Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

The Menu. Very good. Funny that it's classed as a comedy because it's obviously not your traditional comedy, but it is a funny commentary on all the usual stuff you see these days, I guess would you call Parasite a comedy? Cos that was pretty funny too at times. Anyway I liked it, Anya Taylor-Joy is the best actress in Hollywood at the moment imo, just good in everything she's in and she is really an incredibly good looking human. Ralph Fiennes incredible as the chef.
I reckon go see this if you're looking for something to watch. It had that eerie kind of '**** what's actually going to happen here' feeling for most of the movie which is just a big part of a movie isn't it?
Cool conclusion. I wonder what the vibe would have been like in a fuller theatre, with a crowd more aware of the comedy aspects of the movie. My cinema was pretty empty, I think there were 7 including me, and I couldn't hear anyone else at least s******ing or chuckling at the things I was laughing at so it was a bit weird. Reminds me of Licorice Pizza when the woman behind me was really pissing herself at things that weren't really that funny, but then she got mad at the guy doing the Asian voice thing. Lol.
Probably my favorite 'commentary' was the character Nicholas Hoult played, when the antagonist said that his character had taken the joy or mystery out of what he did. Which is such an interesting thought, and it can be applied to so much of life these days, even this thread and me right now.
I read somewhere that Daniel Radcliffe was supposed to play the actor as himself which would've been classic.
I wonder where this will rank on my end of year movie list, probably top 3 at this stage. 8/10, but I rated it 7/10 on my IMDB.

Poker Face. Wow, this was really impressive. I love Rusty, and he did a good job of directing it. A good Aussie film! Critically getting smashed, not sure why. It was better than most of the shit you come across on streaming these days. It's a basic story and nothing really that new or unique, but whatever. I liked it. Had no idea that was Liam Hemsworth by the way. Give it a watch if you have Stan. 6.5/10.

Last edited:

X Men - Days of Future Past: Channel surfing Disney+ on Saturday night and it strangely occurred to me that I had never seen this despite loving X Men Fist Class (easily the best X men flick). This was solid, pretty cool seeing the previous and current x men together. Solid story line Michael Fassbender makes a bad ass Magneto again and Quicksilver is fantastic. I've heard pretty terrible things about Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix though. Ill give Apocalypse a go and see how I go from there. 8/10

X Men - Days of Future Past: Channel surfing Disney+ on Saturday night and it strangely occurred to me that I had never seen this despite loving X Men Fist Class (easily the best X men flick). This was solid, pretty cool seeing the previous and current x men together. Solid story line Michael Fassbender makes a bad ass Magneto again and Quicksilver is fantastic. I've heard pretty terrible things about Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix though. Ill give Apocalypse a go and see how I go from there. 8/10
Cant agree on first class being the best but solid on the rest,

Apocalypse is bad Dark Phoenix is horrendous. Makes the last stand look like Citizen Kane.

X-Men is a fascinating franchise.

The first two were responsible for making comic book films cool again, along with Spider-Man, which is a strong legacy.

The third was trash and killed the franchise, until it didn’t and First Class reignited things. DoFP blended the two eras perfectly and I was back on board, having sworn off them.

Then Apocalypse happened and it was all over again. The less said about Dark Phoenix the better; that was just the nail in the coffin.

To see a film series have so many significant ups and downs is rare. You tend to see them gradually decline, or jump the shark and stop, but I can’t recall any others that have had the run that X-Men had (and maybe still has).

Cant agree on first class being the best but solid on the rest,

Apocalypse is bad Dark Phoenix is horrendous. Makes the last stand look like Citizen Kane.

Yeah Last Stand wasnt good, I only liked the fact Frasier was Beast. The very first two X Men were good but there's something about First Class that for me makes it the best. It's really re-watchable.

Sounds like things get worse with Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix though I'm oddly keen to watch them, Ill give Apocalypse a go and report back.

The first Blade was brilliant!!
Second one was better.

Fwiw if you wanna open the “comic book” thing up then chronologically it’s
Batman 89
Returns 92
The Crow 94
Batman Forever 95
Blade 98
X-Men 2000
Spider-Man 02

The issue with stuff like the crow and blade is that they were R rated, deep dive secondary characters. I think Batman 89 then X-Men and Spider-Man were the ones that defined what we see as comic book movies now far more than any others on that list in terms of dollars, universes, franchise etc etc.

I love Blade and Blade 2 (I’d say more than anything before the current MCU) they just weren’t that thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second one was better.

Batman 89
Returns 92
The Crow 94
Batman Forever 95
Blade 98
X-Men 2000
Spider-Man 02

The issue with stuff like the crow and blade is that they were R rated, deep dive secondary characters. I think Batman 89 then X-Men and Spider-Man were the ones that defined what we see as comic book movies now far more than any others on that list in terms of dollars, universes, franchise etc etc.

I love Blade and Blade 2 (I’d say more than anything before the current MCU) they just weren’t that thing.

Aaahhh The Crow, haven't seen that in ages, that was good but bloody dark, not one Ill sit down with my son to watch. I did see the The Crow sequel cant remember much but do remember it wasn't as good.

Just remembering the opening of X Men 2, that sequence with Nightcrawler was awesome.

She Said

The story of the two female New York Times journalists who built and broke the main story against Harvey Weinstein in 2016. Quite a straight-forward retelling but really well executed. Maybe I find this particular material fascinating but I found it gripping. Carey Mulligan kills it and it was great to see Andre Braugher back in another serious role, love that guy.

Not quite Spotlight levels which is that similar kind of film but really entertaining, two hours flew 8/10

Realising I like things about investigate journalism so am going to check out All The Presidents Men which I am told these movies owe a lot to.

Second one was better.

Batman 89
Returns 92
The Crow 94
Batman Forever 95
Blade 98
X-Men 2000
Spider-Man 02

I think Blade absolutely opened the door for more adult-oriented comic book movies, X-Men dialled it down a little and nailed the tone for what was to come, taking in adults and families. Batman, like Superman before it, was a whole different beast, two of the most iconic characters that had already permeated mainstream media. But both petered out with poor sequels before the full renaissance for comic book films.

Second one was better.

Batman 89
Returns 92
The Crow 94
Batman Forever 95
Blade 98
X-Men 2000
Spider-Man 02

It was actually The Punisher in 89

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Someone's forgetting Blade.
I know that’s a Marvel story, but I did forget; I’ve always thought of Blade as a dark action film, but you’re right.

When I say X-Men and Spider-Man made them cool again, I consider the original run being the original Superman, and Tim Burton Batman films, before these two and The Dark Knight opened the gates for the never ending Marvel era.

She Said

The story of the two female New York Times journalists who built and broke the main story against Harvey Weinstein in 2016. Quite a straight-forward retelling but really well executed. Maybe I find this particular material fascinating but I found it gripping. Carey Mulligan kills it and it was great to see Andre Braugher back in another serious role, love that guy.

Not quite Spotlight levels which is that similar kind of film but really entertaining, two hours flew 8/10

Realising I like things about investigate journalism so am going to check out All The Presidents Men which I am told these movies owe a lot to.
ATPM is very good!

Second one was better.

Batman 89
Returns 92
The Crow 94
Batman Forever 95
Blade 98
X-Men 2000
Spider-Man 02

Superman in 1978 (and its sequel in 1980)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back