving the Flat the once over.?

Hank, you might be able to help here, has Troy Auld always had problems with his feet or was it the dance moves that have done it? I know he used to pop Voltaren like tic-tacs. Had a reasonable year in the 2's for South last year but seemed to struggle after the games due to alleged foot problems. Always surprised to see him carving up the dance floor that night....

HJ32 said:
from seymour

Coached Seymour ressies mid 90's
played seymour 1s and 2s for a fair few years
Coached Avenel seniors (Doona2 can comment here)
Coached nagambie Seniors - set them up for when they won back to back flags in 98/99

done some assistant work at seymour as well, should be good as a guide for the young blokes at the club.

hope it goes well for the flat

Pffh Nagambie copped two 15-20 drubbling under Dickens in the '97' finals thats why he didn't coach them again. He aint got much to offer Flat in my opinion.

On The Money said:
Pffh Nagambie copped two 15-20 drubbling under Dickens in the '97' finals thats why he didn't coach them again. He aint got much to offer Flat in my opinion.

just on that year at Naggers - didnt they have about 20 blokes missing with a hepatitus epademic? I think you'll find they did well just to get to the finals that year..... and they did win back to back following that.

HJ32 said:
just on that year at Naggers - didnt they have about 20 blokes missing with a hepatitus epademic? I think you'll find they did well just to get to the finals that year..... and they did win back to back following that.

No that was 1996 the year before that the guys got crook. They sat on the pace all year in 97 and toppled badly in September. And your right they did win back to back in 98 & 99 but they were topped up with cattle that Premiership coaches Aldous and Auld injected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

randallbone said:
Hank, you might be able to help here, has Troy Auld always had problems with his feet or was it the dance moves that have done it? I know he used to pop Voltaren like tic-tacs. Had a reasonable year in the 2's for South last year but seemed to struggle after the games due to alleged foot problems. Always surprised to see him carving up the dance floor that night....

Has been a little injury prone over the past couple of years, but yes does seem to find his feet once presented with a dance floor to carve up.
Might be looking to save himself next year and just coach from the sidelines to have himself 100% for the nights activities.

On The Money said:
No that was 1996 the year before that the guys got crook. They sat on the pace all year in 97 and toppled badly in September. And your right they did win back to back in 98 & 99 but they were topped up with cattle that Premiership coaches Aldous and Auld injected.

True true, just a couple of handy addititons to the 98, 99 sides.

Loveless, Trav Auld, Bibby Doolan, Baryzka, (more than likely spelt it wrong)
Brent Clydy, Chris Malone, (Bushies),Mick Roberts and Lachy McCleod.

I SEE today another useful footballer has been lost to Bendigo.
Elliott Bowen, who had a gallop or 2 for the BFL's K. Flat when not required in VFL ranks for the Diggers/Bombers, has joined the ever-expanding ex-BFL list at Rochie.
David Williams is very handy when it comes to recruiting top players from the BFL --- Daniel "Lenny" Schmidt, Clint Whitsed are 2 who come to mind.
Bowen is quoted in 2day's print media as saying the GVFL is regarded by a high percentage of players as being the top country footy league in Victoria. Doesn't seem all that long ago when a rep. BFL squad would trounce the Purple and Golds.

Jock Clark 2 said:
Elliott Bowen, who had a gallop or 2 for the BFL's K. Flat when not required in VFL ranks for the Diggers/Bombers, has joined the ever-expanding ex-BFL list at Rochie.
David Williams is very handy when it comes to recruiting top players from the BFL --- Daniel "Lenny" Schmidt, Clint Whitsed are 2 who come to mind.
Bowen is quoted in 2day's print media as saying the GVFL is regarded by a high percentage of players as being the top country footy league in Victoria. Doesn't seem all that long ago when a rep. BFL squad would trounce the Purple and Golds.

Nothing against the BFL, but just when are we talking about? The GV has been a pretty good league for some years (more than 15), arguably one of the best two regional leagues outside VFL football. The other problem Bendigo FL seems to have is that the money being offered in the GV is more than most clubs can match. Hard to attract ex AFL players when they can play a higher standard for more money...

