Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Flamin' Hot (2023 Disney+)

Based on a true story about a Latino janitor at a Lays/Frito Factory who comes up with the Flamin' Hot topping and convinces the company's CEO (Pepsi Co) to try it. This isn't a bad movie and is very family-friendly. I couldn't help but feel this was the sugar-coated version of events portrayed in a way to accentuate all the positive themes. There are some dark elements concerning racism, but it's washed over so quickly that it never feels threatening. Even the local Hispanic gangbangers and drug dealers are shown in a positive light. They ripped off Michael Peña in Ant-Man in how they did a couple of scenes. 6/10

Fast X. If you enjoy the fast movies you will thoroughly enjoy it.

if you don't like over the top un-realistic action, corny 1 liners, bad acting and basic story you will not enjoy it.

As a fast fan 8/10
As a movie 3/10

Finally watched today and totally agree 100%.

Much better balance of action too.

Good to see Smallville Aquaman and DCEU Aquaman in the same film haha. (Actually no surprise how many other superhero actors in this too)

Lot of fun and the time flew by even for a 2.5 hour movie.

Lot of fun.

The Menu (2022)

Watch it purely on The Critical Drinker's suggestion and pretty good flick from start to finish.

A young couple travels to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.
Watched this last night due to the mentions in this thread.

Weird, unusual, but I thought it was good.

Real interesting how they made it too from memory.
Found this just then. Interesting story. I think the movie is worth another watch. So many questions left unanswered

I'm interested to know how they did those naked scenes with the errections. How they made it work. Could have been very confronting on set.

Under the Skin 2013

Do yourself a favor and don't read the summary before watching. I really hate how they do this, I don't watch trailers for this reason.

I'm not going to rate it yet as it's one of the most bizarre and perplexing films I've ever seen. I need to unpack this one.

I think this was fantastic, might be a bit arty for some but it was really very original. A lot of questions and emotions from it.

Documentary from 1976 about a miner's strike in Kentucky. Won the Academy Award for best documentary. Available in full on youtube

Cheers for that! :D Been trying to track down a viewing of that one for a few years. Will try and watch it sometime this week.

Technically stunning, but not much more going for it. 3.5 hours is much, much too long a time to stretch this story across. Would be a better movie if it was at least an hour shorter. As it is, it just feels self indulgent, like nobody was willing or able to tell James Cameron to tighten it up a bit. Having 5 different people credited with the story may also help explain why it feels lacking in focus. I guess if you loved the original movie (did anyone actually love the original movie?) then you might appreciate that side of it more.

Sam Worthington may be the least charismatic actor ever to lead a major movie franchise, so the decision to sideline his character in favour of his kids for much of the movie was probably a wise one.

But you can't deny the technical achievement. As animated movies go, this is the gold standard in technology. A lot of it is truly stunning to look at. I imagine it would have been even more impressive on a giant cinema screen but at the same time I probably would have found the excessive run time unbearable in a cinema. But even at home with a decent TV and home theatre set up it was very impressive.

Overall it was worth watching but I don't regret waiting for streaming rather than watching it at the cinema.

I think this was fantastic, might be a bit arty for some but it was really very original. A lot of questions and emotions from it.

A good follow-up movie would be The Lobster.

After his wife leaves him, David is transported to a hotel where he has to find a partner in 45 days, failing which he will be converted into an animal of his liking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under the Skin 2013

Do yourself a favor and don't read the summary before watching. I really hate how they do this, I don't watch trailers for this reason.

I'm not going to rate it yet as it's one of the most bizarre and perplexing films I've ever seen. I need to unpack this one.

Yeah I watched it on SBS on demand a few years ago.

Still don't know what I think of it. You certainly spend most of the movie wondering where it's going

Under the Skin 2013

Soundtrack is worth it alone. Incredible, and I’m not really a soundtrack guy. Movie itself is way too slow for mine.

A good follow-up movie would be The Lobster.

After his wife leaves him, David is transported to a hotel where he has to find a partner in 45 days, failing which he will be converted into an animal of his liking.
The directors follow up Sacred Killing of a Deer is worth it too.

Bros (2022, Netflix)

If you're open to a romcom centred around a gay male relationship and can endure some some all-dude sex scenes, highly recommend this one. In the mold of Crazy Rich Asians in the sense that it is a well-written big studio romcom which includes some social/political commentary. Doesn't take itself seriously though and it is often self-satirical about queer dating culture. It a genre pretty flooded with crap this was a very welcome surprise 7.5/10

21 Grams. Originally saw this at Nova back in the day. I somehow forgot Benicio was in this and he was probably the reason I went to see this back then. I forgot what a great screen presence he has. The performances are good which carry the film. Not sure why Naomi Watts career fell off they way it has and she held her own here.

I wonder how this film would be rated if it was released today.

When reading up imdb trivia Amores Perros was mentioned, for some reason I thought this was a english remake of that film which turns out not to be the case and I still have not scene that film. Has anyone here seen it and is it any good?

21 Grams. Originally saw this at Nova back in the day. I somehow forgot Benicio was in this and he was probably the reason I went to see this back then. I forgot what a great screen presence he has. The performances are good which carry the film. Not sure why Naomi Watts career fell off they way it has and she held her own here.

I wonder how this film would be rated if it was released today.

When reading up imdb trivia Amores Perros was mentioned, for some reason I thought this was a english remake of that film which turns out not to be the case and I still have not scene that film. Has anyone here seen it and is it any good?
I may well have been in the same cinema! I remember thinking the acting was good and the visuals and all that good too - but I struggled with what the point of it all was, especially the "21 grams" voiceover at the end - it seemed to smack of deepity.

What was your take upon this second viewing, also assuming with a more mature and developed mind for what it all might have meant?

Not sure why Naomi Watts career fell off they way it has and she held her own here.
If I had to guess, it's because she's 54. Her breakthrough role was Mulholland Drive and she was already 33, a long career in A-list films in Hollywood was probably never in the cards. She appears to have invested in TV roles in previous years, which is where talented older actresses are more appreciated these days.

Avatar - Way of Water. Was tempted in the end but never made my way to the cinema for it but finally watched this on disney+. The CGI is great, not sure that level of CGI is viable from a time and money stand point for other films.

Some of the dialogue is awful and the villians are paper thin and it is way too long. So yeah I guess for me same as the first one, visually amazing but lacking everywhere else.

I may well have been in the same cinema! I remember thinking the acting was good and the visuals and all that good too - but I struggled with what the point of it all was, especially the "21 grams" voiceover at the end - it seemed to smack of deepity.

What was your take upon this second viewing, also assuming with a more mature and developed mind for what it all might have meant?

I think back then I may have found the voiceover more profound and viewed it through a meaning of life perspective, unfortunately now the words are more sombre and relatable once you have suffered loss.

The only part of the film I struggled with was Sean Penns' character motivation until he actually explains it to Naomi Watts character and says he couldnt sleep thinking about the person who died so he could get a new heart. He really sold that line and gave the character more depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back