Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

RRR is the first Indian movie I've watched in a long time.

It was very good! Some awesome action scenes that Hollywood could learn from. The music was also amazing.

On Netflix if anyone is curious but they have it dubbed in Hindi instead of its original language.

You can watch the original language scenes in Youtube, particularly the dance scene

Ambulance was absolutely awful so this feel like a bad sign.
Ambulance was a movie that if you are going to take seriously you are not going to like it. I rate it the best action film this century and i am not joking. I am not the only one with that opinion but i an understand why people wouldnt like it.

BULLET TRAIN
5/10
Tarratino versus Guy Ritchie.
Sound atrocious.
Brad Pitt plays the same wooden character as in every other movie he's been in.
Plot= boobkas
Direction=boobkas.
Ending= Average.

Ambulance was a movie that if you are going to take seriously you are not going to like it. I rate it the best action film this century and i am not joking. I am not the only one with that opinion but i an understand why people wouldnt like it.
The only enjoyment i got was from ripping on it but its not self aware enough to realise its stupid.

The bolded is a white hot take but you do you boo.

BULLET TRAIN
5/10
Tarratino versus Guy Ritchie.
Sound atrocious.
Brad Pitt plays the same wooden character as in every other movie he's been in.
Plot= boobkas
Direction=boobkas.
Ending= Average.
french reaction gif GIF

In the Name of the Father (1993, Netflix) -
"A man's coerced confession to an I.R.A. bombing he did not commit results in the imprisonment of his father as well. An English lawyer fights to free them." Really don't know why I didn't love this as it has great direction, acting and an interesting real life event. Sometimes I don't understand my taste, or lack thereof. Still good though. Interesting to see how relatively lax the restrictions were in a 1970's/80's English maximum security prison. Pool tables, metal cutlery and hanging out with cellmates seemingly as you please were all apparently fine. 7/10.

Greed (1924, Youtube) -
"The sudden fortune won from a lottery fans such destructive greed that it ruins the lives of the three people involved."
A silent film that is just awesome. Theme is relevant to this day. Some moments scream the 1920's though such as the seeing people eat the skulls of animals with their hands at a wedding feast (48:40 in the film). WTAF. 9/10.

Apparently there's a 4 hour version and the director originally wanted an 8 hour version. 2hrs suited just fine.

I thought Martyrs was so gratuitous and pretentious that it became more comical than anything for me. Ridiculous film (and one that i had recommend by alot of horror fans)
Fair enough. What type of horror movies do you enjoy?

Men (2022) by Alex Garland.

After her husband dies tragically, a woman checks into an old house in a quiet English village. She meets a few strange characters and there's some religious imagery - so it has a bit of Wicker Man feel. Then it goes jump scare horror with a twist of Straw Dogs. Then ends with full on David Cronenberg!

Visually it's a treat - it's beautifully shot. The soundtrack reminded me a little of Crosby, Stills and Nash. Jessie Buckley was good in the lead role but Rory Kinnear was outstanding.

You are left to ponder what it was all about. Is it the inevitable male abuse of females? I think there was more to it than that. There was symbolism of the Garden of Eden and Eve's role in the fall of man. Her husband literally fell to his death. Was the male character, played by the same actor, a representation of Adam? All man.

It's definitely too weird for most people's tastes. But I liked it and will watch it again.

7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think of recent stuff Hereditary and Get Out have been superb.
I thought Get Out was clever and enjoyable, but couldn't get into Hereditary. It seems there's a dearth of good horror movies lately so I'm watching a lot of older movies.

And i just read Jake Gyllenhaal is doing a Roadhouse remake with... Conor McGregor.

I just... what is he doing...
I’ve been wondering that for a while.

About 2 or so years ago, he (Gyllenhaal) started appearing in some terrible choice of films, after about ten years of mostly decent ones.

I wonder whether he’s just going for higher paying/grossing films like the trash he’s made with Michael Bay, or he’s in that stage of his career where the better offers just aren’t coming.

Men (2022) by Alex Garland.

After her husband dies tragically, a woman checks into an old house in a quiet English village. She meets a few strange characters and there's some religious imagery - so it has a bit of Wicker Man feel. Then it goes jump scare horror with a twist of Straw Dogs. Then ends with full on David Cronenberg!

Visually it's a treat - it's beautifully shot. The soundtrack reminded me a little of Crosby, Stills and Nash. Jessie Buckley was good in the lead role but Rory Kinnear was outstanding.

You are left to ponder what it was all about. Is it the inevitable male abuse of females? I think there was more to it than that. There was symbolism of the Garden of Eden and Eve's role in the fall of man. Her husband literally fell to his death. Was the male character, played by the same actor, a representation of Adam? All man.

It's definitely too weird for most people's tastes. But I liked it and will watch it again.

7/10
I enjoyed the first hour, but that last half hour when it went full horror (David Cronenberg as you say) wasn’t my cup of tea. Yuck.

I agree on Rory Kinnear though, he was great playing multiple characters, especially given he usually tends to play straight men.

Last edited:
I’ve been wondering that for a while.

About 2 or so years ago, he (Gyllenhaal) started appearing in some terrible choice of films, after about ten years of mostly decent ones.

I wonder whether he’s just going for higher paying/grossing films like the trash he’s made with Michael Bay, or he’s in that stage of his career where the better offers just aren’t coming.
There’s no way he’s not getting good offers. He’s a quality actor. Nightcrawler, Prisoners and End of Watch were great but just seems he’s gone for films with great potential that didn’t deliver.

Thirteen Lives on Prime

Its the story of the 13 children stuck in the flooded caves in Thailand a few years ago, i am sure everyone knows the story.

Its really well done considering it was made by an American (Ron Howard directed) but not sure its necessary given how good the doco on it (The Rescue on Disney plus) is. Its worth watching if you are still interested in the story but do yourself a favour and watch the doco too. That is brilliant

Thirteen Lives on Prime

Its the story of the 13 children stuck in the flooded caves in Thailand a few years ago, i am sure everyone knows the story.

Its really well done considering it was made by an American (Ron Howard directed) but not sure its necessary given how good the doco on it (The Rescue on Disney plus) is. Its worth watching if you are still interested in the story but do yourself a favour and watch the doco too. That is brilliant
Any sign of Elon Musk in it?

Top Gun: Maverick - Joseph Kosinski directs a movie where Miles Teller evades fighter jets - awesome
Spiderhead - Joseph Kosinski directs a movie where Miles Teller evades a woman with shit on her fingers - not so awesome

Interesting premise but mostly forgettable and a weird third act. Won't be winning many awards.

5/10

Thor: love and thunder

I really enjoyed this, it’s got some flaws and Taika is doing the most Taika possible but like a lot of his films I thought the heart and humour worked well. Bale was a great villain and it did everything I wanted. I’d say this is the best post endgame MCU film alongside Far from home.

Keen for this
Very much back to basics for the franchise that has seemingly jumped the shark, slow build up with some fantastic action scenes that mirror the original

Interesting setting that hasn’t been explored much film wise as well

Not perfect but very enjoyable, along with Thor and Top Gun Mav it seems that we are seeing some moves back to studios making fun popcorn flicks again, something I feel I have missed over the past 10 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back