Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

If I had to guess, it's because she's 54. Her breakthrough role was Mulholland Drive and she was already 33, a long career in A-list films in Hollywood was probably never in the cards. She appears to have invested in TV roles in previous years, which is where talented older actresses are more appreciated these days.

The last thing I saw her in was Boss Level. She kinda phoned it in. I guess its hard when you prob have Kate Winslet and Nicole Kidman going for those same roles in the prestige TV space too.

21 Grams. Originally saw this at Nova back in the day. I somehow forgot Benicio was in this and he was probably the reason I went to see this back then. I forgot what a great screen presence he has. The performances are good which carry the film. Not sure why Naomi Watts career fell off they way it has and she held her own here.

I wonder how this film would be rated if it was released today.

When reading up imdb trivia Amores Perros was mentioned, for some reason I thought this was a english remake of that film which turns out not to be the case and I still have not scene that film. Has anyone here seen it and is it any good?
Yeah Amores is brilliant. Typical Iñárritu offering, gritty, brutal, gut wrenching at times and sad. The actor who plays the old man is terrific. I might check it myself again as it's been years since I first watched this.

So Sunday night, torturing myself watching Carlton and finally switched off after Essendon had kicked their 6th in a row, so I turned to Stan and watched:

The Book of Eli: One of those movies I kept meaning to watch but never got around to it. First of all I loved the scenery, the film nailed a post apocalyptic world (actually reminded me of the video game Rage 2 which I hit after). The plot was somewhat intriguing however it really seemed to fast forward or jump to the conclusion, one minute he's wandering what appears to be the mid west on foot then suddenly he's in San Fran Cisco, by driving, when there is **** all resources about let alone fuel. Love Gary Oldman, brilliant actor but not his best performance, he really didn't put much charisma into his villain. Denzel was ok, he's played the skilled killer a few times, this time with a holy crusade and there are a couple of decent fight scenes. Was decent but wouldn't watch it again. 6/10.

The Covenant - I really wanted to like this as war flicks are a genre that I get into. But, this was uneven with pacing issues and really laid it on thick in the last stanza.

I could break the film into the 3 acts, the first was really good, second went for too long and the final act felt rushed. Performances were ok but not the finest film for Guy Ritchie (this was a real departure for him). Would I watch again, not really. 4/10

Technically stunning, but not much more going for it. 3.5 hours is much, much too long a time to stretch this story across. Would be a better movie if it was at least an hour shorter. As it is, it just feels self indulgent, like nobody was willing or able to tell James Cameron to tighten it up a bit. Having 5 different people credited with the story may also help explain why it feels lacking in focus. I guess if you loved the original movie (did anyone actually love the original movie?) then you might appreciate that side of it more.

Sam Worthington may be the least charismatic actor ever to lead a major movie franchise, so the decision to sideline his character in favour of his kids for much of the movie was probably a wise one.

But you can't deny the technical achievement. As animated movies go, this is the gold standard in technology. A lot of it is truly stunning to look at. I imagine it would have been even more impressive on a giant cinema screen but at the same time I probably would have found the excessive run time unbearable in a cinema. But even at home with a decent TV and home theatre set up it was very impressive.

Overall it was worth watching but I don't regret waiting for streaming rather than watching it at the cinema.
I saw this at IMAX 3D and it blew me away, i think ive mentioned before but as a new dad at the time the fatherhood elements hit me in the feels a little but its a pure spectacle that does everything you want and literally not one thing more.
Bros (2022, Netflix)

If you're open to a romcom centred around a gay male relationship and can endure some some all-dude sex scenes, highly recommend this one. In the mold of Crazy Rich Asians in the sense that it is a well-written big studio romcom which includes some social/political commentary. Doesn't take itself seriously though and it is often self-satirical about queer dating culture. It a genre pretty flooded with crap this was a very welcome surprise 7.5/10
Yeh i really enjoyed this and it honestly felt like no one else watched it.

Hotel Mumbai (2017, Netflix) -
Average Aussie made thriller based off the 2008 terror attacks. Let down by a telegraphed script and narrow focus. The shocking reality though gives it some juice. 5/10.

Taxi Driver (1976, Netflix) -
Finally a movie where I can see the genius of Scorsese. The dark tone, sleazy New York setting and disorientating main character reminds me of the novel Bright Lights, Big City. The anger, loneliness and warped sense of purpose portrayed by a magnetic DeNiro is just as relevant today. Worth it for the jazz soundtrack alone. An out and out classic. 10/10.

The Covenant - I really wanted to like this as war flicks are a genre that I get into. But, this was uneven with pacing issues and really laid it on thick in the last stanza.

I could break the film into the 3 acts, the first was really good, second went for too long and the final act felt rushed. Performances were ok but not the finest film for Guy Ritchie (this was a real departure for him). Would I watch again, not really. 4/10
:(

I’ve been really looking forward to this as I love Guy Richie (well his gangsta films anyway) and loved Jake in Jarhead.

