Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Mr Jones
Absolute harrowing.
This scene was pretty sickening knowing it probably indication of real events that would go on.

Mr Jones: Where did you get this?
girl cooking : Kolya
Mr Jones: Who is Kolya?
girl eating: Our brother

If hazard a guess 80% of people would have no idea that even exists. Not the same as Batman
I'm starring at it

It exists
630eb7278ccf02289fced23ad2d30806.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I'm starring at it

It exists
630eb7278ccf02289fced23ad2d30806.jpg

Yeah and 99% of the planet never saw the b grade over the top violence

X Men - Days of Future Past: Channel surfing Disney+ on Saturday night and it strangely occurred to me that I had never seen this despite loving X Men Fist Class (easily the best X men flick). This was solid, pretty cool seeing the previous and current x men together. Solid story line Michael Fassbender makes a bad ass Magneto again and Quicksilver is fantastic. I've heard pretty terrible things about Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix though. Ill give Apocalypse a go and see how I go from there. 8/10
I loved it. On the edge of your seat to the end

Hard candy was was a good movie. It is slow though

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
Hard candy was something. I still disagree with the consensus however. There is no way she could have all that built up at that age.

8/10

That was a pretty ordinary straight to video movie.
Video store is where I got it from.
After I'd convinced the clerk I was 18 by talking pulp fiction with him, a movie I talked my mum into buying me a ticket for when I was definitely not 18.
Movie was not in the new section at that point

It was produced with all intent of being a cinema release.

It's qualities are definitely greater than straight to video releases of the same era.

Which is fine but still doesnt mean alot of people saw it. Its not in the same league as Batman of the same year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second one was better.

Fwiw if you wanna open the “comic book” thing up then chronologically it’s
Batman 89
Returns 92
The Crow 94
Batman Forever 95
Blade 98
X-Men 2000
Spider-Man 02

The issue with stuff like the crow and blade is that they were R rated, deep dive secondary characters. I think Batman 89 then X-Men and Spider-Man were the ones that defined what we see as comic book movies now far more than any others on that list in terms of dollars, universes, franchise etc etc.

I love Blade and Blade 2 (I’d say more than anything before the current MCU) they just weren’t that thing.
And spawn 👌

The Big Sick (2017)

Movie about a Pakistani comedian who falls in love with a white American girl. Great performances. An easy watch. Some good humour sprinkled in there. I chuckled a couple times. Ray Romano plays a good cameo.

Enjoyed it heaps. Check it out.

7/10
mostly autobiographical too

Which is fine but still doesnt mean alot of people saw it. Its not in the same league as Batman of the same year.
My comment was like 70% a joke

But it was the first time Marvel dabbles in film. Or actually that might have been Howard the Duck...

Decision to Leave - Another of Park Chan-Wook's erotic (without the sex) thrillers. I prefer The Handmaiden a fair bit more, but this has a lot going for it, particularly Park's directing. Basic premise involves a detective trying to solve the case of a dead man, which brings him into the orbit of the widowed wife. Maybe the most visually striking film I've seen this year, even though some of those flourishes might come at the expense of the film itself. 8/10

Aftersun - Haven't seen much of Paul Mescal since Normal People, but this confirms my take that he's probably the best young male actor under 30 going around. Here he plays an extremely young father to a 11-year-old girl as the two of them take a holiday together. There's a quiet coming of age story wrapped in a film about memory and even mystery. A terrific first-time debut by director Charlotte Wells. Expect a rewatch would be very rewarding. 8/10

Tar - If Aftersun deserves a rewatch than TAR practically demands it. High buzz, this didn't disappoint. Lydia Tar is one of the most fascinating characters put to screen. It's maybe the most perfect film for this cultural moment, but I wouldn't dare try and label it as a 'Me Too' or 'Cancel Culture' film. Darkly funny, a couple of truly outstanding scenes including a oner. Hope we're not waiting this long for another Todd Field film. 9/10

I miss 3D movies. I even bought a tv with 3D mode at the time they were popular and the 3D got zero use. I doubt I'll bother with the new Avatar movie because 3D is what made the first one memorable.
3D movies are coming back for mine. Absolutely nothing to do with medical marijuana being made legal.

The Hunt (Jagten) (2012)
Set in a small Danish village around Christmas, and follows a man who becomes the target of mass hysteria after being wrongly accused of sexually abusing a child in his kindergarten class.

Written and directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who made Another Round (Druk), also starring 3 of the 4 guys from that film including Mads Mikkelsen as the accused teacher.

Thought this was a really neat film with an interesting story. It is established from the beginning that the protagonist is innocent so it's not a mystery, nor does it place blame on the child that tells the lie or anybody else. It's more of study of human behaviour, I guess. I fully understood the behaviour of most of the townspeople, who acted either in fear, disgust or anger when they believed one of their own friends had been doing such horrendous things. The story also does a good job of vindicating their belief in the child.

It's pretty uncomfortable at times, and there's one character in particular that plays a small but pivotal part in all of the events that faces no repercussions, which I found frustrating, but that's life. The child actress was really good and heart breaking to watch at times, with her confusion growing as the adults around her sought justice even as she told them she had originally lied.

Being a Danish film there's an element of humour at times which helps.

I'd recommend this if you enjoyed Another Round or The Worst Person in the World.

The Hunt (Jagten) (2012)
Set in a small Danish village around Christmas, and follows a man who becomes the target of mass hysteria after being wrongly accused of sexually abusing a child in his kindergarten class.

Written and directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who made Another Round (Druk), also starring 3 of the 4 guys from that film including Mads Mikkelsen as the accused teacher.

Thought this was a really neat film with an interesting story. It is established from the beginning that the protagonist is innocent so it's not a mystery, nor does it place blame on the child that tells the lie or anybody else. It's more of study of human behaviour, I guess. I fully understood the behaviour of most of the townspeople, who acted either in fear, disgust or anger when they believed one of their own friends had been doing such horrendous things. The story also does a good job of vindicating their belief in the child.

It's pretty uncomfortable at times, and there's one character in particular that plays a small but pivotal part in all of the events that faces no repercussions, which I found frustrating, but that's life. The child actress was really good and heart breaking to watch at times, with her confusion growing as the adults around her sought justice even as she told them she had originally lied.

Being a Danish film there's an element of humour at times which helps.

I'd recommend this if you enjoyed Another Round or The Worst Person in the World.

Has a great ending too. Something hollywood movies like this fail to accomplish most of the time, except for Tar.

Star Wars Ep 3 - Revenge of the Sith

Original trilogy done and this one is easily the best. Quite enjoyed it, no issues with Christensen this time around, he was fine. Did feel a little like the post final battle/pre ep 4 stuff was a little bit rushed but it’s fine.

In hindsight I don’t think I’d ever seen this whole movie, definitely seen parts but never the whole thing.

X Men Apocalypse: So this had promise, the opening was really good. The first ever mutant, ancient Egypt an uprising then the cage fight and Magneto's private life unravelling, I was wondering what Bigfooty was thinking. But then yeah, turned pretty bad. Not as bad as I thought it would be but not its not great. Its a shame, this could have been great, the plot had real promise but badly executed. 5/10.

Edit: Special mentions to the scenes with Wolverine running rampage and Quicksilver's building evacuation, they were sweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back