Jock Clark 2 said:

One of the dumbest calls on this thread and there are a few. The BFL rep team wouldn't come within 10 goals of the GVFL rep team - not now, not in the last 15 years.

The reason that I heard rochy are picking up a lot of Bendigo boys is primarily due to the coaching ability of David Williams. From what the bendigo boys have stated, Williams is a very intense coach (bit of white line fever) and extremely well prepared. Heard Gary Lyon describe Williams as the Kevin Sheedy of Country footy.....

Before the BFL can move back in with the big leagues they will need to stop paying big money for average players and get a little more professional.

Wisper said:
One of the dumbest calls on this thread and there are a few. The BFL rep team wouldn't come within 10 goals of the GVFL rep team - not now, not in the last 15 years.

The reason that I heard rochy are picking up a lot of Bendigo boys is primarily due to the coaching ability of David Williams. From what the bendigo boys have stated, Williams is a very intense coach (bit of white line fever) and extremely well prepared. Heard Gary Lyon describe Williams as the Kevin Sheedy of Country footy.....

Before the BFL can move back in with the big leagues they will need to stop paying big money for average players and get a little more professional.

Here Here the BFL is heading nowhere fast but backwards and i believe that someone needs to do something. There are a lot of average footballers in the league that think their ******** don't stink, No wonder players such as Bowen are heading to other leagues to continue their playing days.

why is the BFL shizenhousen?

too many clubs in bendigo

to make the bfl strong again, they should go down the line like Football Geelong did. Have the BFL, HDFL and LVFL all under the one banna.

HJ32 said:
why is the BFL shizenhousen?

too many clubs in bendigo

to make the bfl strong again, they should go down the line like Football Geelong did. Have the BFL, HDFL and LVFL all under the one banna.

I might get murdered for this suggestion but i agree with HJ32, but have it with a relegation and promotion from the lower leagues to give the teams from HDFL and LVFL who perform well a chance to play in a better league and teams who don't perform in BFL then have to go down to a lower league??

Doubt many people will like this idea, but it is just a thought!!

sharpy43 said:
I might get murdered for this suggestion but i agree with HJ32, but have it with a relegation and promotion from the lower leagues to give the teams from HDFL and LVFL who perform well a chance to play in a better league and teams who don't perform in BFL then have to go down to a lower league??

Doubt many people will like this idea, but it is just a thought!!

Mate I completely agree with you! :thumbsu:

new footballing revolution to bendigo - Football Bendigo Region

Division 1

Sandhurst
South Strathfieldsaye
Eaglehawk
Golden Square
Kyneton
Castlemaine
Maryborough
Gisborne
North rat Juniors
Kang Flat

now here's where the controversy arrives :

Division 2 (merged clubs)

Inglewood/Bridgy
Marong/Newbridge
Pyramid/Mitiamo
Elmore/locky
Huntly/Nth Bendigo
YCW/White Hills
BlSerp/Calivil
Mounts/Colbo
Heathcote***

The 'coates the only club who would stand alone simply because of population.
Broadford would join the newly reformed Waranga North East Comp.

Bendigo Clubs will be stronger again because of less clubs around it....
Country clubs will be viable with plenty of player numbers and support

would make Bendigo area a VCFL superpower again....

thoughts? baring in mind you should only comment on this if you have an open mind and can see the bigger picture, rather than just thinking of the rival club you may have to merge with!

:D C'MON guys. It was 1989 (that's 16 years ago, so I'm out by one year) when Bendigo's Blue and Golds defeated Geelong to win the Div. 1 country champs. Four years later -- yep, that's right, 1993 -- they played Geelong again in the Div 1 grannie but lost this time.
Bendigo was coached by Peter Hinck (ex-Geelong West in the old VFA) in the '93 play-off. Not a sniff of the GVFL in either of those grannies.
As recently as 2003, Bendigo played a Div. 1 semi-final on the MCG as a June curtain-raiser to an AFL game.
BTW, Bendigo is 90,000 souls -- Shepp. would be lucky to be half that size. Maybe edge towards the 50,000 mark if the entire fruit-growing GV region was added on to Shepp's. size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back