Will still be watching obviously. Will report back! I love War films/TV but can be quite critical of them due to my own military background. My favourites are generally the ones that highlight dialogue and shit talking between soldiers than 2 hrs of explosions and unlimited ammo.

:(

I’ve been really looking forward to this as I love Guy Richie (well his gangsta films anyway) and loved Jake in Jarhead.

Will still be watching obviously. Will report back! I love War films/TV but can be quite critical of them due to my own military background. My favourites are generally the ones that highlight dialogue and s**t talking between soldiers than 2 hrs of explosions and unlimited ammo.
Still watch it - don't take my viewing as gospel.

I found myself comparing it to the Outpost given the theatre of war that I found a very good watch.

Watched Dante's Peak on the telly last night.

Wiki'd it after and was surprised to read it got negative reviews when released. That's crazy to me. This is a damn fine disaster adventure flick. Critics must have been much harsher back then. The 90s was a golden era for disaster movies. James Bond and Sarah Connor rock it.

Watched Dante's Peak on the telly last night.

Wiki'd it after and was surprised to read it got negative reviews when released. That's crazy to me. This is a damn fine disaster adventure flick. Critics must have been much harsher back then. The 90s was a golden era for disaster movies. James Bond and Sarah Connor rock it.
If memory serves this was the counter to Volcano with Tommy Lee (in the same way Deep Impact was the counter to Armageddon) and just like those, Dantes Peak was the more grounded "serious" version.

Much like those two the general crowd pleaser was Volcano but Dantes Peak was definitely better in just about every way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If memory serves this was the counter to Volcano with Tommy Lee (in the same way Deep Impact was the counter to Armageddon) and just like those, Dantes Peak was the more grounded "serious" version.

Much like those two the general crowd pleaser was Volcano but Dantes Peak was definitely better in just about every way.
I remember Volcano, even as like a 6 year old I knew that was bullshit. I never seen Dante's Peak till later in life. I had science teachers who always ripped on volcano.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The Flash

Its pretty great for comic book nerds like me, id have to think that if youre not well versed in the deep historical cuts then it might not really land for you.

If this is the beginning of the end for the current phase of the DCEU then this is a great way to go out.
I think they need to ditch the whole extended universe thing. They've done some great standalone DC movies (eg The Batman, Joker, Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, the OG Superman back in the day etc). The universe thing is just unnecessary and sooner or later collapses under its own weight (as Marvel is currently doing).

Has anyone seen Next Goal Wins? A documentary about a soccer coach who takes on the American Samoa national team. It's on Stan

I see that Taika Waititi is directing a movie version. Looks like a Cool Runnings style one
Yeh the doco is really good. Highly recommend it, the movie looks alright, big fan of Fassbender

Has anyone seen Next Goal Wins? A documentary about a soccer coach who takes on the American Samoa national team. It's on Stan

I see that Taika Waititi is directing a movie version. Looks like a Cool Runnings style one
I'm familiar with the story, isn't the starting point getting walloped by the Socceroos?

I remember Volcano, even as like a 6 year old I knew that was bullshit. I never seen Dante's Peak till later in life. I had science teachers who always ripped on volcano.

Similar to Armageddon and Deep Impact… which was kinda my point.

Armageddon and Volcano were big dumb flashy explosion disaster movies.

Deep Impact and Dante’s Peak were a bit slower and more thoughtful and (semi) realistic.

Having said that, I still love Armageddon and woukd watch it over Deep Impact any day, I’d also pick Dante’s over volcano.

Similar to Armageddon and Deep Impact… which was kinda my point.

Armageddon and Volcano were big dumb flashy explosion disaster movies.

Deep Impact and Dante’s Peak were a bit slower and more thoughtful and (semi) realistic.

Having said that, I still love Armageddon and woukd watch it over Deep Impact any day, I’d also pick Dante’s over volcano.
I don't even remember Volcano being exciting. I remember Tommy Lee Jones being an old man slowly running away from a slow moving lava flow and a bunch of people standing around thinking about what they can do to stop the slow moving lava.

I don't even remember Volcano being exciting. I remember Tommy Lee being an old man slowly running away from a slow moving lava flow and a bunch of people standing around thinking about what they can do to stop the slow moving lava.

I think you think I’m arguing with you and I’m not, but Volcano had half of downtown LA being blown up and shit. It was bigger and louder but it was also pretty shit.

Thought I'd give this a go in full and was I disappointed.

Jodie Foster delivered one of her worst and most cringe worthy performances. Supporting cast was cringe and Damon really offer much. Some of the acting was overblown trying to sell a strong message.

4/10. I could have spent my time better than to waste my time watching that junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back