Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Amsterdam
Enjoyed this on Saturday night. Thought Bale was very funny in his role. Margot was good too. Not sure why Washington has copped it over his performance, think a lot of the feedback was the character he was actually supposed to be playing. Another whodunnit movie really, however with an interesting twist. I loved all the cameos, the early part of the movie when a familiar face would be introduced and they'd just hold that shot for an extra second or two was pretty funny, I know that has had some criticism, but when you're watching a movie in the cinema it's a bit like oh cool now we get to see ____ too, you know? I dunno why this has gone so badly at the box office, I suppose movies like this may not make money anymore but I loved it. Loved the overarching theme of the whole movie and yeah, it was great. De Niro was good too. Probably my favorite movie so far of 2022. 8.5/10.

Wolf Creek
Have managed to have never seen this before. I think looking on it now, 4 days on, it's a good movie. But I really didn't enjoy it at the time. I know a horror movie is supposed to be like that, and I'm not sure if it was the Australian aspect that made it more relatable which made it more terrifying, but anyway it was tough. The antagonist was fantastic at what he did, charismatic when he needed to be etc, but yeah, horror movies aren't my thing. 5/10.
Saw Amsterdam tonight, amazing cast and some good performances, but found myself drifting in and out a lot and didn’t hold my interest for long. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood for it, idk.

Probably just give it a 5/10 on the cast alone, but felt like a waste of their talents for the most part. Don’t think I’ll revisit.
Amsterdam

Went and saw this at the cinema yesterday. I thought it was good without being great, but it's hard to put my finger on what, exactly, didn't quite click for me. Directed by David O. Russell, the cast was certainly impressive (Christian Bale, John David Washington, Margot Robbie, Chris Rock, Anya Taylor-Joy, Robert DeNiro, Rami Malik, Timothy Olyphant, Michael Shannon, Taylor Swift etc) and they were all good in it, especially Bale.

Overall, it was certainly worth watching but I probably wouldn't watch it again. Perhaps my expectations were too high given the names attached.
Amsterdam - it wasnt amazing but I enjoyed it enough. Bale as usual is great and the story is one I havent heard before, but you wouldnt know it from the trailers as they didnt even give anything away apart from showcasing all the talent involved in the film. It makes me think that was one of the reasons it flopped so badly, most people are not going to turn up to a film without knowing what the film is about.

Causeway - I liked it but it just ends and feels pointless when your done.
I saw this on the weekend and can’t figure out why it was so poorly rated by critics.

It’s not amazing, and it’s not even in David O Russell’s top 3 (The Fighter, American Hustle, Joy), but I was entertained throughout.

It’s certainly not the shit show I’d read about since its release, and would be better than many films that seem to get a free pass mark.

Christian Bale was good, as always, but I do agree that John David Washington was wooden, as he has been in most things I’ve seen him in.

I saw this on the weekend and can’t figure out why it was so poorly rated by critics.

It’s not amazing, and it’s not even in David O Russell’s top 3 (The Fighter, American Hustle, Joy), but I was entertained throughout.

It’s certainly not the s**t show I’d read about since its release, and would be better than many films that seem to get a free pass mark.

Christian Bale was good, as always, but I do agree that John David Washington was wooden, as he has been in most things I’ve seen him in.
Joy… wow, wouldn’t have that near his top 3 personally.

Joy… wow, wouldn’t have that near his top 3 personally.
I didn’t love it, but I enjoyed it a lot more than the others that I’ve seen in Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, and Silver Linings Playbook.

Special mention to the clips of him going feral on set at Lily Tomlin.

I didn’t love it, but I enjoyed it a lot more than the others that I’ve seen in Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, and Silver Linings Playbook.

Special mention to the clips of him going feral on set at Lily Tomlin.
I’d have all of them above joy, three kings probably first (also allegedly had a fist fight with Clooney on that set).

Connery's charisma/presence is off the charts in that film. Its basically the reason the film works so well.
The buddy cop element of nuerotic Nic Cage and sexy Sean is brilliant.

Throw in some great villains (including a properly sympathetic Ed Harris and a truly evil Tony Todd).

I joke about it being flawless but as an action adventure film it’s pretty ****ing close to perfect.

I watched Dune and was seriously surprised to see how highly it’s rated. Quite a boring movie, nothing really happened. I think people are forcing themselves to like it because of its history and it being a Denis Villeneuve movie. Maybe the second part will redeem it, but right now as a standalone movie I could not watch another 2 and a half hours of nice looking shots of a desert again. I don’t understand how this movie costed the same as Blade Runner 2049 to make. Also with how much marketing Zendaya did for this movie I expected to see her for more then literally 10 minutes.

I watched Dune and was seriously surprised to see how highly it’s rated. Quite a boring movie, nothing really happened. I think people are forcing themselves to like it because of its history and it being a Denis Villeneuve movie. Maybe the second part will redeem it, but right now as a standalone movie I could not watch another 2 and a half hours of nice looking shots of a desert again. I don’t understand how this movie costed the same as Blade Runner 2049 to make. Also with how much marketing Zendaya did for this movie I expected to see her for more then literally 10 minutes.
Great production value, intriguing story, great performances from really great actors (Chalamet in particular). I enjoyed it and cant wait for part 2.

As i understand it Zendaya is a big feature of the next chapter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand the cult status Zendaya has. Does she do other amazing stuff that white Aussie dudes in their 40's wouldn't ever see?
I don’t get it either.

People say Euphoria is good. I should check that out, because I’ve only ever found her to be passable at best (Spider-Man, Dune), or horrible at worst (Malcolm & Marie).

I don’t get it either.

People say Euphoria is good. I should check that out, because I’ve only ever found her to be passable at best (Spider-Man, Dune), or horrible at worst (Malcolm & Marie).
Rough on her Spider-Man piece imo.

She’s amazing in Euphoria and Malcolm and Marie, was probably the best bit of Greatest Showman too.

She’s young, attractive and talented, it’s standard hype imo.

She’s amazing in Euphoria and Malcolm and Marie, was probably the best bit of Greatest Showman too.

If one doesn't find her notably attractive would that affect it? Cause I don't.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Amazing in Malcolm & Marie?

I didn’t know much about her when I saw it, other than that she was in Spider-Man, but I finished watching it and said that I felt like I’d just watched a high school student over emoting and trying to act like a grown up for two hours. The forced facial expressions, the lack of natural responses to conversation, the overly dramatic way of speaking.

I know very little about her but it just felt like she didn’t have the life experience to draw upon for what was supposed to be a deep emotional role.. or she just couldn’t act for shit.

It reminded me of Ryan Atwood in The O.C - I loved that show, but pee-ew was that some serious over acting.

If one doesn't find her notably attractive would that affect it? Cause I don't.

Probably. All of that is wrapped up in the whole “star” power thing.

I don’t necessarily find her attractive (mostly cause she’s like 24 and looks 21) but she’s absolutely stunning, charismatic, natural and talented (imo).

Amazing in Malcolm & Marie?

I didn’t know much about her when I saw it, other than that she was in Spider-Man, but I finished watching it and said that I felt like I’d just watched a high school student over emoting and trying to act like a grown up for two hours. The forced facial expressions, the lack of natural responses to conversation, the overly dramatic way of speaking.

I know very little about her but it just felt like she didn’t have the life experience to draw upon for what was supposed to be a deep emotional role.. or she just couldn’t act for s**t.

It reminded me of Ryan Atwood in The O.C - I loved that show, but pee-ew was that some serious over acting.
Fair enough. I don’t agree, I thought she was really great.

She’s the new “hot” talent is more my point. Last person I can think of having her sort of pull was J-Law.

Probably. All of that is wrapped up in the whole “star” power thing.

I don’t necessarily find her attractive (mostly cause she’s like 24 and looks 21) but she’s absolutely stunning, charismatic, natural and talented (imo).
She looks about 14 beneath the neck and I found her Spiderman character cliche and annoying for like 2/3 films.

Put me in the old guy who doesn't get it basket.

Is her cult thing because she's decided to only one have one name?

Last edited:
Ahhhh yeh, didnt realise you were talking big budget.

The first paragraph is choc full of mostly smaller indie types that are really really good that he is really really good in.

Bigger budget stuff… I think he’s still been good (he’s the best part of assassins creed) but results of the actual films have varied.

Was Assassins Creed any good? Saw it come up on one of my streaming services.

Saying she looks 21 is generous. Wouldn't look the slightest bit out of place amongst a bunch of (actual) high schoolers IMO. Got those Selena Gomez genes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back